Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 05-22-2005, 08:55 PM   #76
RC45
Regular User

So now that the honeymoon is over... a more grounded review of GTR.

First off - that StarForce or whatever CD checker is reported as a virus by Mcaffee and Norton.. and it is a pain in the arse to have to put that CD in every time one wants to play - and if the game was not this good I would have ditched it just because of the CD.

Second - crashes to desktop every now and again can get rather frustrating since the game takes a while to load up and get through all the freaking advert video-clips. (I know I can click past them - but that means I have to stand guard over the mouse.. )

Third - random Frame Per Second slow downs and glitches during game play are also a pain.

And again, if it wasn't for how well this game is - these issues would have had me tossing it yesterday already.

There are many games that I have thrown out because they are a chore to run.

BTW the above issues are even without the unofficial add-on tracks and cars - and with the patch/update.

OK - onto the game itself - anyone who can't master driving the cars with a wheel and pedals is and old granny driver who goes to the village in their auto shift Geo Metro and shouldn't even be on JW

The cars are difficult to drive - because they are difficult cars to drive.

Now that I have mastered the BMW M3 and am able to finish in the top 3 in the NGT class on a number of tracks, I enjoy even more the fact that if I choose a ferreri 575 GTC I can expect it to kick my arse if I try pitch it into a turn like an M3... --- because that is what would happen.

The real enjoyment of the game is when you are in 12th place fighting to pass a GT3-RS and keep the M3 behind you from passing as you hurtle towards the chicane on the backside of Donington - when all of a sudden BRAAAAAAWWHHHHWWWWWPPP --- BUBUB --- BRWAAAAAP -- BUBUB --- BRWAAAAP a 575 GTC and 2 Lambo's muscle their way up the inside late braking all 3 slower cars as you realise your "race pace" is their warmup pace.

This game does an excellent job of portraying this.

It also helps that I have a 60"TV and surround sound rumbling the whole living room This weekend, EVERYONE in the house had to endure a mini GT series...

I forgot how good the F1 and SCGT based PC sims can be.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote