Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-05-2004, 02:33 PM   #1
biff19_a
Regular User

Default Best road you have driven

Dont know if this in the right area.. but just out of curiosity. I just got back from a vacation in europe. Spent most of the time in the pyrenees going back and forth from France to Spain. I must say those were some of the best roads i have ever driven one.
I am hopeing to get a decent list so that on the next vacation i head to i might know where to thrash the crap out of another 207 diesel.
biff19_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
Fleischmann
Regular User

Probably the road leading to Andorra. And along the west coast of Croatia. Very twisty roads
Old 09-05-2004, 02:43 PM   #3
Mopsdrops
Regular User

mmmmmmm, when i was last vacation at France you must take the shortest way from Beann to Verzy ! i know it's not precise but i don't know the name. but thats a really really really really nice way. almost no car a whole day long ! between the woods all super nice cornors between the woods. good to drift or drive a Ferrari ! four hours long of that way. just spectacular.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
jon_s
Regular User

A road in the French alps, leading to Tignes. I have driven it both in the summer and winter, best road in the world!! (well, ok, maybe not) but if you are in a 'vocal' car, the noise bounces off the mountains as you twist your way to the resort.

One needs a powerful car though, it is pretty steep, and the way down is hard on the old brakes!

here is part ot it:

jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
TT
Regular User

Well my fav mountain pass here in Switzerland is the Nuefenen, between Ticino and Valais, a long and almost always deserted pass. Great fun! Fast, challenging but not too dangerous or hard on the brakes while coming down on either side
Old 09-05-2004, 03:30 PM   #6
sameerrao
Regular User

Nothing as dramatic but encountered some nice roads last weekend ...

- Highway 120E towards Tioga Pass in Yosemite - very curvy and goes up to 10000 ft+. Very cool views.

- Highway 120W towards Fresno - lot of nice sweepers - good for fast driving

- Highway 17 on route to Monterey - stomach wrenching curves when done fast

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 03:31 PM   #7
cooperluke
Regular User

Hummm.... here in Portugal, my favourite road is the one that goes from Marinha Grande to S. Pedro de Moel. It's 7 miles long, but very very very twisty. It's along a pine-wood, and the tarmac is very good.
In exception for a long straight at the beginning, is a very very technical road, where the things that matter are your driving skills and the handling of the car. The engine is not very important. (I have left an Audi A3 TDi 130 behind with my Mini Cooper 1300

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 03:40 PM   #8
Fleischmann
Regular User

I forgot to mention the Sahara desert ...150km/h over bumpy roads in a Toyota Land Crusier Yahoooooooooooo!! Badass!!
Old 09-05-2004, 04:07 PM   #9
sameerrao
Regular User

Keep it coming. I lov this post. Next time anyone wants to travel to a country covered above they know where to go ....

What about Wales, Scotland ... come on some of you guys from UK give us the goods...

More European countries will be good. Also Canada ...

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:35 PM   #10
jon_s
Regular User

The M25 lol

The best roads in this country, are usually B roads. You have to know them quite well to get the most out of them. Wales has some good roads.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:14 PM   #11
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Once i love riding a car in twisty roads.....apart from roads around Andorra which are great fun to drive, there are other interesting roads such as the roads on the whole north of Spain overall(The basque country, Cantabria, Asturias, Galice)..where roads are very twisty all the time and narrow many times when getting the regional roads, roads up and down the hill, very slippery roads due to the humidity of the regions, and the rainy weather as well........
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:52 AM   #12
oldsnail
Regular User

i driven across canada..

the scenerio's are nice from nice curvy roads for roughly 900kms starting at the west coast, to a near flat and straight road extending for 2000kms which is mundane and boring. straight roads are very easy to fall asleep too.. but its all cool after that..
Old 09-06-2004, 08:50 AM   #13
Gnome
Regular User

All the roads in western Norway are twisty!

This is a satellite picture of the Sognefjord, the longest fjord in the world. It's more than 200 km (120 miles) long. There are very high mountains (1000 to 2000 m) surrounding it, and the fjord is up to 1300 meters deep, so the nature is spectacular and steep. When the coastline looks like this, the easies way to build a road is to make it follow the shore. In and out almost every little turn of the fjord. Traveling in this region takes time, but the driving is great fun! And the view is always great!
Old 09-06-2004, 09:18 AM   #14
jon_s
Regular User

Ahhh, yes, Norway. It is a place I intend on visiting. For some reason it is often overlooked by people! I don't know why, especially considering the quality of the scenary! You are a lucky person living in Norway! 8)
Old 09-06-2004, 09:19 AM   #15
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

thanks for the pics of the scenery gnome......the sight of the mountains that youve showed us above looks fantastic.....on the other hand, i havent commented the sights of Andorra and the north of Spain(if a person goes to enjoy driving, he doesnt have to consider the scenery to maintain the concentration on drving)...but they are very beautiful also(the scenery of Andorra seems that resembles quite a lot the norwegian one once they are about 2000-2500 meters high, whereas the roads on the north of spain are not far to the level of the sea.....but as green as the scottish orography for example
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote