Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #16
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
Forza 4 has been great so far. First off, GT is unplayable with a controller. It really is terrible. It would probably be that way if you tried to drive a real car with your thumbs too. I play with a controller because I don't want any bad in game habits translating into muscle memory that will affect me on an actual track. For instance, I would never downshift in the middle of a corner like I do in-game.

That said, I don't see the complaints against the FM4 physics. Forza's driving model is what drew me in from day one when I tried the original demo. A car actually oversteered. This was in stark contrast to GT4 which I was living and breathing at the time. The FM4 physics are excellent. What surfaces are bothering you? They made the grass really forgiving, but I think that's more of a concession than any misunderstanding. The Positano track is still great for reminding the player how much less grip there could be.

The sound team did a ridiculously good job. Not just in sound effects, but the soundtrack is amazing. They found obscure music, some with terrible vocals, and perfected it in their remixes.

FM4 fixes the PI balancing issues that made awd cars so cheap in FM3, which is a huge deal to me as an rwd fan.

Graphically, Forza 4 is great. It's all in the lighting. I wouldn't call GT5 photo realistic. At all. They still have that horrible white fuzz on surfaces being viewed at extreme angles. The Pixar consultation really paid off and they did figure out a much better way to represent several orders of magnitude of light on your tv which effectively can only display one order of magnitude.

At the risk of continuing the GT vs FM conversation, I can't see how GT5 can stand up to Forza 4, let alone Forza 3. GT has terrible anti-aliasing, terrible load times, a terrible selection of cars, and terrible controller inputs. Part of that last problem is the PS controller itself. Let's assume GT5 was superior in every way except load times. I'd pick Forza for that reason alone.

My new conspiracy theory for the limited paint colors in GT5 is that they have to cheat with the color a bit to help out the poor lighting model. I'm referencing the pre-determined paint colors that you have to buy with real money for a one time use.
On the PS3 GT5 load times are cured with an SSD upgrade. Not a cheap fix but it helps.

Can't really argue your other points except to say they cheaped out on the track surface bump resolution modelling - especially noticeable on the Nordschleife. Not a deal killer, especialy since the engine sounds are great

For me and my aging eyes, FM4 still looks "flat, plasticky and cartooney" compared to the GT5 visuals on many tracks.

Last edited by RC45; 09-25-2013 at 05:14 PM.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Well, we are just in time for a Forza5 update in a month or so.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #18
Shaggy
Administrator

So is that game that good? I have played Grand Turismo 1-5, but never Forza. Am I missing out?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:31 AM   #19
RC45
Regular User

Yes, if you enjoy the SOUNDS of driving, then Forza is a great title. I pray GT6 has proper sounds.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #20
Shaggy
Administrator

When does Forza 5 come out?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #21
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Here's the problem with XBox games: No steering wheel is licensed to work with Xbox. All you have for wheels are microsoft's wireless setups which are junk. Your only choices to properly play a racing sim is going to be either Gran Turismo, or iRacing on PC.

I've talked to a couple of employees of a couple different Game Stops and they've said pretty much the same thing. Microsoft sues anyone that puts out a wheel that's better than theirs. For this reason, the racing sim genre is shrinking.

I've tried playing Forza with controllers, but the lack of feedback and proper response make it extremely difficult to get precise control of the steering. Without a wheel set up, you don't have a racing sim.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote