Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #31
Anonymous

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
if we really wanted to show donating members, we could change their name color to blue or something.
Is the nice feeling of giving something back not enough for you people I agree with what someone else said earlier, no need for any special visable things, just make others not in a position to donate feel bad. Just offer some other perks as suggested earlier in the thread IMO.

Originally Posted by yg60m

Originally Posted by AL123
What can i say i'm not going to bullshit. I was going to leave this topic alone but suggestions of a pay service i can't leave, some members are unable for whatever reason to donate/ pay, does that make them any less valauable to the site???
I am sure it wasn't the idea no service to pay, if you want to donate then it's ok but (I suppose) nobody will know it except Jabba and admins ... that would be fair I think : giving the total but not the donaters or even not giving the total I don't know. ...
Sure i know they don't want to do that, just I wanted people to stop bloody suggesting it its a crap idea.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:31 AM   #32
ZfrkS62
Regular User

^^ that was me AL!

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
Old 10-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #33
Anonymous

^^ that was me AL!
ah lol well its a good idea to offer perks, i'm dipping in and out of this topic when i should be finishing this proposal bloody JW so distracting

Old 10-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #34
yg60m
Regular User

I think all the reasonable people are agree
Old 10-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #35
Jabba
Regular User

It looks like the extras is liked by all....perhaps some small and basic image hosting.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:36 AM   #36
Roadster44
Regular User

well the best perks IMO would be the ones that any visitor gets to enjoy.. a fast site with more features and more content

one idea I have if we can get a better server with more hard drive spce is to code our own image hosting service kinda like imageshack.. but specifically for use just by JW.. hosted on the same server so the images are always available and load superfast
Old 10-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #37
RC45
Regular User

Would some "cheap" but powerful hardware that - uhm, fell off a truck help?

What sort of specs?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:43 AM   #38
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by Dan
well the best perks IMO would be the ones that any visitor gets to enjoy.. a fast site with more features and more content

one idea I have if we can get a better server with more hard drive spce is to code our own image hosting service kinda like imageshack.. but specifically for use just by JW.. hosted on the same server so the images are always available and load superfast
OK I am quite happy to order the server you have suggested and hope once everyone sees what it has to offer that they will be happier to put something towards it.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:46 AM   #39
ZfrkS62
Regular User

any chance we could consider this a belated b-day/xmas present to the site itself? put in perspective, i think it does kind of work out that way (at least in my twisteed little mind

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #40
jonas240z

Originally Posted by RC45
Would some "cheap" but powerful hardware that - uhm, fell off a truck help?

What sort of specs?
haha well.. the only problem I see with having our own hardware is you need colocation hosting, so you need someone local who can go and set it up, and be available 24/7 to go and fix it if there is a problem, and as the uk sucks for that the only real option is the US.. sure its possible if we had someone trustworthy to do those things BUT I still prefer to rent a server and let the datacentre be responsible for hardware side of it, they pay for new patrs if it breaks and are always there to fix it quickly.. that way you dont have to worry about it

Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #41
BADMIHAI
Regular User

I would gladly donate if I had access to the said download features.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #42
Jabba
Regular User

any chance we could consider this a belated b-day/xmas present to the site itself? put in perspective, i think it does kind of work out that way (at least in my twisteed little mind
Thats a good idea....rather than getting me anything for xmas or my birthday I would prefer you put the money towards the site. Presents are a PITA now anyway.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #43
jon_s
Regular User

In the long run I am not sure that voluntary donations is a viable idea. There may be an influx of money initially for those who support the site, but sure even those of us who have the best intentions would 'forget' to continue donating. Even if I am wrong, there would be no way to gauge how much money is going to come in. Obviously the worst case (although unlikely) would be that no money comes in for a period of time meaning that Jabba would have to cover the costs.

The soultion? I have no answers, maye a two tier system. I don't mean this to segrigate the 'population' in any way, but we could have the voulntary donation avaliable to every member. Upon donation some form of reward/perk should follow. This would allow those who do not want to be tied in (however losely) to an annual subscription. I am very selective with my subscriptions, which means that if I was any less dedicated to this site I would think twice about signing up. I am fairly sure this would apply to a fair few of JW's members.

So the second tier would be a full blown subscription. I would comfortably pay £20-30 a year. Again some form of perk would be nice. Although I am pretty happy with what I have got thus far 0X
Old 10-11-2005, 11:55 AM   #44
Jabba
Regular User

Yeh we are looking towards an annual subscription with extra benefits at the moment it seems.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #45
Anonymous

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
I would gladly donate if I had access to the said download features.
you see thats what i'm not comfortble with, if people donate it should be because they enjoy the site and its wealth of features/ community, not to download some vids, not to mention the potential legal minefield. I know some will think just because they donate they have some god given right to everything, though i'm sure they'll be told to take a long run of a very short pier or something less pleasant Really I don't want this to become another RF, its pathetic there, just take a look round its dead.

Closed Thread