Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Japanese Cars

Japanese Cars Japanese car discussion

Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 AM   #16
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Well, the problem I would have, is if you bought a 480bhp GT-R and got 520, and I bought a 480bhp GT-R and only got 490bhp.
A standard should be a standard right?
Absolutely! You are dead right.
To date, there is no inconsistencythough. There is a standard however of producing engines that are producing a marginally (+/-10%) higher output than specified on paper. Which means, that the car produces more power than stated, but not to the detriment of the consumer.

Hate on the car for all the other reasons; The tyres, the tests, the fact that every journalist on the planet is an uber-fanboy, its playstation roots, the bloated weight, the fact that some people believe it was produced purely to aggravate Americans.. But not at the fact the engine produces more power than specified!! To do so, would be a grave misuse of backward thinking and logic.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 AM   #17
RC45
Regular User

But I dont believe every car is going to have this "abundance" of power - as there is no reason for it, the advertised power is 480bhp

And the number being bandied about so far are almost 500awhp - that equates to closer to 600bhp than 500bhp.

All this is what puts a cloud on the car - but that doesnt change the fact I cant wait to meet one on the freeway

Lets see how the PS3 controlled whale handles 3100lbs and no electronic aids at all
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #18
HeilSvenska
Regular User

One thing I thought of was the US spec actually getting 480hp at the engine for some reason (EPA or something) but sharing the same glory as the 520hp version. That'd be disgusting. We'll see.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:52 AM   #19
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
Abolutely agree with you, that specified performance should be accurate.
I would be majorly pissed off however, if my new sportscar came in under the benchmark by which I thought it met. I would have been cheated.
But, if said new sportscar actually performs better, I'm not sure it gives the same grounds to feel cheated!

I don't agree with you that it's wrong of Nissan to understate their performance however, or that it "creates an illusion of being so much better than it is". That's just not possible by under-stating your product!

(And they were intended to be fighting words... And was gross tongue in cheek comment. I mentioned in another post that if anyone knew of decent RHD conversion shops, that I would actually consider buying the new vette and importing it downunder! - Comment was directed toward RC for his well known Vette support.)
Low horsepower figures our what the various Japanese automakers used to do. Nissan has found a new way to deceive people. By claiming it runs the times it does with only 480 horsepower, it implies that the electronic wizardy in the car is nothing short of miraculous, which is just what Nissan would like us to think. There's no techno-cred to just going fast with light weight and power; otherwise the Vette wouldn't be such a target. It should be plain that when the horsepower figure is off by more than 8%, deception has occurred. I'm sure the Nissan powertrain engineers aren't so lousy that they can't get a decent estimate.

The last gen Viper was also, technically underrated. I believe that it would have been allowed to advertise a few more hp under the modern SAE standards. However, a 1% change hardly compares to that of more than 8%.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:06 AM   #20
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

Wow, I got to reading a quarter of the way down, spotted the usual crap about porsche v nissan v vette and just exited out.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:36 AM   #21
styla21
Regular User

Toffytofik, the first video is fantastic!! Very creative.. Thankyou for posting.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #22
toffytofik
Regular User

^
Glad that at least someone enjoyed it! 8)
I'm also glad the GTR lives up to it's heritage and finally debuted on the world arena!

From the PGC/KPGC10 back in the 1969 - 1972...

Up to the R35 as we know it today!

2009 will be the 40 anniversary year for the GTR badge!

The legend is alive!
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #23
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ferrarif1fan89 View Post
Wow, I got to reading a quarter of the way down, spotted the usual crap about porsche v nissan v vette and just exited out.
Good - because that meant you had zero to contribute to the discussion... because if you would have bothered reading you would have seen you were the first person to mention anything about vs Vettes.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #24
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Good - because that meant you had zero to contribute to the discussion... because if you would have bothered reading you would have seen you were the first person to mention anything about vs Vettes.
I digress, I posted the letters Z followed by 0 and a 6 after that.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #25
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
I digress, I posted the letters Z followed by 0 and a 6 after that.
But it was not as vs Z06