Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 03-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
topgeartom
Regular User

Default Top Gear #139 - Clarkson, May, Aston Martin AM V8

Well, my first attempt at scanning anything with my new scanner, and indeed scanning anything. Let me know what you think.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
noosee
Regular User

Thanks
Seems like quality is very good
noosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
jorge
Regular User

Not bad at all
Thanks
Old 03-28-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
crazidude
Regular User

I can't wait till this car is tested by various magizines.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
antonioledesma
Regular User

Tom, great quality there.
only a question: you didn't pushed down the mag? :roll: in the JC article the scanner ate a couple of letters.... but it's ok, you must take car of your mags

btw... thanks a lot
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
topgeartom
Regular User

I tried to push it down as much as i could, but keeping it straight in the scanner whilst pushing down isnt that easy.

Plus like you say i like to look after my mags as a i keep a collection of them. The way the scanner is designed doesnt help either, as they edge of the glass is quite a way in from the edge of the actual printer, so you cant just slide one page on - you have to bend it round to get as much as you can on.

I'll stop talking shit now, and just say thanks for the nice words!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:42 PM   #7
Sm@ck
Regular User

Thank you for the scans.

You know what is the problem with the article about the Aston.
He keeps comparing it with the 911, without actually having made a real comparison.
I know clarkson is more about show, and will first admit how good a non-british car is 2 years later, but this is ludicrous, imo.

Sm@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #8
dingo
Regular User

Thanks of the article tom, should be a good read
BTW, I would convert the images to thumbnails as we are suppose to only use them now
Old 03-28-2005, 07:56 PM   #9
topgeartom
Regular User

right, i thought it would be OK if they werent too wide, i mean i dont think anyone still runs 800x600 screen resolution anymore do they?

Plus TT posts up the images directly, and i only did it this way because it was a mag scan, and when the only thing you wanna see is the picture (the article) you cant be arsed clicking loads of little thumbnails.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:43 PM   #10
antonioledesma
Regular User

Originally Posted by topgeartom
Plus TT posts up the images directly, and i only did it this way because it was a mag scan, and when the only thing you wanna see is the picture (the article) you cant be arsed clicking loads of little thumbnails.
I think TT uses his admin privileges and uploads the scans in the JW server

and I do hate when you have to scan something from a book or mag and you must put a lot of pressure to avoid those areas the scanner usually misses. It was a pain in the ass and my comic book collection when I had to scan some pages from some TPB's
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:09 PM   #11
coloradosilver
Regular User

"If there is a more exciting motor car heading this way, this year, I for one have yet to see it. (M6?, just a slinky M5, surely. Z06, Yes, but it's still a yank."

Well even the Brits are starting to admit that the new Z06 is more exciting than the new Aston. Just a shame that they don't give it it's due credit just because it's made in the US. Even the stock C6 turned a fatser time around the TG track than the Vanquish S, and the exact same time as the Ferrari 575.

With this kind of performance and price advantage over cars like the Ferrari and Aston, I think the new Z06 should be given a little more credit. Hopefully we'll get to see it tested sometime this year.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:59 PM   #12
ikon2003
Regular User

^Meh, we all know that TG is bias. But I'll let those chronically insecure Brits keep up their hubristic self-laudation as long as they keep writing better articles than the US junk that gets produced here.

Considering the scan itself - nice job tom. That's definitely higher quality than mine - somehow your compression is lower (ie- better quality), and u don't get those random splotchy discolorations. The only critique i have (just to be nitpicky, since i should be the last person to write about scans) are that a couple were slightly skewed (angle was off). Personally, I like thumbnails, cuz i use firefox and can just open the new page in a new tab, but that's just me. i kno someone mentioned it b4, so i thought i'd add my two cents. Lastly, I'm very jealous of your quality. The only perceptible distortion is the 45 degree waves of light refractino that come across some of the pics. Maybe that has to do w/ u pressing down on the mag, putting pressure on the pics, or it could just be the way the scanner works. Nonetheless, u'll perfect it soon enuf, and I look forward to more of your scans.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #13
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

best looking aston as of yet IMO. the proportions are better put together than the DB9 (it llooks like a stretched vrsion of this car). but i cant wait to see this thing around town!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:24 AM   #14
topgeartom
Regular User

thanks for all your comments

@ikon, i realised when i cropped the scans in photoshop that some of them were a bit skewiffy, but that was the problem with trying to get so much of the page onto the scanner bed. Like you say, give me time and im sure ill get it right!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:33 AM   #15
imprezaWRC
Regular User

thanks for sharing