Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 03-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #46
RC45
Regular User

Seems a little self-promoting - my gut feel is they are exaggerating the "real feel" - just the way GT4 is a little exaggerated.

[edit] I take that back - I say they are talking BULLSHIT.

Where is the top grade force feed back steering wheel for the the X-Box?

Race drivers don't drive with joysticks so how the hell can you compare a joystick lap to a steering wheel and shifter lap?

You can't - just the same way PGR2 is unrealistic - but they asked race car drivers" how it felt, and they said it felt realistic... how the hell can a joystick feel realistic.

This is a self promoting piece that Micro$haft put together and suckered PSM into writing.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #47
bmagni
Regular User

watch the video, is really cool
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #48
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Seems a little self-promoting - my gut feel is they are exaggerating the "real feel" - just the way GT4 is a little exaggerated.
Yea, a bit. Still an interesting read.
I just want to know how well that Fanatec wheel works?
666fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:57 PM   #49
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmagni
watch the video, is really cool
Its just a s split screen real vs in agme... means nothibg really.

Without a decent wheel it is a waste of time. Just because you hit the same entry point/apex and exit in the game as real life, doesn't make the game a realistic simulaiton - again I ask who the hell drives a car with a joystick.

They have that wheel - bu what about the rest of us?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:03 PM   #50
SilviaEvo
Regular User

what wheel is good for Xbox? i need a racing wheel. the Nascar one is shit. got it at a garage sale for a dollar and wanted to test it. it only turns 90 degrees shoulda known not to buy it Nascar racers dont even go 90 degrees
Old 03-15-2005, 09:14 PM   #51
bmagni
Regular User

i really sounds promising, we just have to wait and see, but so far so good, and i dont think is gonna be a let down, like GT3 was for me...

@RC45: i know bout the rcing wheel, but if the simulation is so great in the steering wheel, with the joystick is gonna be also really good

Just because you hit the same entry point/apex and exit in the game as real life, doesn't make the game a realistic simulaiton

can't usee theyre running at the same speed almost doing the same things? so it just isnt hitting the apex...
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:35 PM   #52
666fast
Regular User

They have that wheel - bu what about the rest of us?

Umm, wait for it to ome out so you can buy it maybe?
http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/...005-WrapUp/p2/

It was designed for Forza, so I'd hope it works well with it. I have no idea if it's out or when it comes out though.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:57 PM   #53
RC45
Regular User

^^ had access to a previous FANATEC wheel before.. it was rather shitty.

i really sounds promising, we just have to wait and see, but so far so good, and i dont think is gonna be a let down, like GT3 was for me...

@RC45: i know bout the rcing wheel, but if the simulation is so great in the steering wheel, with the joystick is gonna be also really good
Not the point - I do not like GT and GT2 because there is no wheel support. I don't drive a car with a joystick, why should I drive a game with one?

PGR2 is an ok toy game - simply because there is no good wheel.

Just because you hit the same entry point/apex and exit in the game as real life, doesn't make the game a realistic simulaiton

can't usee theyre running at the same speed almost doing the same things? so it just isnt hitting the apex...
Yes it is... you can do the same thing with any driving game... just have an in-car video and drive at the same speed. no biggie.. I already did it with a Best Motoring video and Tsukaba in GT4...
Old 03-16-2005, 02:21 PM   #54
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Why do these marketing and dev wankers keeps pushing these GAMES as hard core simulators? Neither the xbox nor the ps2 have the processing power to run a decent physics engine in the background. Thats it. Period. No point for the argument to go farther. A good physics engine takes a lot of power. You would need a spare ps2 just to run the engine and another one to take care of the graphics if you wanted to run anything decent.

I have zero respect for this console scene now. Say its a mediocre simulator or something, dont go sayings its some hardcore shit. There is no fucking way these guys gathered at least 10 laps(different tracks) of any modern telemetry data to accuratly simulate these cars. There is no fucking way these guys gathered all the data needed to simulate the rubber these cars run on.

So every time I hear someone come out and say "This is a simulator" and the game has over 200 cars in it I just laugh.

Only games that can in reality can be sims are the ones that are based on some sord of series of racing. Were you have 20 different models tops.

Lastly how the fuck is this even remotly a sim when the wheels is some rumble peice of shit......................Talk about simulation.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #55
RC45
Regular User

^^^ send the "secret formula" for configuring some decent PC sims...

Files to DL, patches to apply, skins to include, sounds to pathc in and tracks to apply... heheh
Old 03-16-2005, 03:04 PM   #56
5vz-fe
Regular User

There is a difference in running a very accurate physics engine than a close proximity physics engine. When doing programming, the first 80% of the work usually take up 20% of the time and the last 20% takes up 80%. Its pretty much the same to a physics engine in a game. What GT4 does is approximate some of the rather complicated variable into a fixed constant so that it will not take up alot of processing power. 70~80% accurate for GT4....can't say anything about Forza yet.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #57
mindgam3
Regular User

Whatever about the physics engine, even with GT4's flaws, Forza's graphics and modelling aren't looking half as good as GT4 and therefore playing forza after GT4 will always be a let down, no matter how good the rest of the game is over GT4 - if at all.
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #58
SFDMALEX
Regular User

^^^ send the "secret formula" for configuring some decent PC sims...

Files to DL, patches to apply, skins to include, sounds to pathc in and tracks to apply... heheh
Are you serious or just kidding?

If your serious then first thing go and buy GTR of amazon.co.uk
Doesnt need any patches, except I can send you a 300mb zip full of addon tracks

Pick up rbr at amazon.com, no patches needed there.

And if you want I can recomend some cool F1c 9902 mods, but I dont really do F1c anymore.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #59
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
There is a difference in running a very accurate physics engine than a close proximity physics engine. When doing programming, the first 80% of the work usually take up 20% of the time and the last 20% takes up 80%. Its pretty much the same to a physics engine in a game. What GT4 does is approximate some of the rather complicated variable into a fixed constant so that it will not take up alot of processing power. 70~80% accurate for GT4....can't say anything about Forza yet.
Yeah thats great and all, but I want a rather complicated model instead of a fixed constant. THats what seperates arcade from sim, boys from men, dicks from pussies Its the details.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #60
RC45
Regular User

see new topic....

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=370556#370556