Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 03-08-2005, 03:18 AM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default Test drive 05 Stang GT, and 350z cabriolet

i encouraged all who are able to
today, i drove my first 5 speed 05 GT... and it definately is the best Mustang ever ... a lot of the magazines hit the feel of the car pretty dead on; but ill add a few of my own comments

right from the time i shut the door, i could feel this car as being more solid, as it didnt reverbarate through the structure. turn in resistance is gone, where the SN95 had chassis flexing before agreeing to turn. this makes the pony car feel much more agile, and sure footed when entering turns.

there was no annoying creeking, or bending noises from the plasticy interior... but i wouldnt expect any from a new car. the interior feels very nastalgic to the 60's original, as quite plain forward simplicity to it all... nothing to confuse the driver, but... not exactly aimed towarred the driver. the air vents have to be the easiest to use i have ever seen... and look fine open, or closed.

in Michigan, this time of year, pot holes are everywhere, and the mustang remained sure footed on these uneven, terrible surfaces... even carrying the live rear axle. the high tire profile maintains the car is comportable to drive on these roads... but that is something i could live without

the worst things i can nit pic out of this car are the seats... there is nowhere near enough side bolstering. i feel like im sliding all over my seat in my Jeep, not in a sports car. they look fine, but arent for people who love corners... thankfully, the center console and door keep you reletively centered. next in the order of poor feel would be the steering feel... but cirtainly not sensativity. the car reacts to slight movements with confidence. so weighting isnt the best also, it would be more convienent to have telescoping/tilting rather then just a tilting colum to optimise a driving position.

so basically, you would have to drive by the seat of your pants at the limit, but only able to do it well if you bought aftermarket seats that held you in place better.

and to finish; the best things about the new GT
the Engine! not only is everything under the hood easily accessable; plugs/belt/ valve covers etc. but it looks more aggressive then the 260 hp SOHC 2 valve 4.6 last year. throttle response is spectacular, and blips right to the rev you were looking for an easy downshift. the clutch is easy, the gearbox feels quite mechanical, and the shift pattern has a great location for great shifting with confidence.

downshift to second, and full throttle puts a smile on my face like i havent had since i drove a corvette last spring! i have a feeling this engine is under rated at 300 hp/ 320 ft lbs. and i have no problem believing a 5.1 second sprint to 60 mph where 3rd gear takes you to 110+mph with continued power right up near redline (i was near 5200 to 5300 i think... before peak power output) Braking is good, but there is too much dive IMO... i would gess that causes a few feet of extra distance, and less stability of the rear end under turning, i would guess. from what i have read, this is a trade off between mac. strut suspension, and ride compfort.

And the sound! there is no american car in stock form that sounds this good! right from idle, right through the entire rev band! the closest thing i can describe it as is a barritone growel... downshifting and braking exhorts a more snarly sound just itching to sing once more. except for long jurneys, i think i would never listen to the stereo... so id definately pass opting for the premium sound system, as i would deem it mostly useless.

cirtainly a car i strongly concider buying in a few months time
Old 03-08-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
666fast
Regular User

cirtainly a car i strongly concider buying in a few months time
I'm right there with you, I had every intention of seriously looking at one, but with my current financial situation (not good) It's not gonna hapen anytime soon! LOL

I drove one a while ago, my uncle bought one. Unfortunately, there was still snow and ice, so giving it some gas just resulted in spinning wheels and flying around a corner was a sure way to shove it in the ditch. All I know is a want one.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
sentra_dude

Awesome review!

A few months back I test drove a 04 Mustang GT 5spd, and I was really impressed by the sound of the engine, prefect American sound to it. On top of that it has great power and torque...so with at least another 40hp more this one must just be wonderful. Ford definitely knows how to make a good V8...8)

I may have to go out and test drive an 05 after your positive review.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
callen
Regular User

nthfinity, I would have to agree! I love the look and the 'bang for the buck' in GT spec cant be beat IMO...this is a car I could see myself in in 5 years time... when insurance rates wont make it a ton to drive!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

just wanted to update a wee speck i read from a hot rod magazine i saw, saying the car dynoed @ the wheels pushing 280hp... im quite cirtain of the factory claim being under rated. this is the first car ive driven that feels like if i gave it full throttle in 1rst gear, the tires would spin

thanks for the positive comments
and callen, unless you have tickets, i cant imagine it would cost you more then me... about $1600-2000 usd/year. i think the exchange rate is about $1.50 can for every 1$ us. also, 'bang for the buck' cant be beat for the main reason of insurance, and tire costs here (a used 'vette would be amazing) but even that doesnt sound as good IMO

666fast.... hehe, im still in a bad financial spot myself... but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel... so keep dreaming! i cant tell you how much i dislike being an hourly wage person in the service industry~retail... but its all delayed gratification, and always keeping an eye for the right person to talk to ive already had about 10 offers of jobs once i gradutate my degree. again, just keep through it...

sentra_dude, definately drive an 05 5 speed! you will be blown away by the improvements in almost every aspect of the car i will argue that the new one sounds even better then the SN95 too :shock: the extra power, grip and balance is immediately evident to make a great car. if you can avoid it, dont drive an automatic... it wont dissapoint, but it definately doesnt feel as fast even with a 5 speed auto box; let alone the driver invovlment.

