Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-09-2005, 05:06 AM   #16
Regular User

go for the S80, its the best from Volvo
Old 02-09-2005, 05:16 AM   #17
jakaracman
Regular User

Don't forget Opel Signum ... With the big diesel engine ...
Old 02-09-2005, 12:07 PM   #18
Kiran
Regular User

Originally Posted by jakaracman
Don't forget Opel Signum ... With the big diesel engine ...
The Signum is a real 4 seater, it has 2 seats in the back...
And it's kinda ugly

The Vel Satis 2.2 would also be an option if it wasn't so ugly
Kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #19
jon_s
Regular User

Have a look at the Saab 95 Aero too
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #20
1zippo1
Regular User

Well a Saab 9-5 Aero would be very cool of course but it needs to be a diesel because the leasing company only accepts those AND the Aero is a bit above the budget. A 9-5 in Vector edition is allready quite sporty they say.

What also could be an option however is a Volvo V70...

But I like the S80 more and the price is the same.
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #21
jon_s
Regular User

Ahh, well in that case stick with the V6 lol
Old 02-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #22
TransAm
Regular User

http://www.lundsaab.com/safety.htm

This webpage contains some interesting information - why Saabs have the key in the centre console and other innovations.

Anyway, you might be specifically interested in the following from the page:

"...The American National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA) recently released their New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) crash test results for 2003. In this test, the Saab 9-5 Sedan received the highest possible rating, five stars, for the driver and front seat passenger in the frontal impact crash test. The NCAP reports crash test results in a range of one to five stars, with a five star rating for the top level of safety performance in the test..."

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #23
1zippo1
Regular User

An update about my fathers search for a new car:

Not last weekend but the one before, we went to visit Renault, Saab & Volvo. We testdrove a Saab 9-5 3.0 V6 CDTi 177hp. But to be honest I wasn't impressed, the engine responed very slowly to throttle imput. I loved the interior of the Volvo S80 however, the seats are amazing. They just fit you perfectly, it's like they're especially made for you and the rest of the interior is also very very clean & ergonomical. I disliked the 9-5's interior, it looks out dated even in the highest version.

Then the Espace, which is very roomy but the driver seat sucks. It's one of the worst. My moms Yaris has a similar seat... And that for a car which costs more then 3 times the price of a Yaris.

Last weekend we had a testdrive in the S80 2.4D 130hp. The ride & comfort of the Volvo is superb. It absorbs everything with ease but doesn't roll too much in the corners. The 2.4D is also a very slow reacting engine. The D5 is probably better but the 2.4D kinda set my dad off, pitty!

The testdrive with the Espace was a real letdown. We had an appointment but had to wait 30 min extra. The testdrive took 7 minutes... that's bullshit IMO. The people from Volvo just gave my dad the keys and said he can drive as long as he wanted. The people from Renault were really sceptical about the test drive and gave us a wrong price when my dad asked about it.

Next weekend we have a testdrive planned with a Skoda Superb 1.9TDi 130hp & the weekend after it we have an Audi A6 2.0TDi for a weekend. I hope it's an S-line because I think it really enhances the look of the car! And next weekend we're also going to the launch of the new VW Passat.

If my dad takes a Superb or a new Passat he can go for a full-option car and have lots of cool features, but with an A6 he can only get a few options...

I still think he wants an Espace, he's just put of by the salespeople and the terrible seats. But I see his point, it's nice to have a good view on the road & the trunk is also really easy to use. He has to load and unload lots of times a day so...

We'll see what happens, but for me it's a very interesting time!!! I love looking for a new car!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:04 AM   #24
Gnome
Regular User

If you want to buy a 9-5 with a diesel engine you should wait a while. The 2.2 is old, and should be retired. It has been replaced in the 9-3, but for some reason the new engine isn't available in the 9-5. The new engine is more economical and runs cleaner. It's a 1.9 that has 150 hp, and 150 hp is a lot of grunt when it comes from a diesel engine!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:14 AM   #25
jon_s
Regular User

I sadly have to agree, the interior is looking dated now :cry: One of the main reasons why the 9-5 Aero is going reasonably soon
Old 03-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #26
1zippo1
Regular User

Here's the next update. Partly because I like telling about it, partly because I like to heare what you guys think about it.

OVERVIEW

Not a option anymore:
- Renault Espace 2.2Dci (too large for our garage)
- Audi A6 (really bad middle back seat)
- Volvo S80 (trunk opening too small for my dads ecquipement)
- Peugeot 607 (really low trunk)

Still an option:
- Saab 9-5 2.2 120hp
- Skoda Superb 1.9TDi 130hp
- VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140hp
- Honda Accord (Tourer) 2.2 140hp
We have the Audi A6 2.0Tdi 140hp for a testweekend. We got it on friday evening and will return it tomorrow. I've taken some pics of it, but they're currently on another pc. I'll surely post them later!! IMO the new Audi A6 2.0TDi is a sublime car!! I really really love it. It's really nice to drive & I allways thought of it as a very good looking car, better then anything in it's class. With the optional S-Line pack it's even nicer. That 2.0TDi is a real masterpiece too IMO. I'm not used to a short gas pedal like in the A6 so on several occasions I gave it a lot more throttle then I intended too. The engine has more then enough grunt to overtake and spins really nice. The front seats are great, the ride is very good: not too soft, not too hard. The interior is classy, a bit dark but I like that! My only complaints are the fact that you feel the vibration from the engine through the pedals and the fact that the middle seat in the back is useless. For that reason my dad just can't take an A6 and that's a real shame!!! In the middle of the back seat there's a arm rest with a plastic box in it. That box makes the seat real hard.

The Espace allways was a good option but the fact is that it's too large for our garage...

Tomorrow we'll go and return the A6. My sister and my mom are coming along too see how much space there's in the new VW Passat. But I fear it's rather small compared to the A6...

I wonder how big the Accord is in the back, I just can't find any data on the room on elbow level.

IMO the Skoda Superb makes the best option. My dad can take a full option one for his budget!!

Anyway we'll see what happens... The testweekend with the A6 was a real joy![/b]
Old 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM   #27
1zippo1
Regular User

Here are the pics I took and promised to upload.
I've put the first one on my desktop.

The green plates are the garage plates.

Personally I like the look of the car very much, even without the S-Line pack. And that grey-blew color suits it really well IMO.

And the last picture, which Imageshack wouldn't accept:
http://users.pandora.be/p997s/PIC_0016.JPG
Old 03-31-2005, 04:35 AM   #28
1zippo1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Phobo
the espace is too large for your garage? its 4,26cm
But then you can forget the superb(4,80m) the accord ((4,67)and the passat (4,77m) too.

We also have such a fucking problem we have a double garage but only my sisters car fits (skoda fabia).
The Espace is too large, meaning that it's too width to get trough the garage without pulling in the electric mirrors. But my dad sometimes has to hurry in case of an emergency so he'll have no time to cautiously manoeuver out of the garage... Not to mention the fact that my sister will have a lot of difficulties getting the car out unscratched at all