Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 10-27-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
evoWalo
Regular User

Default gpedit.msc is disabled

I recently found out about the wonderfulness of gpedit.msc to limit people's ability to screw with the PC but inadvertently restricted ALL programs from running including the programs I specified to run.

I tried running (Start>Run>gpedit.msc) gpedit.msc again and get ""This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."" as an error message\

Using an XP Pro SP1 machine. Upgrading to SP2 may pose a problem as I do not have an external USB optical drive
Old 10-28-2006, 01:10 AM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Ah - the joys of amatuers trying to act like pros..

I almost don't want to tell you the easy way to save yourself... it is so easy you will kick yourself..

oh - and its not "gpedit.msc" thats doin the restriciotns.. gpedit is a mechanism to edit group policies.. which are the component effecting the restricitons
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:28 AM   #3
Sir_GT
Regular User

Fire away RC. I'm curious how this works as well, as I may need to learn this soon too.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:36 AM   #4
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Ah - the joys of amatuers trying to act like pros..

I almost don't want to tell you the easy way to save yourself... it is so easy you will kick yourself..

oh - and its not "gpedit.msc" thats doin the restriciotns.. gpedit is a mechanism to edit group policies.. which are the component effecting the restricitons
dont worry your little head RC no one's asking you.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ellen feiss
dont worry your little head RC no one's asking you.
evidentally you are still locked out of your own PC..

Sir_GeeTee - you should be able to disable the restrictions place on the user environment and the PC by the group policies but deleting the actual policy data files in %ystemroot%\system32\GroupPolicy\User and ..\Machine as well as ...\GroupPolicy\gpt.ini

...but while this will remove the policy files that apply the actual settigns to the users registry hive that in turn apply the restricitons, it won't infact change the values in the registry back to the unresticted ones - but this is still helpful, as I am sure, as any good admin ellen and others have a second admin account that they would have reserved for such cases where they are then able to logon using this other account and then delete the C:\Documents and Settings\[screwed user]\ntuser.dat (the on disk stored HKCU registry keys and values) of the original restricted account.

...but ellen there already knew this i am sure ;P

p.s. hopefully the above explaination is confusing enough to cause at least 7 people to render their PC's DOA as they try these tricks out..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
Sir_GT
Regular User

rofl