Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 09-01-2004, 08:14 AM   #16
gis
Regular User

im curious about that.doesnt it matter if it gets really cold and the water freezes on top?

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:28 AM   #17
jon_s
Regular User

In our old pond (which was really well established..around 9years) the air bubbles kept a part of the pond free from ice. We have had over an inch of ice on the pond before now and not lost any fish. Unfortunately, our pond is really new, and has yet to establish its self -(i.e the water still has too much chlorine in it, not enough plants e.t.c)- so there is a possibility we may lose some thins year if it is particularly cold. We are doing everything we can to get things up and running. The winter is another reason why we are leaving the 'expensive' (NOT £18,000) fish untill spring.

Things to do for winter:

1) a net needs to go across the pond to prevent all the leaves going in. Lots of dead leaves in a pond upset the water balance.

2)Fish food needs to be high in carbs and low in protein. This fattens them uip for winter. The fish don't hibernate during winter, their metabolism falls with the water temperature. Therefore they need enough fat to feed on during winter.

3)Heron protection, as the plant have died away. fishing wire around six inches above the water, and criss crossed will help. We are going to put drainage pipes in the pond as there are so few plants for the fish to hide in at the moment.

4) Fish only need 18inches of water to live in during winter...so in theory, as long as there is a break in the ice, the pond can freeze all the way down!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:48 PM   #18
PaulGT2164
Regular User

hrmm i have no yard, ill just have to convert my bathtub to a fish pond...who needs persoanl hygene anyhows =) lol

one of my neighbors has a large yard pond surrounded by rocks, and its done really poorly so all there is in it is alot of mosquito larvae lol

yours looks much better
Old 09-19-2004, 11:43 AM   #19
jon_s
Regular User

Well, I feel a little deflated today. The Heron has visited our pond, and cleared out £400 worth of fish. What takes the piss, is the fact that it was done while we were out getting nets to protect the pond.

On a slightly brighter not, the finishing touches are coming on nicely. I will get pics when I get over the fact I have no fish in my pond.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #20
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
Well, I feel a little deflated today. The Heron has visited our pond, and cleared out £400 worth of fish. What takes the piss, is the fact that it was done while we were out getting nets to protect the pond.

On a slightly brighter not, the finishing touches are coming on nicely. I will get pics when I get over the fact I have no fish in my pond.

That sucks Fucking bastard Heron... £400 is a lot of money. I hope they tasted good

I hope you can get some more nice fish, and tht the nets go up before they are released into the pond... you must be gutted.

On another note, the pond looks just splendid

BTW - will it require much cleaning/maintenance, or will it look after itself?
Old 09-19-2004, 12:09 PM   #21
jon_s
Regular User

Appart from filters, it should look after itself. Just have to keep the leaves out, that is it.

Not all is lost!!! I have one fish left! Still can't quite believe it. I have had these fish since they were tiny. They have survived 6-7 years in one pond, then managed to survive a move to our new house. They lived in a temporary tank for a year. Christ. What a lot of effort in making the pond for them just to be eaten.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:54 PM   #22
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i just converted the cost of your big koi into USD and DAMN :shock: I could buy a new car for that! what is so special about these fish that they are that much money?

on the other hand it would look pretty good in your pond...nice job on that btw

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:20 PM   #23
jon_s
Regular User

Luckily the fish you talk of are not mine lol however I did lose around $717 USD for the fish I did own.

In terms of the expensive Koi, it all comes down a few factors. Mainly the breeder. Then the colour definition, how old/large the fish is. Some types of Koi are worth more than others: Combine the best breeder, with a fish that is 4/5 years old that has bright, well defined markings, then you are talking big money. Not quite sure why they get to nearly 20k though
Old 09-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #24
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
i just converted the cost of your big koi into USD and DAMN :shock: I could buy a new car for that! what is so special about these fish that they are that much money?
LOL... i don't think Jon owns any of those 18k fish

Originally Posted by jon_s
Not all is lost!!! I have one fish left! Still can't quite believe it. I have had these fish since they were tiny. They have survived 6-7 years in one pond, then managed to survive a move to our new house. They lived in a temporary tank for a year. Christ. What a lot of effort in making the pond for them just to be eaten.
I suppose it's similar to losing a dog, or cat. It's a shame that after all of the care you gave them, all of the expense that you went to, that a single Heron ate them

Good luck with the final parts of the build, and i hope you get some real nice new fish
Old 09-19-2004, 01:28 PM   #25
jon_s
Regular User

Yeah, the fish will be replaced, but not untill Spring. It is the wrong time of year to introduce them to a new pond. Imagine replacing them all and then not making it through the winter!! I think I would cry lol.

It will be a few years before they grow to a nice size though. The new fish will have over 6 years of growth to catch up on.