Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:01 PM   #46
gucom
Regular User

wow niiiice 8) i'd love a car like that, it's definitely somewhere on my "aspirational ladder"... and a '91 model, that was their last year of production i believe? excellent car, the 944 S2 looks so much better than the S1 both outside and inside. Congratz
Old 08-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #47
stradale
Regular User

Congrats, TT!!!!

Great value for money! In Switzerland at least. I don't know about 944 prices around here, but I think it's safe to say you won't find a pristine 944 S2 for the same money in the Netherlands...

How much does it weigh? (yeah, I'm too lazy to look it up and it gives you the chance to look up all kinds of interesting info on your new car)

I don't know how many kms your planning on driving it a year, but if it's a low figure you can also try and get some special insurance, like you have for classic cars. That usually saves a great deal of money.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:58 PM   #48
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinigami
You went through quite a list of potential cars, didn't you

A 300SL, Audi TT, and then you ended up buying something quite different. Hope it ends up being a dream ride *thumbsup*
The whole process in chronological order goes like that:

Porsche 911 (1969-1970), hard to find a good one for a good price
Porsche 912, prices went quite high now
Porsche 356, not good for a daily drive
Porsche 911 3.0, uhm.. dunno
Porsche 964, too exensive, rare to find in proper colors
Mercedes SL R129 V6 (280 or 300)
Porsche 914-6, most of the are beaten down
Oldsmobile V6 from the 80s, crap
Audi TT, too many grey ones..
Porsche 944 S2, mine

Originally Posted by insane
Looks like it's in great condition from the outside. So I guess I have to congradulate you... Nice move, obviously I haven't driven one, but I've heard they're great fun and make for great tuning matherial, if that's what you want to do.

Enjoy the car and get us more pics soon.
Not sure if and what I'll do to it... I am still looking for a good 964 as a second car

Originally Posted by cooperluke
I'm not a big fan of the 924/944, but hey... much better than the 320, and it seems to be in top shape!!

And, 6600eur.... would make me think twice if I found one it good shape here in Portugal!!! My Austin Mini is going to stay more expensive than that!!

What about reliability and parts price? Good? Guess you checked on that..

It's a 2990cc with 211hp, right?

It should be "adequately fast" for a daily user!
If you do the services right, not many thing will break down.. parts ain't cheap but didn't check I prefer not to know!

TT: how long have you had your drivers license?

Since you'll pay insurance depending on the new price of the car (for those who don't know, that's the way it works in Switzerland, and it sucks), you could definitely get "raped" by the insurance companies.

A quick check shows that the new price of this car is between 98k and 120k chf, and if you've had your license for 5 years, you'll probably pay between 3000 and 5000chf, depending on the insurance company.
LOL, talk about beeing raped I had my lincense since I was 18, that makes like 9 years.
But anyway I'll pay what needed, I am beyond the point of no return anyway :bah: and when you love, you pay!

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
I have always pictured the 944 as a step closer to 911, is that your next?
Good looking car and cheap also. 5 years older here, only one S, is 9000€
Congratulations TT!
Definitely I don't want it to be my first and only Porsche

Originally Posted by redbaron
Congratulations TT!!

Have fun with it

How does it feel to say you own a Porsche?
I would be a dork if I would tell you it does nothing even if it's a 944, it makes you feel a bit special I guess

btw: wasn't there some kinda report about drivers and their sexuality that was done some time ago. Apparently, the people who were mostly likely to "sleep around", were Porsche driver

TT: now be nice and stay faithful to your GF, you hear me It's not because you have a Porsche that you can go running after other girls :p
Dude, comon, why do you think I bought a Porsche? I don't fucking care about heritage, I just want to bone everything

Originally Posted by stradale
Congrats, TT!!!!

Great value for money! In Switzerland at least. I don't know about 944 prices around here, but I think it's safe to say you won't find a pristine 944 S2 for the same money in the Netherlands...

How much does it weigh? (yeah, I'm too lazy to look it up and it gives you the chance to look up all kinds of interesting info on your new car)

I don't know how many kms your planning on driving it a year, but if it's a low figure you can also try and get some special insurance, like you have for classic cars. That usually saves a great deal of money.
Around 1350 kg, still ok.
And I plan to do some 20'000 per year if affordable so, definitely no special insurance, and prolly it's not old enough anyway
Old 08-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #49
RC45
Regular User

However, over here it's also "obligatory" to have car insurance. Without it, you can't have license plates, and without license plates, you can't drive a car.

I hear many sad situations (on American automotive forums) where the users have ended up in being hit by other people who have no form of insurance... Thus the person with insurance bares the grunt. IMO, insurance should be obligatory because situations like that totally suck... And too many people get away with it too (at least according to the forums).

Gas also dropped here, although not as much as in the states, oh well :p
Insurance is obligatory. They are talking about people who break the law and drive without insurance.

Your system sound slike the car carries the insurance, not the person.

I am sure there are unscrupulous and law breaking people in Switzerland who drive cars with illegal plates and no insurance - until they get caught.

Afterall, it's not like the car won't start or drive with expired insurance, tags or plates

But any how, unisured motorist insurance part of the way you protect yourself against, uninsured motorists
Old 08-23-2006, 07:01 PM   #50
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Paying insurance on the "New Price" of a 20 year old car seems a little daft?

Afterall, the car is no longer worth that - seems a little excessive.

Oh well, such are the prices of living in europe... -- did we mention gasoline dropped in price by about 20c a gallon this last week?
Yup, paying full price is stupid and nobody can quite explain why it's done... Meanwhile, the insurance companies profit. But it means a lot of people who could otherwise own a very expensive car as second hand, don't, because the rest of the stuff of ownership is out of their hands... (keeps a lot of kids off the streets with powerful cars, which some consider a good thing).

