Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 07-16-2004, 09:06 AM   #1
philios55
Regular User

Default Autocar 1993:McLaren F1 around Nürburgring

philios55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:10 AM   #2
sameerrao
Regular User

Nice. Anyone know what lap time it posted?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:25 AM   #3
67MUSTANG
Regular User

Thanks...Great article.
67MUSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Nice. Anyone know what lap time it posted?
I don't think they were going for a fastet lap or anything, and i'm not sure that an F1 has ever been figured around the 'Ring... i think it would post a 7:35-7.45, but i'm not sure
Old 07-16-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
samtek
Regular User

fantastic article!! this is really the best car ever made!!
samtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:08 AM   #6
komotar
Regular User

I think 7.35 is a bit optimistic. 7.45 is more like it.

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:18 AM   #7
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by komotar
I think 7.35 is a bit optimistic. 7.45 is more like it.
Probably... i guess we will never know
Old 07-16-2004, 01:33 PM   #8
sameerrao
Regular User

Okay, assuming that the speed posted on the map in the article is that from a lap by the F1 and using known data from the Porsche Carrera GT and the Pagani Zonda, let us compare the three cars

Circuit Pagani Porsche Mclaren
Round time 7.44 min 7.40 min n/a
Schwedenkreuz 260 Km/h 256 Km/h 274 Km/h
Aremberg 95 Km/h (1,1g) 104 Km/h (1,25g) 89 Km/h
Fuchsroehre 251 Km/h 240 Km/h 225 Km/h
Metzgesfeld 213 Km/h 158 Km/h 241 Km/h
Bergwerk 94 Km/h (1,1g) 106 Km/h (1,35g) 113 Km/h
Kesselchen 236 Km/h 237 Km/h 241 Km/h
Klostertal 1 170 Km/h (1,1g) 161 Km/h (1,15g) N/a
Klostertal 2 81 Km/h (1,1g) 92 Km/h (1,2g) N/a
Pflanzgarten 193 Km/h (0g) 191 Km/h (0g) 209 Km/h
Galgenkopf 134 Km/h (1,1g) 135 Km/h (1,1g) 137 Km/h
Doettinger Hoehe 280 Km/h 294 Km/h 322 Km/h

So I think overall the McLaren would be faster than 7.40 considering that it whips the Carrera GT nearly everywhere ...

Note:
1. I got the Carrera/Pagani speed and times from here http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp
2. Some of the numbers in the track map posted above were little difficult to read - I would like a high res of just of the cirucit to make sure I got the Mclaren's numbers right
3. To figure out the other parts of the circuit mentioned in the above section that have not been coded in the circuit map, am attaching a more detailed pic of Nuerburgring

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 07-16-2004, 01:37 PM   #9
5vz-fe
Regular User

I don't think I can pronounce any of the corners
Old 07-16-2004, 02:13 PM   #10
yg60m
Regular User

Thank you for the article philios and thank you for these informations sameerrao
Old 07-16-2004, 02:46 PM   #11
No.1
Regular User

Okay, assuming that the speed posted on the map in the article is that from a lap by the F1 and using known data from the Porsche Carrera GT and the Pagani Zonda, let us compare the three cars....
A nice bit of research sammie

Your conclusion that the F1 is faster is no suprise, but the speeds on that map may be the average figures or, if they were the F1's figures, i am sure the driver wasn't going flat out.

Are we sure that nobody has figured an F1 at the 'Ring... it seems so strange that the ultimate road car hasn't gone to the ultimate circuit.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:51 PM   #12
f1legend
Regular User

The McLaren F1 isn't really fast around corners (Road and Track test 0,86 g), and it would never beat the Carrera GT, which is capable of 1,2+ g. So on the Nürburgring it would have been slower. Also the Zonda would be faster on the Nürburgring. On a track like Monza however it would be a different story.
f1legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 03:24 PM   #13
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by f1legend
The McLaren F1 isn't really fast around corners (Road and Track test 0,86 g), and it would never beat the Carrera GT, which is capable of 1,2+ g. So on the Nürburgring it would have been slower. Also the Zonda would be faster on the Nürburgring. On a track like Monza however it would be a different story.
That's true on a billiard ball smooth skidpad where the Carrera GT can use all its grip - BTW Road and track posted 0.99g for the GT. The 1.2 G must be something that is felt momentarily and not sustainable.

However, if you read the Evo article comparing the GT and the F1 (see the Magazine Scan section), they mentioned that the GT's suspension is very stiffly set up. Possibly this is why it cannot exploit all its performance on the Nurburgring which has got a lot of elevation changes, bumps and other stuff to tax a suspension. I mean it is barely a few seconds faster than the GT3-RS even though it has a lot more horsepower....

Old 07-16-2004, 05:49 PM   #14
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by f1legend
That's true on a billiard ball smooth skidpad where the Carrera GT can use all its grip - BTW Road and track posted 0.99g for the GT. The 1.2 G must be something that is felt momentarily and not sustainable.

However, if you read the Evo article comparing the GT and the F1 (see the Magazine Scan section), they mentioned that the GT's suspension is very stiffly set up. Possibly this is why it cannot exploit all its performance on the Nurburgring which has got a lot of elevation changes, bumps and other stuff to tax a suspension. I mean it is barely a few seconds faster than the GT3-RS even though it has a lot more horsepower....
There's a whole discussion about this in ST-anger's section, the CGT is significantly faster than any other roadcar of its ilk ever tested there...as I recall it posted a 7:28 around the 'Ring and I'd be very very very surprised if the Macca came within 10 seconds of it. The Mclaren may well be very fast, but through the corners, the Porsche's extra downforce would certainly play a role in how fast it can go. The Mclaren, unless in High-downforce spec, would not be much of a challenge I'd bet.
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:39 PM   #15
sentra_dude

I agree with Vansquish. As they emphasized in the article, the McLaren is set-up for road use and its not overly wide or stiffly sprung, which does mean it won't have the out-right cornering speeds of cars like the CGT with super-stiff suspension.

Another thing to consider is the multiple 'routes' around the Nurburgring. It seems there are about 3 or 4 different lengths for a 'lap', so its hard to tell which is which sometimes... Its really a shame that the track was wet and full of traffic, I'd really like to see what time the Macca could wring out, or even what speed it could hit on the back straight

Almost forgot, thanks, its always great to read about the F1!

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote