Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 04-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #16
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Put the Gallardo and Z06 on the Nurburgring with Hans Stuck or Rohrl at the wheel and the Z06 will blow the doors of the Gallardo.
You can't prove that
7:42.9 NS time; blowing the doors off the Gallardo/Murcielago/SLR/Zonda S/M3CSL/911 GT3 RS (By .1 seconds with WR at the wheel)...
and doing it with GYSC F1 runflats! (not Pilot sports, or Corsa Rossa's, or other really agressive compounds)
Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
The Gallardo is also much easier to drive than a Z06...
That is a virtue of the car
you can't prove that
Old 04-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #17
Bernardo
Regular User

ppl seems to just dont admit that something from their country its worst than something made by others, and that they are better in every aspect.
Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 PM   #18
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
7:42.9 NS time; blowing the doors off the Gallardo/Murcielago/SLR/Zonda S/M3CSL/911 GT3 RS (By .1 seconds with WR at the wheel)...
and doing it with GYSC F1 runflats! (not Pilot sports, or Corsa Rossa's, or other really agressive compounds)
They also said that the standard Corvette could lap the Nurburgring under 8 minutes and look what happened when Sport Auto tested it....

you can't prove that
It's obvious that the Gallardo is easier to drive. All the tests I have read say that the Corvette has an uncommunicative chassis and that it can react badly at the limit. Anyway I don't understand those who say that the problem is the driver....the Ascari is a very powerful mid engine rwd car, with manual transmision and it is also faster than the Corvette.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:42 PM   #19
JoeHahn
Regular User

Two quotes from the article about the Z06

"...this almost-new car had a mere 300 miles on the clock"

"With the headup display showing 180mph, yet still not even close to full throttle in fifth gear, the 'Vette feels like its a pebble skimming across the concrete surface. I call it a day. Sadly, the VBOX isnt as optimistic as the Corvette's speedo, showing our true maximum to be a wimpish but really rather terrifying 170.9mph".

Maybe we should get Jan Magnussen to test all the cars in the field and make everyone happy :roll:
Old 04-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #20
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by JoeHahn

Ohh, I tought it was a unit that had been tested by all the journalist in the world, now we have a new excuse
Old 04-19-2006, 07:54 PM   #21
nthfinity
Regular User

They also said that the standard Corvette could lap the Nurburgring under 8 minutes and look what happened when Sport Auto tested it....

you can't prove that
It's obvious that the Gallardo is easier to drive. All the tests I have read say that the Corvette has an uncommunicative chassis and that it can react badly at the limit. Anyway I don't understand those who say that the problem is the driver....the Ascari is a very powerful mid engine rwd car, with manual transmision and it is also faster than the Corvette.
just the fact that you are comparing the uber expensive 500 hp Ascari vs. a blue collar Corvette that is the fact; and the goal. nuf' said.

mid-ship cars that weigh less; and have as much/more power ought to be able to handle better... some do; others aren't up to snuff.

a lot of people have mis-quoted a lot about the vette....
the C5 Z06 lapped NS in 7:56; at a later time, Dave hill said that the C6 was largely based on the C5 Z... and somewhere, somebody took that out of context and suggested the C6 could lap NS in 7:56
wasn't it 8:15? not bad for the standard poofta car

I'm sure we'll have the first info about the Supertest of the Z06 in the coming months

what is funny to me is that so many of the guys i argue against the F1 being crap; say its a good thing for the F1, but a bad thing for the Corvette... dubble standard, or is it that you want a twitchy, torquey, handful to drive only when you spend a milllion bucks?

i'd say you can't have it both ways... the same argument can almost be said for me... but since the Z06 only cost $70,000 i would accept that witchiness; handful... but definately not when i'm spending $1,000,000 on a road car!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #22
gangajas
Regular User

just the fact that you are comparing the uber expensive 500 hp Ascari vs. a blue collar Corvette that is the fact; and the goal. nuf' said.

mid-ship cars that weigh less; and have as much/more power ought to be able to handle better... some do; others aren't up to snuff.
No, no, no..some say that evo's tester is not good enough to drive the Corvette...if he can handle a mid engine rwd supercar...Why cannot he handle the Z06??

what is funny to me is that so many of the guys i argue against the F1 being crap; say its a good thing for the F1, but a bad thing for the Corvette... dubble standard, or is it that you want a twitchy, torquey, handful to drive only when you spend a milllion bucks?

i'd say you can't have it both ways... the same argument can almost be said for me... but since the Z06 only cost $70,000 i would accept that witchiness; handful... but definately not when i'm spending $1,000,000 on a road car!
I have never talked about the Macca here....
Old 04-19-2006, 09:05 PM   #23
RC45
Regular User

"With the headup display showing 180mph, yet still not even close to full throttle in fifth gear, the 'Vette feels like its a pebble skimming across the concrete surface. I call it a day. Sadly, the VBOX isnt as optimistic as the Corvette's speedo, showing our true maximum to be a wimpish but really rather terrifying 170.9mph".