The insurance companies are usually not that fussy if something goes wrong, such as an accident. You're paid quite upfront for your car. However, over here it's also "obligatory" to have car insurance. Without it, you can't have license plates, and without license plates, you can't drive a car.

I hear many sad situations (on American automotive forums) where the users have ended up in being hit by other people who have no form of insurance... Thus the person with insurance bares the grunt. IMO, insurance should be obligatory because situations like that totally suck... And too many people get away with it too (at least according to the forums).

Gas also dropped here, although not as much as in the states, oh well :p
Insuarance is supposed to be mandatory here as well, but the police won't know untill they pull you over and ask for your proof of insurance. If you get caught without it, it's at the officers discretion as to what will be done. If you play dumb and can't find the card, you might get lucky and they'll believe you. You'll probably still get a ticket though. Or, the cop can arrest you. If they find out you don't have insurance, you'll lose your license for 6 months or so.

Crappy story, this just happened here. A guy who has been pulled over many times for all kinds of things and has been caught driving with no insurance. He was driving his friends car and was pulled over and had no proof. Doesn't matter than it wasn't his car, he should have checked the police say. Anyway, gets hauled off to jail. Is put in a cell with an inmate being transferred to another prison. The guy was beaten to death by the inmate being transferred!!!!!!!!

As for people being hit by others with no insurance, It happens all the time. My boss's old 911 was written off by a guy with no insurance. It was a Red Slant Nose 911 that was very highly modified. He sued the guy who hit him and the guy is still paying for it 5 years later. Which is a better choice: $100 a month for insurance or a judgement to pay $80,000 for a car you wrecked? LOL My boss replaced it with a 996TT.

A friend of mine was rear ended by a 14 year old girl who stole her moms car, that had no insurance. He sued for the replacement of his car and medical costs. Of course, he won.

Sound slike we should adopt the no insurance = no license plate here. I had to replace my plates a few weeks ago as some nob stole the front plate. All I needed was my drivers license and they handed me new plates.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:28 AM   #51
TT
Regular User

Little update... the plates aren't fucking ready! Delivery date moved to tomorrow, but tomorrow evening I'll have to leave to go to Lausanne, so time will be limited, and the garage owner will come back from a trip in the late afternoon..
If unlucky I'll have to take my baby home Monday let's hope we can sort it out tomorrow!!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:29 AM   #52
Shinigami
Regular User

What I meant by the insurance stuff is that to have the plates, you need proof of insurance. If you don't pay your insurance on time, they will notify the authorities, who will then ask for the plates back.

This means that it's nearly impossible to drive a car if you don't have insurance.

Of course it's possible to "drive" the car, but you would have to forge the license plates, or drive without them. In either case, the cops will fuck you up bad, especially if you get caught speeding etc...

The way it seems to work in the states is different, in that you just get the plates, and then work out an insurance deal. Meanwhile, you can drive the car without insurance all you want. Over here, that is nearly impossible (maybe for a day or two before you get a call or a letter). But anyway...

TT: you randy little boy Good thing you've had your license for 9 years now. As long as you haven't been in an accident in the past 5 years, you should have nearly full (if not full) deductions. Shouldn't cost you more then 2000chf a year in insurance, and with your job, that should be perfectly affordable
Old 08-24-2006, 05:38 AM   #53
TT
Regular User

Hehe, and here is the prob: I rammed into a big Toyota 4Runner while I was leaving a parking place in reverse one or two years ago, and I totally exploded his rear door :roll: my car got almost nothing but of course it was up to me to pay for the damn Toyota, so everything was boosted up again at full or almost price :roll:
Anyway to pay for it shouldn't be a prob afterall, I'll just spend less elsewhere (travels and such). I won't stress for this.
Also, need to get rid of the BMW because paying for it too isn't very smart and I don't really need two cars now
Old 08-24-2006, 04:56 PM   #54
TT
Regular User

Yeh, such cars are cheap but often abused. Not my case never took on track, bone stock!

Second car, so far I'll do without it, but I want actually something sportier, the 944 beeing the daily drive

I looked into the E30, but too expensive to buy a mint condition one!

Yes, I think I'll mod it
this winter I'll put winter tires on the stock wheels, then next summer I'll see if I can find a good solution for summer wheels. Maybe some 17, but IMO older cars handle and look better with the original size, and apparently those stock wheels are pretty light already.
I won't turn it into a bling Porsche anyway.

I will probably lower it once the original shock absorbers will give their soul and will probably buy a louder muffler

I also plan to become member of the Porsche Club Italia to be able to attend some track events or weekend around Europe with them

The future is bright and in 24 hours I should be driving the baby toward Lausanne, finally!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:44 PM   #55
blinkmeat
Regular User

Congrats TT
Old 08-25-2006, 03:26 AM   #56
TT
Regular User

And finally I will be a bit less ashamed to pop up at a car fanatics meeting no supercar maybe, but heaps better than my BMW
Old 08-25-2006, 04:01 AM   #57
pzgren
Regular User

hey mate, we now can take some porsche combo pics if when i'm coming down to lugano in a few weeks
Old 08-25-2006, 04:57 AM   #58
TT
Regular User

Oh, definitely! I hope you'll come and hope we can find a way to finally meet in real life

My poor 944 would look quite pale beside your nice 996, but well, we can always try
Old 08-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #59
Wutputt
Regular User

Congrats TT with your new ride! Have fun with it
Old 08-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #60
TT
Regular User

now that there is a proper topic with custom shot and all