Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 03-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #16
leblanc2.0
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
"Strawman" arguments make you look stupid.

I have done traveling around the world, and will continue to do so.

Have you ever stopped to think that you are the one who has to understand other's cultures?

In anycase, this has gone away from the topic at hand.

What is it you know that we don't know that shows the SSC Ultimate Aero is engineered poorly?

Otherwise, STFU
Our cars are in other level,that US cars cant reach.Your cars only need to last 4 years.

But dont think that i hate all US cars.I like the Mustang Rouch,Ford GTX1,old GT40 and the beautiful Shelby GT500.
leblanc2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #17
79TA
Regular User

^ My Trans Am is now 29, my Oldsmobile is 20 (only 100k miles - no major repairs), and the Mustang is 19 with 170k miles.

My family's older work truck has 220k miles and is 14 years old - no major repairs

newer work truck - 7 years old 200k miles - no major repairs

1986 Oldsmobile 88 - put 250k miles on and sold a few years back

I'm not going to list every car my immediate family has owned but I really don't see how can claim that Amerian cars are only good for a few years.

Just go do a search for used cars online and see what kind of mileage they have on them.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
leblanc2.0
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
^I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the koenigsegg engine is nothing more than something slightly custom out of the Dart engine block catalogue.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to explain and support your comments about the SSC.
Man what have so special that engine? Cannot understand what you want to say with that.You have good engines like the corvette but is near engineered like ours.See Ferrari,Porsche,Lambo,Mercedes,BMW,VAG...etc.I never said that you have bad engineers.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #19
leblanc2.0
Regular User

^ My Trans Am is now 29, my Oldsmobile is 20 (only 100k miles - no major repairs), and the Mustang is 19 with 170k miles.

My family's older work truck has 220k miles and is 14 years old - no major repairs

newer work truck - 7 years old 200k miles - no major repairs

1986 Oldsmobile 88 - put 250k miles on and sold a few years back

I'm not going to list every car my immediate family has owned but I really don't see how can claim that Amerian cars are only good for a few years.

Just go do a search for used cars online and see what kind of mileage they have on them.
If you cant see the diference,its not problem for me.Like i said its the american way.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #20
79TA
Regular User

If your point was so obviously right, it would be easy to substantiate . . . something you don't seem to do.

Engines with double overhead cams are hardly engineering marvels as they, like the pushrod V8's, have been around since the 1930's. Also, variable valve timing has yet to do anything outstanding for the performance of normal production cars. I'm still not seeing any specific points. But of course, being an American enthusiastic about the SSC must mean I'm single-minded and short-sited right?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #21
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by leblanc2.0 View Post
Man what have so special that engine? Cannot understand what you want to say with that.You have good engines like the corvette but is near engineered like ours.See Ferrari,Porsche,Lambo,Mercedes,BMW,VAG...etc.I never said that you have bad engineers.
You said the SSC is poorly engineered, I take it you have now changed that viewpoint.

Before Porsche started building the 911, Chevy was building the rear-engined Corvaire Before Ferdinand Porsche was making the VW Beetle, A Ford man build the Scarab with a rear engine flathead V8..... Before Ferrari were making mid-engine race cars, General Motors were experimenting with mid-engined sportscars (that never made production)...
Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #22
leblanc2.0
Regular User

Cool Split from - First real test drive of the ssc ultimate aero tt

...Before Porsche started building the 911, Chevy was building the rear-engined Corvaire Before Ferdinand Porsche was making the VW Beetle, A Ford man build the Scarab with a rear engine flathead V8..... Before Ferrari were making mid-engine race cars, General Motors were experimenting with mid-engined sportscars (that never made production)...
Yes i know all that and...
Old 03-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #23
79TA
Regular User

^catch up on the post carbo. We're trying to get leblanc to just substantiate his negative views on the SSC and American cars in general.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #24
79TA
Regular User

Yes i know all that and...
and he was responding to this . . .

Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #25
leblanc2.0
Regular User

What does "different point of view" have to do with how well a car is engineered?
Design,quality...

See the Jeremy Clarkson - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly DVD, he have the answer to understand my point,what i really mean. And its not the Anti-American point of JC.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #26
Carbodiox
Regular User

^catch up on the post carbo. We're trying to get leblanc to just substantiate his negative views on the SSC and American cars in general.
i c now......

and leblanc i agree that aero is nowhere near class and perfection of veyron but dont b such an european high society "look at u from above" guy
Old 03-06-2008, 06:09 PM   #27
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Carbodiox View Post
nthfinity sorry and no offence but if u think that all that u have mentioned amaricans did first for ex with mid engine car read more about history of motor (and european) engeneering
I'm not entirely sure what you are saying... I have a decent idea on motoring history... growing up in Detroit, having direct bloodlines to automotive pioneers....

I didn't say "first mid engine race car" as that was obviously Auto Union cars

FYI, My great grandfather designed the first production V12 engine
Old 03-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #28
leblanc2.0
Regular User

Originally Posted by Carbodiox View Post
i c now......

and leblanc i agree that aero is nowhere near class and perfection of veyron but dont b such an european high society "look at u from above" guy

Dont get me wrong.I respect all ppl.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #29
Carbodiox
Regular User

Sorry than, missunderstood you..

My great grandfather designed the first production V12 engine
Kinda cool
Old 03-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #30
79TA
Regular User

Design,quality...

See the Jeremy Clarkson - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly DVD, he have the answer to understand my point,what i really mean. And its not the Anti-American point of JC.
I've seen it. You've almost made a specific point, but not quite. It's progress though.

On the topic of that program, he mistakes a V6 Mustang for one with a V8, compares a landrover to giant GM SUV's (instead of the jeeps that would have won handily), drag races an M5 against a SRT8, and dismissese the Z06 as being too harsh. He then concludes the Ford GT is the only good American car and the notes (overstates would be a more accurate way of putting it) the British influences on the car.

Design? I'll take a Sky redline or Solstice GXP over the BMW Z4 any day.

Reliability: My family and I have had much better luck with American cars than foreign ones

Quality: alot of the fancy bells and whistles on older European cars go bad and make for electronic nightmares. That's partially why my local salvage yard is stuffed full of dead BMW E30s.