Edit:
godduck
at 18, its dificult to test drive new cars... but... one thing that could convince them, besides looking slightly spiffied up is the car you drive up in. perhaps even come with a parrent (to further convince the sales people) although i havent done that.

i didnt start test driving dealer cars until i was 19 myself... the first one being a 2003 Subaru WRX in... 2003. and it was always because i 'wanted' a new car... whether or not i could afford it
since then ive driven about 16 other sports coups, sedans, and a few jeeps... some cars i cant get enough of... like the Subie WRX... if anybody will let you drive one, it will be a Subie dealer. they have a unique approach to sales that i wish all dealers had. that car is in my top 3 realistic wanted list (subaru WRX, Mustang GT, C5 Corvette)

making insane claims sometimes hurts, or hinders test driving a car... for example, how i drove a C5 Corvette in Kazoo at a natoriously terrible sales person dealer was to go in with a friend, and say that we were going to buy the car together to work on it, and race it.

a smiliar story proved futile at another dealership for a drive in a Trans am WS-6.

now days, i stick with this approach. for new, and used
1. park next to the window of the sales office
2. go right to the car i am interested in driving
3. wait a few minutes until the salesmen comesout
3.5 go in, and look for a salesmen
(a drive will most likely happen with step 3)
4. tell him the honest truth, you want a car that is more fun to drive, and your current vehicle doesnt do it for you... even though it is perfectly fine for most people... ~being at JW, you are obvoiously not most people
5. ask for a closer look, seeing if he will say that you can take it for a drive... and/or he brings out the keys, and starts it up.
6. sit in it, mention things you honestly do/dont like about it...eg pedal possitions.
7. hopefully by now he has a copy of your drivers licence, and you are almost off!

7.x? if he says he wants to run some numbers with you, RUN! he doesnt actually want to sell you the car, but wants your money for his pocket. sometimes, its also a scare tactic to have them sell you lesser vehciles you don't want. this salesmen isnt for you... try another dealer, or the same dealer at a later date with a different salesman... or different approach (like with a parent)
Old 03-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #6
666fast
Regular User

666fast.... hehe, im still in a bad financial spot myself... but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel... so keep dreaming! i cant tell you how much i dislike being an hourly wage person in the service industry~retail...
I know how retail is, I deal with idiots all day long. I still plan on getting one, I was hoping to be able to do it this spring/summer, but it just isn't going to happen. Being out of work for so long really drained my savings! Spending is fun, but not when you have no income! I made double at my old job compared to my current job. :x
I'll be looking when I know I can afford it, which probably won't happen for awhile. Which isn't a big deal, I may be able to get a used one dirt cheap! LOL
Old 03-08-2005, 11:00 PM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

test driving a STi is quite dificult one of my dream cars that will have to waite a bit longer before i think i can muster up a drive for that one. definately good luck with the 350Z... ive only met w/out success for that car, so be sure to post a review if you do drive it 8)
Old 03-09-2005, 12:54 AM   #8
Refefer
Regular User

Nice review nthfinity! I havn't driven the GT (none were available in our area when I went around looking at them) but I did drive the 05 v6 with the 5 speed and thought it was a great car. A HUGE improvement over my 99 mustang . My favorite new bit, personally, was the clutch was a helluva lot nicer than the one strapped to my old one. My left calf muscle is about twice the size of my right one because of that damned thing
Old 03-09-2005, 02:10 PM   #9
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

cool thanks for the nice little writeup. i am always interested to hear what people think of the new mustang. i would love to be able to test drive one but i doubt that will happen anytime soon. maybe ill try some of your ideas, ill have to make sure to drive up in my parents maxima rather than their crappy accord lol.

im sure if you end up buying one you wont be dissappointed
Old 03-09-2005, 02:55 PM   #10
phantomfocus
Regular User

I am lucky enough to have some connections to a automotive editor, and actually got to drive a press car '05 Mustang GT 5-speed. It was fantastic, I have rode in or driven a lot of crazy stuff, but for $26,000 I can't think much that touches it. A srt-4 is great, but it's still a neon, and it's still FWD. An EVO and STI are too expensive and it's considerably cheaper, than a GTO. Some might like the WRX better but I can't see how. Torque, that mother's got some torque. I was all smiles for several hours afterward. If only I wasn't a broke college student.
phantomfocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:04 PM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

Some might like the WRX better but I can't see how

quality quality quality... reliability, usability.... looks
ive driven an evo... its a great car... but i still prefer the subaru offering when compared to it.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:29 AM   #12
phantomfocus
Regular User

I would have to agree that the Subaru has a leg up on the Evo in quality. But you didn't mention the Mustang. I personally don't feel the stang has the initial quality of the subaru either. Perhaps I should not have compared the two cars. The person who goes out and buys a new Mustang probably isn't the same person who would buy the WRX.
phantomfocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:47 AM   #13
RC45
Regular User

The new GT is a nice car, but at $26K+++ the new GT is getting pricey - there are some awesome used cars in the $28K to $32K range these days.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:21 AM   #14
666fast
Regular User

The new GT is a nice car, but at $26K+++ the new GT is getting pricey - there are some awesome used cars in the $28K to $32K range these days.
There is, and not just used ones. I can walk away from a dealer with a brand spanking new Evo 8 for $27k. A friends work buddy was able to score one for $25k.

That said, I still want a Mustang GT! LOL I'd gladly spend a little bit more and take a Z06 home with me if I could afford it.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #15
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
im fairly sure i can afford a $26k car... but.. a base Mustang GT goes for 23,720 at invoice... on top of that, i can pick it up closer to $21k for a brand spankin' new 300ish hp car

the difference between $26k and $32k is about 250+/month...
on top of insurance... the way i look at it right now is its not a bad thing to 'gradutate' from a stang/WRX in a few years. and... i'll cirtainly get my ya-ya's out of those cars