Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

View Poll Results: What kind of control do you use in PS2+GT4??
Steering Wheel 10 38.46%
Analogic Joysticks 6 23.08%
Normal direction buttons + Square, Triangle, Ball and X 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
cooperluke
Regular User

Default Controller for PS2 - GT4

Hi, I've recently bought my PS2+GT4 and I'm still starting the game.

I don't have the steering wheel (yet) so I have two options for controlling the car.
Or I use the "X" for throtle, the "square" for brake and so on... or I use the two "gameshocks", I think this is the name.. the two analogic joysticks to handle the car.

The problem is that I find much harder to control the car using the analog joysticks...

You, that have more experience, tell me what kind of control you use. I think the analogic has more control potential but is harder to learn. But, is it worth my time?? Or should I use the "normal" controls only??

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
cooperluke
Regular User

So?? I would really like to hear some advice from the Pros in the Gran Turismo series...

Old 03-17-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
TransAm
Regular User

Hardly a pro but up until late 2003 I used the Dualshock (DS) and the X button / square button for GT3. A friend then showed me you can use the right analogue stick for brakes / throttle, and after a bit of getting used to it I found I had much more control, and rally stages became a giggle. Towards the end of last year I bought the GT4 wheel (DFP) and initially I was rubbish at it, I was so used to the analogue sticks on the DS controller, and I never really played GT3 very much using the DFP.

When GT4 came out I forced myself to use the steering wheel and get used to it. I think I am probably better with the DFP than I ever was with the controller, but I still think I'm am rubbish at the game compared to most people posting on here. I still can't drift, for some reason I found drifting a lot easier on GT1 and 2than on the newer incarnations of the game.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
mindgam3
Regular User

I use analogue direction and X and square.

Really should get used to using analogue acceleration/brake though.

Had a wheel for GT1 and GT2 but broke. Will probably getting a wheel fairly soon though.
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
TransAm
Regular User

mindgam3, trust me, it feels so much better using the RH analogue. It won't take you long to get used to it.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
abcdefghijk

we have a gt4 forum now

as for controller I'm voting for a wheel.. the driving force pro works really well in GT4
Old 03-17-2005, 02:34 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

I am surprised that auto enthusiasts would not first go for the wheel, then as a last resort use the joystick.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
cooperluke
Regular User

RC45.. I'd go for the wheel!! If I had one..
Can't buy everything in a sudden... lol

Oh and about the shutter sound, I think there are from A to S shutter sounds. A,B,C, and do on, until S. It's on the options.

Old 03-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #9
Pimp Racer
Regular User

I believe it or not use the Analogic Joysticks because my parents think games are for kids and shit and that I should "grow up" Its still kinda fun with the Joy Sticks.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pimp Racer
I believe it or not use the Analogic Joysticks because my parents think I games are for kids and shit and that I should "grow up" Its still kinda fun with the Joy Sticks.
Ask them if they'd rather have you out on the streets stealing cars or smoking crack

Old 03-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #11
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by TransAm2001
I believe it or not use the Analogic Joysticks because my parents think I games are for kids and shit and that I should "grow up" Its still kinda fun with the Joy Sticks.
Ask them if they'd rather have you out on the streets stealing cars or smoking crack
I think then they might respond by saying get the funk outta the house. They are strict but also kinda cool sometimes. I get anything I want as long as it has nothing to do with games and shit. I had to kinda beg to get this PS2. I told them it was a DVD player. They bought it.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:07 PM   #12
TransAm
Regular User

I think then they might respond by saying get the funk outta the house. They are strict but also kinda cool sometimes. I get anything I want as long as it has nothing to do with games and shit. I had to kinda beg to get this PS2. I told them it was a DVD player. They bought it.
Every credit to you for the DVD player blag, Pimpracer. Parents are parents, I guess. I had my mother on the phone earlier telling me she was horrified that I'd bought a motorcycle and hadn't I grown out of all that yet lol :roll:

Sorry for O/T, cooperluke...

Old 03-17-2005, 06:18 PM   #13
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Every credit to you for the DVD player blag, Pimpracer. Parents are parents, I guess. I had my mother on the phone earlier telling me she was horrified that I'd bought a motorcycle and hadn't I grown out of all that yet lol :roll:

Sorry for O/T, cooperluke...

Sorry for getting off topic guys. And to stay on topic -

The advantages the Anlog has over the buttons -

The Anlog controller is better since you can actually decide how much gas or brake you want to apply while on the buttons even though they are pressure sensitive it will be very hard for you to get the exact amount of gas or brake you want to apply. So I suggest that to anyone who uses the buttons to try and learn with the anlog because in turn you will be setting faster laps by 1 - 2 seconds in my case!

Also they are very useful on the tests! I will post a screen shot of my Anlog Controller that I use for just about every game even though I have like 4 controllers I cant let this one go. It is alll torn up and everything.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #14
cooperluke
Regular User

I believe it or not use the Analogic Joysticks because my parents think games are for kids and shit and that I should "grow up" Its still kinda fun with the Joy Sticks.
And what's the problem?? You're 15 years old.. not a grown man like some of the GT4 addicts over here... eheh

I'm 25 years old, and I love a good racing game.

And BTW.. I've been practising the Dualshocks and I finally got used to them!! And I'm making faster laps!

Until I don't buy the steering wheel, they'll have to do!

P.S.- I also told my mom and dad I had bought a DVD Player... eheh

Old 03-18-2005, 09:47 PM   #15
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by cooperluke
And what's the problem?? You're 15 years old.. not a grown man like some of the GT4 addicts over here... eheh

I'm 25 years old, and I love a good racing game.

And BTW.. I've been practising the Dualshocks and I finally got used to them!! And I'm making faster laps!

Until I don't buy the steering wheel, they'll have to do!

P.S.- I also told my mom and dad I had bought a DVD Player... eheh
Yeah but they think games are for kids ages 3-10. :roll:

It is very hard to get all golds with the Dual Shock controller!

wow looks like I am not the only one that used this DVD "trick"