Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
Pokiou
Regular User

Default F1 @ night ?

I just watched the news here on TV and they are saying that F1 or FIA or whom ever is leading the rat pack is gonna take the race away from Melbourne if we dont have the F1 @ night.. WTF.. who the hell can see where they are going @ 300kmph especially @ night... i mean .. you can put as many lighs as you want but it aint like indy car where the track is round and all. Annoyed i am .. VERY ANNOYED !

Im gonna send him a Kangaroo with a bomb in the pouch!
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
saadie
Regular User

Max is gay ... :roll:
Old 05-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
5vz-fe
Regular User

He's prolly envisioning that night vision goggles will be priced so low by 2010 that they can give everyone a pair for free with purchase of tickets.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
Bizi Jones
Regular User

meh, night racing is not going to solve F1, Bernie is so concerned with TV ratings and thinks its cause of the time diff...but the racing, or lack there of, is not going to change and instead will now be broadcasted at 3pm...rather than 8 AM...so what...changes noting as I c it
Bizi Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:59 AM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Sounds like he is jealous of the zillions of dollars NASCAR brings in... so he figures why not model F1 after NASCAR.

Equal spec cars.

Night races.

Whats next? Modelled after Camry's and Passat's?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
Mattk
Regular User

Bad idea. This has been flagged before and the most compelling reason for not having it is safety. There is no effective mechanism for either putting lights of cars or installing floodlights to safely cover the circuit. It's just not viable as a race. Not to mention the fact that no fans, drivers, teams etc. want it.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
Mattk
Regular User

^No, not night time, I don't think. But it's definitely an urban circuit, bordered by tall office buildings.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
saadie
Regular User

i dont see any problwms with the nice races ... other then

when you are sitting in the cockpit you cant see much out of the cockpit ...
you cant see debry on the track
it will be really hard to see the car comming from the back ... again because you cant see much on the back .... andd no head lights
judging other cars braking into a corner will be really hard
.. without brake lights ........

im sleepy .. will post more points later on .. *yawn*
Old 05-25-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
Mattk
Regular User

But Le Mans cars have these things called headlights. Also, tradition dictates that they race at night. Tradition dictates that F1 races be held during the day.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
But Le Mans cars have these things called headlights. Also, tradition dictates that they race at night. Tradition dictates that F1 races be held during the day.
Forget traditions. Night races would be cool. And seeing how F1 is not Le Mans, it will be different. It's not the same, but NASCAR carries off night races well. What they do is use super-bright trackside lamps to brighten up the track. It's so bright that if it weren't for oddly cast shadows, you couldn't tell if it was night time. I think it'd be sweet.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:51 AM   #11
Mattk
Regular User

^Albert Park is part street. I'm not sure the Lord Mayor would take kindly to having to install all these lights in the middle of the city well in advance to accomodate an annual event, regardless of how much money it brings in. It's just not practical on many levels. And you're forgetting that headlights cannot be readily fitted to F1 cars because there are simply no provisions for such devices.

Lastly, a night race would alienate Australian sports enthusiasts. We like to watch weekend sport in the afternoon. That's the way it has been and it's the way we've been brought up. No road-based motorsport events (except for a medium-profile 12-hour endurance race) are held at night; all in the afternoon. I'd like to think that the reason why F1 events have always been held in the afternoon is because people like watching F1 races in the afternoon. So an Australian night race benefits European viewers. Yes. But Max gets to watch F1 at normal times when F1 hits Europe, so he can shut the fuck up. That is if he actually watches F1 because his ideas in times gone by have been as silly as Jim Carrey on a bad LSD trip.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
xecutioner
Regular User

is it that hard for ppl around the world to watch 1 or 2 races during the nite time?

god damn its all about the $$ of course and nuthing else

i can see AUS losing the f1 bc of that

its bad enough they wanna go green and turn f1 into a1
Old 05-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
blue8
Regular User

FIA President Max Mosley insisted in Monaco that F1's governing body has not yet sanctioned Bernie Ecclestone's plans for night racing.

Ecclestone has busily been organising floodlit events in Singapore and possibly Malaysia and Australia for as soon as next year, but Mosley said on Thursday that the FIA must give the final go-ahead.

"There is still no criteria for it," the Briton said, explaining that if a formal request for night racing is ultimately made, it could be the decision of the World Council to sanction or disallow it.

Mosley added: "We will not sanction night racing if it does not fulfil all of the safety conditions."

The Briton did, however, offer full support for Ecclestone's desire for more street circuits, but insisted that they must all satisfy the safety requirements of normal permanent venues.

Only Monaco, Mosley said, is the exception.
Cliquez ici...

"Monaco has been a part of Formula One for 70 or 80 years," he said, "but we can't tear down the buildings so that the run-off distances are better.”

"New city courses (however) must fulfil the same criteria as any other circuit, in terms of safety."

He also revealed that Ecclestone has not yet requested a Grand Prix date for the Japanese circuit Suzuka next year, contrary to suggestions that the popular circuit could return.
I think night races would be cool but I don't see how it can make a race any more exciting. A night race won't salvage a boring race like the one in Monaco

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote