Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 02-10-2009, 03:10 AM   #151
10000rpmlover
Regular User

retire april 1st?

bwahahahaha do you really believe it?

why the long face 79? I know I know... but no matter how many temper tantrums he threw, the board still said no to a pontiac trans am revival, I got the inside scoop on that, would have been nice, but i think GM wants to kill off pontiac as a brand, they should drop buick though, I certainly like some pontiacs too

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:23 AM   #152
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Buick's too big in China to kill. Saturn will be killed before Pontiac. And Pontiac may be reduced to like a two car brand. That's what I've been hearing.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #153
Mattk
Regular User

Yeah, Buick China is what has kept GM alive and is what will keep GM alive. Lutz was an erudite man with a realistic outlook, but still championed real cars. Significantly for Holden, he championed the Monaro and Commodore for import as the GTO and G8.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #154
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by 10000rpmlover View Post
retire april 1st?

bwahahahaha do you really believe it?

why the long face 79? I know I know... but no matter how many temper tantrums he threw, the board still said no to a pontiac trans am revival, I got the inside scoop on that, would have been nice, but i think GM wants to kill off pontiac as a brand, they should drop buick though, I certainly like some pontiacs too
officially, he's out at the end of 2009; but steps down from his position on April 1st. There is a very difficult battle internally at GM; the current leader is clear.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #155
nthfinity
Regular User

CTS-V is officially dead... what a damn shame

DETROIT -- General Motors, focusing on mainstream products in a battle to survive, has scrapped a unit that produced high-performance vehicles.

GM today disbanded High Performance Vehicle Operations, which is based at the company's suburban Detroit technical center, and redeployed its engineers, said spokesman Vince Muniga.

"All high-performance projects are on indefinite hold," Muniga said. "The engineers are moving into different areas of the organization, and they will work on Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs."

The unit created low-volume vehicles for GM's divisions designed to appeal to enthusiasts and bolster the company's image. Products included V-series Cadillacs and the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS and a V-8 version of the Colorado.

Muniga said there are no plans for high-performance versions of upcoming cars.The move is in the spirit of GM's viability plan delivered to the U.S. Treasury Department on Tuesday. In the plan, GM said its future-product focus is on fuel- efficient cars and crossovers. It also pledged to increase its current offering of six hybrids to 14 by 2012 and to 26 by 2014. GM also boosted its request for federal aid by as much as $16.6 billion.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #156
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Nnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #157
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Saturn maybe. But never Pontiac. I'd rather see Pontiac's tombstone next to Oldsmobile than to see it whored out to anyone. But those brands are worthless. That's what they are. Brands. Hummer at least carries an image, but Saturn and Pontiac do not register at all outside North America. They don't have their own technology. Everything Saturn and Pontiac sold is based off some other car in the massive GM empire. It makes for cheaper development, but also drastically lowers the brand value. And identity.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #158
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
CTS-V is officially dead... what a damn shame
That right there is a damn shame. One of their best achievements kicked to the wayside.

Good job GM.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #159
5vz-fe
Regular User

So all they have left is the Corvette.

For ppl that would buy the Corvette, maybe they want to make their money more sound and buy a 4 door and now they have no other choices but to go German.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #160
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe View Post
So all they have left is the Corvette.

For ppl that would buy the Corvette, maybe they want to make their money more sound and buy a 4 door and now they have no other choices but to go German.
There isn't a C6 replacement though. And CTS is still in production. Only few would've opted for a CTS-V anyway. But that massive halo effect now has come crashing down into the abyss.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:54 AM   #161
HeilSvenska
Regular User

When General Motors made the announcement yesterday that it was shutting down it High Performance Vehicle Operations, a few questions surfaced about what would happen to the models that haven't hit dealers but are still in the pipeline. While the answers seemed obvious to us (development's done so they're still on the way), GM spokesman Vince Muniga sought to address the concerns of enthusiasts.

Muniga told InsideLine that the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS is coming out and "is not threatened at all." Furthermore, and just as obvious, the Cadillac CTS-V, Cobalt SS and HHR SS will soldier on until their production run ends, and vehicles like the Camaro SS, Corvette ZR1 and Z06 – all of which were developed as regular production models, not through HPVO – are safe.

The 60 or so engineers behind the HPVO team are still receiving paychecks with Wagoner's signature and have begun working on everything from passenger vehicles to crossovers. According to Muniga, "We're not going to let those talents go to waste."
Old 02-20-2009, 04:45 AM   #162
79TA
Regular User

Well, thankfully it seems that models currently in production (or already developed like the Camaro) will at least get to run out their product cycles, so the V's, ZR1's and SS's will keep coming for a couple/few years . . . right?
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:44 AM   #163
fordgt84
Regular User

wow the best high performance sedan out there is being put to sleep...what a damn shame

how many cts-v's have been made so far?
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #164
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by fordgt84 View Post
wow the best high performance sedan out there is being put to sleep...what a damn shame

how many cts-v's have been made so far?
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/19/2...vo-shuttering/

So far as I can tell, the V is not being killed, but it won't be back for the next generation CTS.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 AM   #165
nthfinity
Regular User

http://www.reuters.com/article/reute...5B103S20091202

UAW-Obama placed chief of the board forces Fritz Henderson to "resign" and takes over in interim himself. GM is completely out of private leadership now. Another milestone, and depressing day in Michigan.