Maybe we should get Jan Magnussen to test all the cars in the field and make everyone happy :roll:
Well - now we find out the car is not even broken in yet... brakes are probably not bedded in, transmission has barely loosened up - etc etc...

And lets see these liars post the RPM of their "170mph" run - and instead of bothering with the HUD.... what did the they not simply obsertve what the analog speedo read??

I am guessing the eurocrats are done with the C6 Z now and will go out of their way to fuck it over in every test they get hold of now.

The euro manufacturers would have been calling the mags and letting them know where their advertising dollars come from.

Without an RPM number posted how can anyone take a speed reading seriously.???

And that's funny... "a pebble skipping across a pond".... what uttter bullshit...

I have had my car at redline in 5th a number of times and it is qyuite stable predictable and very well mannered at 173mph... the newer better aero car will no doubt be better behaved.

Such bias comments are why even as a South African I had a strong dislike for the anti-everything not european bias we used to get from european tourists.

It is again so blatant it is not even worth discussing.

"It's not european so it must suck"
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:13 PM   #24
JoeHahn
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

Well - now we find out the car is not even broken in yet... brakes are probably not bedded in, transmission has barely loosened up - etc etc...

And lets see these liars post the RPM of their "170mph" run - and instead of bothering with the HUD.... what did the they not simply obsertve what the analog speedo read??

I am guessing the eurocrats are done with the C6 Z now and will go out of their way to fuck it over in every test they get hold of now.

The euro manufacturers would have been calling the mags and letting them know where their advertising dollars come from.

And that's funny... "a pebble skipping across a pond".... what uttter bullshit...

I have had my car at redline in 5th a number of times and it is qyuite stable predictable and very well mannered at 173mph... the newer better aero car will no doubt be better behaved.

Such bias comments are why even as a South African I had a strong dislike for the anti-everything not european bias we used to get from european tourists.

You obviously havent seen/experienced the MIRA ring then. Considering one of the journalists said that taking the 997S to 170mph is the scariest thing he's done bar none makes the Corvette seem civil. What do you want? you complain about a beaten up car, then find it hasnt been broken in. I bet you more than 70% of the cars tested hadnt been broken in properly, like 90% of other car mags do. You cant tell me a British mag will hail a Gallardo made by a German manufacturer and beat down on an American car. They portrayed the car correctly, praised it for its 'outstanding' brakes and 'serious cornering grip' while achieving the highest G rating of any of the road cars.

Kinda the same way that Sport Auto took the Corvette around the Hockenheim ring and posted a ridiculously fast lap - faster than 90% of the European cars. You must read European Magazines in a funny way because all I see is praise being heaped on this car - but all you see is "It didnt beat some european car - too much bias".
Old 04-19-2006, 10:17 PM   #25
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RAMMIUS
Man Rc you`re so predictable

You`re like a fanboy , when you`re precious vette loses , excuses , excuses , excuses :

Lame driver + shitty weather+press car so, worn out :roflmao:

Advice : face the facts

Well then RC has to slow the red pill and admit that every other car faces teh same issue

Lame driver +shitty ewather +press car +worn out

Ya'll are beyound funny.

Ya'll fucking hillarious.

Because in order to exploit a cars full potential you need to spend a ton of time with it and spend a ton of time preping it.

Each car has it own strengths and weaknesses.

Just as a random fact:

When I practice for my GTL league races I spend my times from the first practice to qualifying drop by 5 seconds on average.

Sometimes I spent 3 hours with the car 3 seconds off pace. Guess what? Its not because the car is slow, its because I was slightly off braking for the esses and I took a wrong approach into turn 3. But then I discovered the faster line and hey I broke the world record for Magny Course in the Alfa GTA

Each car due to its weaknesses will use a slightly different racing line in order to use what the chassis offers to the best extent.

So when these magazine reviews come in with lap times I simply dont care for what they have to say.

Because the times they set are fully driver dependent, not car. Its what car the driver feels better in, rather then what car has the potential to be the fastest at a given track.

In order to get a true max performance figure you would need to spend a whole day at the track, litteraly, minimum of 6 hours of lapping the same track, and watching others do the same, trying to find the best line, put the power down right and get the braking points right.

Any cars that weight around the same, ride on similar rubber and share rougly the same power will be neck to neck and that is the bottom line. It will be more of a "which car for which track" than anything else.

So its a car that you like that suits you, that is affordible to you that matters.

911, F430, Z06, Gallardo are all in the same boat, in the same field, and all should when driven to their maximum lap with no more then a maximum of 1 second separating the grid.

There are way to many factors that go into a top lap around a track. From the direction of the wind, to the track temperature, to the state of your rubber, to the shit in the air, to the time of the day, and more then 80% is all driver.

You put a decent driver in an F430 and a great driver in the 360 and the guy in the 360 will kick the decent drivers ass each time.

I dont care if its Micheal Schumaher driving cars for Evo. I dont care who it is. Because no mater what calibre of a driver you are, you need to spend a lot, a lot of time with any car in order to drive it on its mechanical limit, not the limit of the drivers skills.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:41 PM   #26
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

You obviously havent seen/experienced the MIRA ring then. Considering one of the journalists said that taking the 997S to 170mph is the scariest thing he's done bar none makes the Corvette seem civil. What do you want? you complain about a beaten up car, then find it hasnt been broken in. I bet you more than 70% of the cars tested hadnt been broken in properly, like 90% of other car mags do. You cant tell me a British mag will hail a Gallardo made by a German manufacturer and beat down on an American car. They portrayed the car correctly, praised it for its 'outstanding' brakes and 'serious cornering grip' while achieving the highest G rating of any of the road cars.

Kinda the same way that Sport Auto took the Corvette around the Hockenheim ring and posted a ridiculously fast lap - faster than 90% of the European cars. You must read European Magazines in a funny way because all I see is praise being heaped on this car - but all you see is "It didnt beat some european car - too much bias".
Sure.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:12 PM   #27
coloradosilver
Regular User

This discussion is kinda weird.

I think it can be conceided by most that the new Z06 is by no means the best car ever made. It's not the fastest, it won't post the quickest time ever around a track, it's not the most well built or prettiest, and it is quite basic in it's mechanics and amenities.

However, for what it is, what it's capable of, and the price that it costs, it is very difficult to pin another car against it that can do so much for so little. THe cars that are similar in performance cost double the price at minimum and even then the differences (in performance) mainly come down to the driver, not the car.

For what the new Z06 is, what its capable of, and what it costs to own, this is one of the best cars ever created in my book.

Lets also not forget that if a Z06 owner wanted to put about 8,000 USD into performance mods, this car would be in CGT performance territory and still cost considerably less than the nearest competator.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:20 PM   #28
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by coloradosilver

I think it can be conceided by most that the new Z06 is by no means the best car ever made. It's not the fastest, it won't post the quickest time ever around a track, it's not the most well built or prettiest, and it is quite basic in it's mechanics and amenities.

However, for what it is, what it's capable of, and the price that it costs, it is very difficult to pin another car against it that can do so much for so little. THe cars that are similar in performance cost double the price at minimum and even then the differences (in performance) mainly come down to the driver, not the car.

For what the new Z06 is, what its capable of, and what it costs to own, this is one of the best cars ever created in my book.

Lets also not forget that if a Z06 owner wanted to put about 8,000 USD into performance mods, this car would be in CGT performance territory and still cost considerably less than the nearest competator.
I agree

but lets not get into "8000$ in mods and its CGT territory"

put a turbo in a F430 and you'll get 650bhp aswel

Put a turbo in a CGT and heck knows what happens then....
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:36 AM   #29
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX

I agree

but lets not get into "8000$ in mods and its CGT territory"

put a turbo in a F430 and you'll get 650bhp aswel

Put a turbo in a CGT and heck knows what happens then....
Ture, but doing these mods to an F430 or CGT would cost considerably more than the Z06.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:44 AM   #30
ZfrkS62
Regular User

>can't believe this is coming off my keyboard<

yet despite the simple mechanical amenities, the Z06 will more than hold it's own against any competitor. This has been proven in ALMS where the Corvette teams have been trouncing their "competition".

yet despite these amenities, the Z06 has still managed to out sell anything in it's price range.

It's the best HP per buck, and HP per weight.

And if you really want to get into the mods category, give me 5K and i'll make you an engine that will have Formula 1 spec slicks cowering in fear

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote