Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #31
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post
1.9 degrees Kelvin...so the accelerator will be operating at just barely over absolute zero.

What the hell are they using to super cool that thing without destroying the materials around it.

liquid nitrogen

oh well, enjoy yuour last moments, grap a mp3 of portishead's glory box, some astro glide or some other slippery substance, close your eyes, think about monica bellucci, best way to go
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #32
Jona
Regular User

Originally Posted by 10000rpmlover View Post
oh well, enjoy yuour last moments, grap a mp3 of portishead's glory box, some astro glide or some other slippery substance, close your eyes, think about monica bellucci, best way to go
Man, you've thought this through, haven't you?
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:10 AM   #33
Spiffu
Regular User

Teen commits suicide after 'end of world' reports
So I guess natural selection does work!

I'm sorry, I just can't feel sorry for people like that. Third world country + kid f'ed in the head (obviously) = an hero.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #34
Spiffu
Regular User

Uh, oh.

Well that's two for two.

We should all be ready for the 7 hour war.

It's an 06 dammit!

Last edited by Spiffu; 09-16-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #35
silentm
Regular User

So I guess natural selection does work!

I'm sorry, I just can't feel sorry for people like that. Third world country + kid f'ed in the head (obviously) = an hero.
hmm well that is what i thought first but this girl is indian and therefore because of her hindu belief and something i don't get about dying in this world and not being able to reincarnate with the black hole and whatnot she decided to kill herself.

a rather sad story

Originally Posted by 10000rpmlover
Liquid Nitrogen
no chance, you can't go that far down with liquid nitrogen. what i believe is used is actually liquid Helium (well that is what they use in our NMR machines at the institute, and they operate at around the same temperature range)
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #36
Spiffu
Regular User

As the saying goes, religion is the opiate of the masses, in this case it was cyanide.

It's an 06 dammit!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #37
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Hahaha.. all the half-life stuff is just too good to be true.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #38
Spiffu
Regular User

So apparently an accident did happen during the start up test.

But a resonance cascade did not occur as we all were fearing.

An electrical malfunction caused a leak of sorts, of liquid helium in the acceleration tunnel. So now they have to heat up that section to ambient temperature and fix the problem, then re-cool it back down to near absolute zero. (as in minus 400 degrees or so)

This process is supposed to take 2 months.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science....ap/index.html

Of course this could be a cover story.

It's an 06 dammit!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #39
philip
Regular User

Uh, oh.

Well that's two for two.

We should all be ready for the 7 hour war.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyjKC...eature=related
You have to worry a little when the men in suits don't know how to fit a hardhat.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #40
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Wow...

[W]hat the FUCK is going on here? Am I the only person who thinks God Particle, possible Black Hole on the French/ Swiss Border, Recreating The Big Bang, etc, are all phrases I only want to read in New Gods? Where the fuck is James Bond and why isn't he KILLING these French fucks before they even push the button? Saddam was invaded and hung for not even HAVING nukes primed for his neighbours. These freaks genuinely risk ending the world!!!!

And for what? To see how the universe might have begun? Who gives a fuck? 5 billion pounds on a scientific folly when old people can't afford to heat their homes or kids are starving? Get outta here, egg-head! I don't care about dark matter, dark energy or even other dimensions. Best case scenario is we're sucked into a black hole, every atom in our body screaming as we die in a nano-second. Worst case scenario we're in The Mist or Cloverfield as Lovecraftian mofos come through this doorway and munch their way through us. Europeans creep me out, but none more so than Euro-SCIENTISTS. I declare a Jihad on all these boffins who risk reality itself in the name of their curiosity. No wonder Pol Pot killed everyone who wore glasses. At least you know where you are with bullies and jocks!!
-Creator of the Wanted comic book, Mark Millar
Old 09-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #41
styla21
Regular User

Well, my respect for him just disappeared . A rant with no substance.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #42
silentm
Regular User

An electrical malfunction caused a leak of sorts, of liquid helium in the acceleration tunnel. So now they have to heat up that section to ambient temperature and fix the problem, then re-cool it back down to near absolute zero. (as in minus 400 degrees or so)
it's -459,67 degrees fahrenheit for y'all yanks or -279.15 degrees centigrade for the rest of the world

and good job finding Gordon, i feel very safe now
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #43
nthfinity
Regular User

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

Seems they are ahead of schedule, and have brought it back online!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #44
RC45
Regular User

Say what you want, but this guy makes a FANTASTIC point:

And for what? To see how the universe might have begun? Who gives a fuck? 5 billion pounds on a scientific folly when old people can't afford to heat their homes or kids are starving?
This whole experiement is just as stupid as the CDC nut jobs that have reanimated the 1918 Flu virus - just to see how it works. (Just to clarify, the 1918 virus is more deadly than the current birdflu strains, because this one is airborne and human ready.. )

These folks are not pursuing these experiments in the "pursuit of science" - theya re simply in the "pursuit of dollars".

Science for greed - has pretty much been the primary motivator for the last 30 years.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #45
Spiffu
Regular User

This whole experiement is just as stupid as the CDC nut jobs that have reanimated the 1918 Flu virus - just to see how it works. (Just to clarify, the 1918 virus is more deadly than the current birdflu strains, because this one is airborne and human ready.. )

These folks are not pursuing these experiments in the "pursuit of science" - theya re simply in the "pursuit of dollars".

Science for greed - has pretty much been the primary motivator for the last 30 years.
They haven't even performed any experiments yet and you're blasting this kind of ignorance, you sound just like the guy you are praising.

Open your mind and read up on some astrophysics and astronomy. These people realize there is more to the universe than themselves and the space two feet in front of them.

It's an 06 dammit!