Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > MotorWorld Car Reviews

Old 03-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default Audi B7 A4 2.0T FSI Quattro

Audi B7 A4 2.0T Quattro

Not really a supercar this time, but since I've got this rental A4 for some days, I'd give it a quick try at a simple review.

Specifications

Engine - I4 turbo, 1984 cc
Power - 200 hp @ 5100 rpm
Torque - 280 Nm @ 1800 rpm
Weight -
Fuel Tank - 60 liters
Max Speed (declared) - 235 km/h
Acceleration (declared), 0-100 km/h - 7.7 s
Fuel economy (out of town / town / mixed) - 7.3 / 13.5 / 9.5
Tranny - 6 gears auto

Seats - 5
Doors - 5
Lenght / width -
Height -
Boot -

Exterior

Meh... to be honest, I loved the B5 A4, a bit less then B6 and can't really get used to the B7 in lesser forms than the S or RS :bah: it looks too long, too heavy, you know, not as fluid as it used to be, except from some angles.
And this one has winter wheels which look bi-dimensional, not pretty at all.

Interior

Top stuff, just perfect. Great quality, every button seems so spot on, all the gadgets you'd need in such a car are there, with some S-line bonus added like the sporty steering wheel and seats. There isn't a single thing wrong in here, really.

How does it drive?

Well, pretty well. These days as you might know, my daily drive is a B5 A4 2.8 Quattro. This car really feels like the son or nephew it is. So similar, yet so newer and brisk. The new 2.0 TFSI, compared to the old NA V6 I am used to drive really has a good delivery and can stretch its legs from 1500 rpm all the way to the redline like a sportcar. Straightline performance is very honest, with a sub 8 sec 0-100 kmh. You feel the 200 hp despite the weight of the car.
Traction is just great, as any other Quattro. To feel some understeer you really have to push in a corner or mis-judge entry speed. But even in such moments, you never have the impression it could go wrong. It's like being on rails and this A4 feels as sure as every other!
The usual complaint about the light and "electric" steering can be applied to this model too: really nothing coming through it honestly.
The soundtrack isn't inspiring but if you lower the window you can hear some Turbo hissing from time to time :bah:
Anyway, I had to cover lot of km on the highway with this car and it's just perfect, comfy and still funny when you need to overtake somebody.

What are the most positive features of the car?

Comfy
Gadgets
Long distance capability

What are the most negative features of the car?

Probably boring after a while

How do you think this car compares to its direct competition?

We know it: Audi finally managed to close the gap with BMW and Mercedes and is now one of the best manufacturers in Europe. When you need an allrounder with AWD, the A4 is the way to go, and a BMW or Merc wouldbe justified only if you really stress on having a RWD or just another badge, but this aside, the A4 can really be seen as the segment leader IMO.

Conclusion

I am having lot of fun with it, as I always have with rental cars, but can't wait to have the B5 back with its lovely V6 soundtrack

BTW, sorry the uninspired pics, but after a couple of hours doing a photoshoot with a GT3, it was kinda depressing having to take pics of the A4 LOL
Old 03-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
TopGearNL
Regular User

Nice write-up Matteo!

Its still pretty fast and a good handler if you think its only a 2litre and pretty heavy!

But as all audi's its well build and that Quattro is perfect so it seems.

Those wheels are ugly indeed and the colour is a bit boring but for the rest its ok.

But in the end your a petrolhead so I can understand why you want to go back to the V6
Old 03-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
silentm
Regular User

^well the boring color probably only seems like that because the sky is just about the same.

a nice review. thanks for that

and those rims man, just hideous :/
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Firdosh7747
Regular User

Beautiful..

02 Honda CBR 954 RR
Firdosh7747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
gis
Regular User

I love this A4,not the beast the RS4 is,but im sure a nice car.and with the 2 litre turbo,im sure in the future tuning companys will be getting this power up with simple chip and then some

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote