Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 07-28-2004, 07:10 AM   #31
mindgam3
Regular User

To be honest crasherror, I think the 911 is the most succesfull flawed racing car in history. According to physics, it jus shouldn't be that good of a racer - all credit to porsche. But the fact is it IS physically flawed. If you took a engineer that say wasn't into racing, say he designed houses. If you told him to design a car, he would never put the engine where porsche have put their 911's.Just about every modern racer has a mid engined layout where possible - and thats for a reason.

Lakatu: in reply to your point about me being new, i am really interested in this kind of discussion and will contribute as much as possible. I'm hopefully going to start a motorsport engineering degree in september (which is basically a automotive engineering degree, which is basciacally a mechanical engineering degree but with greater emphasis on performance cars) so I will be able to contribute a lot more in detail as time goes by

Im not sure if this may interest you: http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14171
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:29 PM   #32
lakatu
Regular User

Is the Rear Engine Design Fundementally Flawed Part 2
In part two I am going to briefly touch on the design compromises that contributed to snap oversteer in the 911. To begin with I wanted to provide evidence that the rear engine design was a successful racing design. I believe that the competitive nature of auto racing would prevent a design that was fundamentally flawed, as so many people say, from being moderately successful not to mention the extreme success that 911 racing derivatives had. I think there has not been a more dominate car in auto racing than the 934 and 935 .

Some of domination of the 934 & 935 can be explained by better reliability and acceleration verses their competitors. It is hard to win a race especially an endurance race if you can’t finish. However, this doesn’t account for the majority of these cars success.

As I see it, there are four major aspects to a successful race. The first I already touch on which is a cars reliability. The next three have to deal with the forces that a car transitions through in completing a lap around any track. These forces are acceleration, deceleration (braking) and lateral acceleration (turning forces). The key is to turn in the fastest average speed around the track this will also equate to the fastest time. Deficiencies in one area can be made up for in others. So that if cornering speeds are your weak point you can potentially compensate for that by another advantage that you may have let’s say in braking or acceleration.

A little background about racing in this era might be helpful. I will touch on it really briefly but I think there are a lot of people here who could add more color and specifics to these cars along with 911 derivative racing models . So I will leave that issue to be discussed by others. Additionally, there is a nice historical summary of the 935 racing history at http://www.911handbook.com/articles/...retson935.html and another article about the 934 http://www.911handbook.com/articles/...wdavem934.html . Porsche also has historical information of their website under motorsports.

The model numbers were based on the groups they raced in, Porsche raced 934s in Group 4 and 935s in Group 5. Both Group 4 & 5 racing were based on homologated cars. Group 4 allowed a few but very few modifications. For instance tire width was extremely restricted and no additional aerodynamic modifications were allowed. Weight restriction in the Group 4 was 1120 kg (2469 lbs) and the 934s produced between 500-600 hp. Group 5 on the other hand allowed more extensive modifications. Weight limits were also lower with 1025 kg (2260 lbs) and produced between 600-900 hp.

The 935 was raced for 9 years after it was developed. That is pretty amazing when you think of it that a race car design was successful for nine years after its conception. The reason that it stop racing wasn’t because it was no longer effective but because of rule changes. During that nine year winning history the 935 became the most successful GT racing car.

I have gathered some quotes from drivers of the 934 and 935 because I think they provide insight into the cars they drove and the rear engine design. I highlighted points that I think are interesting and will further discuss. Beside their names are some of their accomplishments in these cars.
Here are some quotes from drivers of the 935 and 934.

David Hobbs: (Back to back IMSA GT wins in 1982) “I drove for BMW against the Porsches for a long time. When I finally got into a 935, my first impression was, ‘No wonder it used to beat us.’ It wasn’t the dog I thought it was going to be. After all, it was derived from the 911, which was a design disaster. But the 935 was quite nice, and of course it had massive power. Even before the compressor came on, it had plenty of grunt.”

John Paul, Jr.: (1982 IMSA GT champion) “The power of the 935 was awesome, but what blew me away were the brakes. When I first tested one at Road Alanta, my braking points were exactly the same as the ones I’d been using in my Formula Ford-except that I was going twice as fast. I firmly believe to this day that, if they’d let them run, the 935s would still be winning races. I have a lot of good memories of those cars. Beating Redman at Daytona on the final turn of the final lap. Setting the all-time lap record at Sebring, faster than the 917. Winning Daytona and Sebring back to back in ’82. at Daytona, we led twenty-three straight hours and set an all-time mileage record for a twenty-four hour race.”

Hurley Haywood: (1970 Daytona 24 Hours and 1981 Sebring 12 Hours winner) “Of all the cars I’ve driven, the 935 was the most spectacular to watch. And it was probably the most difficult to drive quickly. You had a lot of power in a short wheelbase car with all the weight hanging off the ass end. There weren’t a lot of people who were really able to get all there was out of it.”
“One of my most memorable races in a 935 was Sebring in 1981. I was racing with Al Holbert and Bruce Leven , and the car was diabolical. We weren’t ever able to get comfortable in the car, even in practice. And a race car is only good for the first lap; everything goes down hill from there. Well, we won the race. And it wasn’t that all the fast cars broke. We had to really fight, and that’s not much fun when you’re not comfortable in the car. After the race, Al looked at me and said, ‘You can drive a bad car faster than anybody I know.’”

George Follmer: 1976 Trans-AM champion “The 934 was a typical 911-a lot of oversteer, very twitchy, especially in high speed corners. The tires weren’t big enough, and it had a lot of throttle lag. You had to tippy-toe around until you were pointed in the right direction.”

Tony Dron: 1982 Le Mans class winner in 934 “The basic quality of that 934 was magnificent. It did all those miles and kept running like a train. By the time we stopped racing it, it had done six years of endurance racing. The floor pan was gone. The next time in the shop, we should have stripped out the floor and welded in a new one! It had gotten to the point where there was no ‘wood’ left. You know I actually did work out once in an idle moment of insomnia, that I’d spent about four hours out of my life on opposite lock at over 150 mph. Most all of it with that 934.” He goes on to say that critics of the 934 had either a lack of experience with the car or with one as well sorted out as his.

Some of these comments seem to be contradictory. You have to remember that different cars were massaged to handle and perform differently by their racing teams. Additionally, over the nine years the cars as a whole evolved and became better suited to their racing niches.

Problem Areas that Contributed to Snap Oversteer in 911 Design
Some of the aspects of early 911s exacerbated it’s tendency for snap oversteer. I highlighted these issues because they are separate factors that were addressed by Porsche, and yet they were in part responsible for creating the 911's reputation for treacherous handling :roll: . In my opinion people fail to recognize and separate these aspects contributions to the 911’s oversteering characteristics but instead negatively attribute them to the rear engine design . All of these issues have been changed or addressed as the 911 model has progressed to the current 997 version. As a result of these changes the 911 has lost much of its reputation for being a difficult handling car and has instead gain a reputation as being very neutral and driver friendly. Some have suggested the 911 is one of, if not the best handling sports car currently available 8) .

Wheelbase: The 911 because of its compact size has a small wheelbase. This has several affects on the dynamics of the car. A smaller wheelbase results in quicker turn-in response. This can be a problem if the quick rotation into a corner upsets the weight transfer so that it is sudden and upsetting to wheel grip. A short wheelbase also results in greater transfer of weight during acceleration and deceleration. Finally, if or when the 911 transitions into oversteer a shorter wheelbase means that the rear end rotates faster around the car and therefore requires quick response in order to catch the slide with opposite lock. The wheelbase was lengthened in 1969 and again with the development of the 996.

Aerodynamics result in rear lift: The early 911 design was created during a time where very little if anything was known about the aerodynamic affects of lift at high speeds. As a result, the design resulted in lift to the rear end of the car and therefore lower levels of grip as speed increases. This was especially noticeable in 911s with out aerodynamic spoilers at high speeds on long sweeping turns. This has latter been reduced through the changes in the rear portion of the 911 as it has transitioned into the latest version of the 997. It is obvious that the rear end has been raised and has a sharper drop off compared to the original design. This along with the extendable rear spoiler has eliminated rear lift.

Rear semi trailing arms: Semi trailing arms have a tendency to toe out under lateral braking or drop throttle conditions. This toeing out of the rear suspension creates oversteering properties. The issue was partially addressed with the 964 when new coil springs allowed changes to the rear suspension so that they weren’t completely fixed by the torsion bar. The new design allowed movement that actually creates toe in under trailing throttle and decreased tendency to oversteer. This issue was completely addressed by the multilink suspension of the 993.

Turbo lag: For turbo charged cars the effect of turbo lag and then the sudden explosive nature of acceleration was also a potential problem that worked to disturb the weight transfer between wheels. A lack of power due to turbo lag could prevent the driver from transferring sufficient weight to the rear wheels. The sudden explosiveness of the turbo charged engine could also cause too much transfer to the rear wheels or exceed the adhesive ability of the tires. The result causes the rear tires to break free in power oversteer when the driver did not want it.

Small Tires: My personal belief is that Porsche for a reason that is not completely clear to me, has used tires that were inadequate in size . I believe that the width of the tires presented tradeoffs and that Porsche maximized the tires size to achieve a combination of goals. However, I believe that strictly viewed as it relates to handling, the tires are too small. Over the years, as Porsche has moved to the 997, the tires have become wider. I believe this has contributed to the handling performance improvements. Certainly, this might be an area of debate that others may wish to comment on . Obviously, there are other negative affects of wider tires that factor into the decision. A partial list includes increased rolling resistance, increased unsprung weight and decreased aerodynamic efficiencies.

In my next, and I think final post, I will examine in more detail the 3 of the 4 factors that I discussed at the beginning of this post required to win a race. The three that I will discuss in more detail are acceleration, braking and handling as they relate to the dynamics of rear engine designs. I plan on throwing in a little physics to provide a more detailed insight into the advantages and disadvantages of rear engine cars.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:12 PM   #33
crasherror
Regular User

Great Post :roll:
Old 07-29-2004, 07:38 PM   #34
mindgam3
Regular User

"There are some issues that are related to the earlier 911 models specifically that contributed to its reputation for treacherous handling that had nothing to do with the positioning of the engine in the rear"

I don't think you can make all these contributions to snap oversteer without considering the engine was placed at the rear - of course that is going to prove a big factor in almost all the factors you made. If the engine wasn't at the back, the car would be a totally different machine
Old 07-29-2004, 11:06 PM   #35
lakatu
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
"There are some issues that are related to the earlier 911 models specifically that contributed to its reputation for treacherous handling that had nothing to do with the positioning of the engine in the rear"

I don't think you can make all these contributions to snap oversteer without considering the engine was placed at the rear - of course that is going to prove a big factor in almost all the factors you made. If the engine wasn't at the back, the car would be a totally different machine
I want to thank you for your comments . Sincerely, I value dissenting points of view more than confirming views since they challenge people to truly examine and refine their viewpoints 8) . So I would like to encourage you to continue to voice what I believe is an opposing view that the rear engine design provides a great platform for a sports car.

Based on what you pointed out I have refined what I said to try and clarify what I intended to say. Hopefully it is clearer. I think your input is really beneficial. Thanks
Old 07-30-2004, 06:50 AM   #36
mindgam3
Regular User

hehe no problem I look forward to your next part, good job
Old 07-31-2004, 05:36 PM   #37
st-anger
Regular User

MOVED:

posted by BADMIHAI

Is Porsche worth the money?

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...er=asc&start=0 After reading this thread (and others) I've come to the conclusion that many people think Porsches aren't worth the money, and you're only paying for the badge. They say the Corvette is better or at least just as good. I personally think the GT3 is a far better machine than the Z06 and the new C6. I'm waiting for st-anger to tell me why Porsches are really worth the money.

answer by mindgam3:

two words

German Engineering
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:47 PM   #38
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

yeah I have been waiting for st-anger to jump in on the Corvette C6 discussion too...I know that the GT3 is far better than anything made by GM..and it seems obvious to me I mean after riding in a corvette...then if you look inside an S10 pickup the inside looks the exact same..(Z06 model included) ...but other than being cheaply built..I dont think you get close to half of what you get when you buy a GT3...or any Porsche, for that matter...its not just the engineering though, even though that is a lot of it...

St-anger--if you have the time please take a look in the car chat section and check out the Top Gear - new corvette C6 discussion..
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:57 PM   #39
mindgam3
Regular User

Plus, that only tells half the story - what its like on a track.

The other half is what its like on a road, and this is where a 911 (especially GT3, not RS) kills all the competition, even much more expensive cars because of its nimbleness, and also 4WD for those variants who have it
Old 07-31-2004, 05:58 PM   #40
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by st-anger
MOVED:

posted by BADMIHAI

Is Porsche worth the money?

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...er=asc&start=0 After reading this thread (and others) I've come to the conclusion that many people think Porsches aren't worth the money, and you're only paying for the badge. They say the Corvette is better or at least just as good. I personally think the GT3 is a far better machine than the Z06 and the new C6. I'm waiting for st-anger to tell me why Porsches are really worth the money.

answer by mindgam3:

two words

German Engineering
well, already quite a good point from mindgam3...that summs it all up really good because i think we don´t need a discussion about german cars in general, they´re definitely amon the best...

so, Porsches ARE expensive that´s for sure, BUT the buyers get a car that is definitely quite unique among its competitors...

only some key facts...
Porsches are designed for sports car drivers, not for the garage like other manufacturers do, a Porsche is extremely reliable and only the best parts will be installed, PAG has one of the hardest test programs of all sports car manufacturers this goes together with the whole Porsche racing programm, PAG is the most successful brand in racing, won nearly everything what´s possible and among with BWM PAG has always been on top with some very new technologies for their road cars, mainly directely from racing cars...
so we can list here an endless list, and in the end a Porsche is IMO definitely NOT overpriced, and when talking about money, just think of the extremely good resale value, no other cars keep their prices as Porsches...
and last but not least what one needn´t buy but what´s a no cost option on every Porsche: the heritage, the history, the passion and everyone will agree that´s what no other manufacturer or brand has in that specific unique style...

so although i´ve heared some good things about the new Vette, and also the older one, even if it´s half the price and same performance like a Porsche, my choice´d be clear...

i think some others ( yeah my friend, it´s your turn again ) may point all this out a bit more extensive, sorry i don´t have more time, but promise that i´ll have a look at the GT3 vs. C6 topic...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:23 AM   #41
lakatu
Regular User

I thought that I would post some thing a little lighter and not so serious for a change today . I recently rewatched the movie “No Man’s Land”. For those that haven’t seen it is about stealing Porsches. It has two scenes that feature high speed Porsche driving. One where they drive a 911 Cabriolet at high speeds down a canyon and then later there is a chase scene with a 930 8) .

I was wondering what are some other favorite movies that feature high speed Porsche driving scenes. I can think of two more. The first is “Against All Odds”. Where a Ferrari 308 GTS races a 911 SC Cabriolet in traffic. The second is “Bad Boys” with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. They chase after a Cobra in a 965 3.6L.

Any other favorites?
Old 08-02-2004, 01:22 PM   #42
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

Gone in 60 seconds!

In the very begining they steal a Porsche 911 and race this guy in a rice rocket, haha...its pretty funny...there are a ton of sweet cars in that movie..not only that, without the cars it is still a really good movie, its something that people who arent really into cars can watch too!
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:06 PM   #43
mindgam3
Regular User

plus its not rice n cheesy like fast n furious
Old 08-02-2004, 02:53 PM   #44
sameerrao
Regular User

Le Mans (Porsche 917s)
Getaway from Stockholm - I dont recall which episode - had a pre-964 Porsche Turbo
Did one of James Dean's movies have his 550 speedster in it?

Originally Posted by lakatu
I thought that I would post some thing a little lighter and not so serious for a change today . I recently rewatched the movie “No Man’s Land”. For those that haven’t seen it is about stealing Porsches. It has two scenes that feature high speed Porsche driving. One where they drive a 911 Cabriolet at high speeds down a canyon and then later there is a chase scene with a 930 8) .

I was wondering what are some other favorite movies that feature high speed Porsche driving scenes. I can think of two more. The first is “Against All Odds”. Where a Ferrari 308 GTS races a 911 SC Cabriolet in traffic. The second is “Bad Boys” with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. They chase after a Cobra in a 965 3.6L.

Any other favorites?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 02:56 PM   #45
lakatu
Regular User

I had forgotten about LeMans with Steve McQueen. The Getaway in Stockholm you are referring to is the first one. You couldn't tell other than the sound of the engine (no turbocharger) but the 911 used in the first Getaway was actually a normally aspirated 3.2L with Ruf exhaust. You can find the information about the car they used on their website. http://www.getawayinstockholm.com/main.html under FAQ. Nice video too.