Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines

Books, Comics And Magazines This is the place to discuss Books, Comics And Magazines that you have read / are reading

Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Mattk
Regular User

Default Jeremy Clarkson - Born To Be Riled (Book Review)

Clarkson's Born To Be Riled, first published in 1999, is a collection of Jeremy Clarkson's best columns and feature articles. Whatever you like (or dislike) about the man, it is here, in this book. Presented in an unembellished, no-nonsense format, it is perhaps a reflection of Clarkson's writing style.

Clarkson writes and speaks with a frank honesty that is absent in all media personalities, except for perhaps the exception of Simon Cowell. Clarkson is also not one for moderation. He does not merely like and dislike. He is passionate in love, or vehement in hate; ecstatically thrilled, or depressingly underwhelmed. He explains his style in the Foreword: he cannot afford to be like other journalists, who play to PR executives of vehicle manufacturers. He must play to the public, and what they want is the truth, rather than nice reviews.

Clarkson's writings cover everything automotive. From cars themselves, to drivers and to transport policy, Clarkson has written about it, and it is published in Born To Be Riled. This massive tome also has the odd anecdotal column which has nothing to do with cars.

The only criticism that can be said for this gem is that it is getting old. You'd think that with the 2006 reprint, Penguin and Clarkson could've included some new articles.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
Stoopie
Regular User

Location: United Provinces of the Kingdom of Great Netherlands

They didn't include new articles? Well what's new about it then, new cover? I haven't read the book though, I just read his colums in TG magazine. Stupid thing is that the British humour gets totally lost in translation to Dutch, it just isn't funny when you read it in Dutch. So I have to buy the import version of TG, which costs me about 3 times as much But it's worth it!
Stoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
TopGearNL
Regular User

/\/\ Yep totally true!

I read his books too but haven't read this one. I might give some reviews too in the future
Old 01-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Mattk
Regular User

Well what's new about it then, new cover?
Yes, Penguin has published all the Clarkson books in matching covers, all of which have a picture of him in a stupid pose.