Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 03-05-2005, 07:22 AM   #16
TT
Regular User

Sixth Enzo AND first MC12 in the same showroom
Old 03-05-2005, 09:16 AM   #17
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Well first off apologies for the delayed story, but here goes the full the full version:

Sunday afternoon, my Dad's friend comes round for a normal Sunday dinner, but it turned out to be far from normal; when I heard a bellowing rumble coming up our road I ran to the window to see what was driving past - until I saw that the car slowed down and pulled into our drive.

I shot outside (just pausing to grab the camera) to go and see what was making all the noise - a 6 month old TVR Tuscan S. After the usual greetings, I pulled my chin off the floor to ask if I could take a few pictures and have a look around the car while they went inside.

I remember just being astonished standing that close to the British Beast, soaking in all of the extravagant lines and beatufiul details. I still find it hard to believe that metals can look that curvy and 'sexy', but yet scare the sh*t out of you when you stand behind the two carbon fibre effect bike cans. No sooner had I taken a few photos, when the owner casually offered to take me for a ride :shock:

The interior is amazing. No pictures can do the hand stiched leather and custom machined aluminium bezels justice. The craftsmanship is incredible, and even the normally mundane events such as opening the doors have been transformed into an event by putting the door release buttons underneath the door mirrors. Truly an aesthetic delight!!

The real story comes when the engine is woken. It sounds lazy to start with as the starter motor spins for a while longer than normal cars, before all goes quiet. Just a brief pause later the sraight six fires up and seems to release with it half a tonne of aggression it has pent up. The noise is more of an eruption than a 'start up', and the rumble that is produced when the throttle is gingerly tickled by it's owner only increases my anticipation of what is about to happen.

After teasing me by pulling slowly out of out small roads, we finally pull onto the 'proving grounds' as it is known to our friends - a 4 mile dual carraigeway leading up to A40 (London). Barely containing my excitement and mainting the mandatory small talk, he slots the stubby lever down to second and buries the throttle.

The power that is summoned from such low revs is astonishing. More incredible is the sheer pace with which the engine gathers speed, and with that, decibels. Just when the noise threatens permanent damage, it escalates one final notch and the noise turns into what I can inly describe as a perfectly balanced organic yet mechanical symphony.

We short shift through the gears and by the time I peel myself of the back of the leather seat and regain some consciousness, we are deep in 4th gear and into three figures. The tuscan just seems to perfectly embody what the British sports car industry is all about; low mass, RWD and 'ample' power to make the tyres re-think what is physically possible to deploy on the tarmac.

Unfortunately we didn't have time for a longer drive or time for more challenging routes, but this small taster was enough to permanently engrain this memory for me. Then, as he left later in the afternoon, the sonorous rumble was enough to still shake the windows and scare local children into submission (from 50 metres).

I hope this gives you a clearer picture as to what a car like the TVR is like and you enjoyed the story!

Andy
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:28 AM   #18
TT
Regular User

Great write up dude! It was like beeing there with you!
Old 03-05-2005, 09:43 AM   #19
komotar
Regular User

my jaw dropped and I can't get it up again.

I think I've just visited Great Britain for the first time. Light speed. And now I'm in my room again writing this thank you note.

Thank you Andy, JC couldn't have written that better.

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:15 AM   #20
BADMIHAI
Regular User

I can't get it up again.

Damn, dude! You're only 23. ops: :shock:

On a more serious note, that was a great story, Andy! 8)
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:00 AM   #21
komotar
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
I can't get it up again.

Damn, dude! You're only 23. ops: :shock:

ha.....ha, very funny you cocksucker :splat:

Old 03-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #22
TransAm
Regular User

Komotar
"Catch me if i can gedditup"

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:23 PM   #23
komotar
Regular User

Originally Posted by TransAm2001
Komotar
"Catch me if i can gedditup"

LOL, you're a funny guy. I bet the funniest in
the deepest, darkest part of Texas.

Old 03-05-2005, 12:24 PM   #24
TransAm
Regular User

^ as legend has it, my friend.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:36 PM   #25
stradale
Regular User

Great story, Andy! I'd like to experience that first hand even more now.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:52 PM   #26
ikon2003
Regular User

Nice pics and great story - I'm sure it was a memorable experience.
I personally love TVRs, and I just ordered a big TVR flag to decorate my room.

Their interiors are so wild and so unique, and the exterior designs are also amongst the most innovative and wild on the market - (I think the Sagaris is one of the best looking cars on the market).

I just hope that, 1) with their new owner, TVR will improve their international image and reliability reputation, and 2) start selling them in larger numbers, ideally in the US.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #27
Wutputt
Regular User

:shock: :shock:
Great story Andy. You can almost feel the 6 cylinders firing when reading your story. It must have been a great experience. Thanks for those pics!
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote