Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 11-01-2003, 09:00 AM   #1
stradale
Regular User

Default V8 cheapest Aston Martin ever

From evo.co.uk

V8 Set To Be The Cheapest Aston Ever

Buying a new Aston Martin has never cost so little! According to sources inside the company, the new entry-level Aston, which is to be called the V8 Vantage, will start with a price tag of £60,000.

However, bosses have decided the 'budget' car, which is aimed at stealing sales away from the likes of the Porsche 911, won't come with much in the way of standard kit. Customers who want the luxury of a full leather interior, bigger wheels or even a decent amount of power under the bonnet are going to have to pay extra on the options list for the privilege.

Previously, it had been thought the baby Aston would come with a £75,000 price tag and have a version of Jaguar's 4.2-litre V8 engine with either 320bhp or 400bhp under its bonnet. But because of the need for a lower price, the cheapest V8 Vantages are now thought to be getting a 3.5-litre engine taken from the XJ which has 'only' 265bhp. This would then leave room for a more powerful version that buyers would be able to upgrade to. Production is expected to start next year, although our sources tell us that the planned convertible version could be canned. This is because Aston thinks it may steal sales from the rag-top variant of the forthcoming DB9.

The entrance level V8 may be down on power, but it's still a stunning car for the same money as a 911. Let's hope the handling is as great as its looks.
stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 09:37 AM   #2
jon_s
Regular User

I have to admit that I love the styling of it....I know Jabba will have a problem with it being an Aston and all.....but I like it. And for 60k, you can't go wrong, however, if I was to get one, I would put the most powerful engine in it!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
stracing
Regular User

i like astons for their look and sports looking on the street. but i know i won't use it for track use.
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:56 AM   #4
Jabba
Regular User

They are getting better looking (more of an up to date younger look to them)
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:59 AM   #5
Wide
Regular User

i like astons for their look and sports looking on the street.
Agree... It looks awesome either all the Astons.. Engine is powerful..
Anyway I prefer Vanquish.. But it costs twice as this one..
Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 12:12 PM   #6
BADMIHAI
Regular User

It looks stunning....*It's an Aston, dumbass, of course it's stunning

It does look fucking sweet! Altough with 260 hp it might be a little "underpowered".
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 01:06 PM   #7
themailman34
Regular User

That car looks amazing!!!! Kinda looks like the top of the line Vanquish.
themailman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 03:02 PM   #8
AlienDB7
Regular User

The prototype looked a little bit better, but for that price, it's still a very stunning looking car. I agree, having only 265hp is a bit low but it's intended to be a GT car anyway.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 03:26 PM   #9
Johns
Regular User

265hp is weak these days, cars are now avging 300hp+ and as the years go by cars will increase power like a maniac. people like me and probly everyone here live on power trips!
Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:08 PM   #10
Fleischmann
Regular User

Well the car looks stunning...and the 265bhp isn't going to make it slow.
Fleischmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:24 PM   #11
crasherror
Regular User

Wow i am inpressed by AM. They now have a new direction now that ford owns them.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:38 PM   #12
Supernintendo Chalme
Regular User

60 000 pounds?! How much does a Jaguar XK8 cost in the UK? If it's anywhere near the same price wouldn't anyone rather have the Aston, even if it's slower? It's not like people by XK8s because they're so fast, they buy them because they're so pretty and you look cool driving them. If it were me, I'd take an Aston over a similarly priced Jag any day of the week, even if it were slower.
Supernintendo Chalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:07 PM   #13
Ivanhoe
Regular User

ummm..err... I just don't like Astons, sorry... They're like Ferraris cept they don't go fast. I'd take a turbo over a vanquish anyday. As for this Aston, the look are O.K. imo nothing special. It will just be crushed by the 997 turbo. I doubt it could even keep up w/ the 996 turbo.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:13 PM   #14
hemi_fan
Regular User

I thought they banned the V8s because they were too environmentally harmful or something like that. Thats why they stopped the V8s in astons in the first place. Or I could be wrong, but I somehow remember that from a 5th/top gear vid.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 09:54 AM   #15
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ivanhoe
ummm..err... I just don't like Astons, sorry... They're like Ferraris cept they don't go fast. I'd take a turbo over a vanquish anyday. As for this Aston, the look are O.K. imo nothing special. It will just be crushed by the 997 turbo. I doubt it could even keep up w/ the 996 turbo.
The AMV8 is not going to compete with the 911 turbo, but with the C2 and C4. I think Aston Martins are plenty fast BTW.

To hemi_fan: you're speaking of the video with Tiff Needell and the V8 Vantage Le Mans I think. The V8 engine of that car didn't meet emission regulations anymore and had to be cancelled. The V8 in this car is a different engine.
stradale is offline   Reply With Quote