Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

View Poll Results: What kind of control do you use in PS2+GT4??
Steering Wheel 10 38.46%
Analogic Joysticks 6 23.08%
Normal direction buttons + Square, Triangle, Ball and X 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2005, 11:31 PM   #16
STiInYourEye
Regular User

I set the controller up to use R2 as the gas and L2 as the break. You get more analog control than with the X and square setup, and it is not nearly as awkward as using the sticks. That being said, I am planning to ditch the controller altogether when I work up the scratch to get the wheel!
STiInYourEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 01:35 AM   #17
tigerx
Regular User

i use the right stick to control Gas only, buttons to steer, R1 to brake, L1 for nitrous, everything else is default. work awesomely FOR ME THAT IS.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:07 PM   #18
callen
Regular User

I have a Madcatz wheel I bought 1.5 years ago for Gt3, it took some time getting used to it, and knowing you cant toss the car into the corner and 'catch and release" for drifting like Tiff does, I would just unsettle the balance of the car and put it in the gravel. Once i learned to minimize steering input to just what was needed, I became seriously good at it. I just got my wheel up to school (from parents house) last weekend, and what a difference it made!!! I didnt check times, but i was in the M3 CSL and using every single inch of the track, perfect braking, heal and toeing, and without a doubt a few seconds a minute faster than I was with the analog sticks. I no longer scrub off speed by poor cornering, and am driving like a real racing pro!!! I hope to buy a GT4 wheel or even *gasp!* Ferrari Thrustmaster wheel one day soon, but for now, this wheel works wonders and I love it. Plus the faux carbon fibre on the wheel and shifter knob is hilarious! $60 CAN very very well spent IMO.
edit: Regarding this specific wheel, there is of course no force feedback(come on guys its only $60 bucks hehe) and it is a little loose steering at dead centre (read: I can move the wheel 1 cm or two without any steering input translating into the game(even on the most sensitive setting on the wheel programs) but its pretty damn good and is 100X better than the controller.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:09 AM   #19
oantob
Regular User

I always used the dualshock II controler but not using the analog stick, I'm more familiar to "X" and "" and you can decide how much accelerator or brake that you could apply to car...but the downside is your finger get tired pushing those buttons and losing speed...
Old 03-20-2005, 02:12 AM   #20
tigerx
Regular User

I always used the dualshock II controler but not using the analog stick, I'm more familiar to "X" and "" and you can decide how much accelerator or brake that you could apply to car...but the downside is your finger get tired pushing those buttons and losing speed...
you can do that too, but BETTER with teh stick, since you can move it up and down more "carefully" then pressing a darn button.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:27 AM   #21
oantob
Regular User

Originally Posted by tigerx
you can do that too, but BETTER with teh stick, since you can move it up and down more "carefully" then pressing a darn button.
thats true, but you should know...you can't press accelerator and brake together if using the stick
Old 03-20-2005, 01:23 PM   #22
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by STiInYourEye
I set the controller up to use R2 as the gas and L2 as the break. You get more analog control than with the X and square setup, and it is not nearly as awkward as using the sticks. That being said, I am planning to ditch the controller altogether when I work up the scratch to get the wheel!
WHOA! Thats a very strange layout!

Originally Posted by oantob
IF you dont like the anlog for the accleration use the Dual Shock 1 controller since it does NOT have those pressure sensitive controls your finger wil never get tired!

Originally Posted by oantob
Originally Posted by tigerx
thats true, but you should know...you can't press accelerator and brake together if using the stick
You can if you make the brake "R1" or something.