Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-18-2003, 09:39 AM   #1
ported_head
Regular User

Default Driving tests?

just curious about driving tests in other countries. because for some reason.when i took mine last year...i had the feeling it was way too easy. let me tell you why i thought so.... i waited 3 hours in the sun..in an open ground with no shade..waiting for my turn to take the test. the driving test track, if i may call it so, was a semi-mud semi-gravel track which is cool if it was a rally driving school run by somebody like simo lampinen. getting back....after all the waiting was over, which was of course after about 200 people got their licenses in the same day, it was too tiring a day..and the driving inspector decided to sit in his office and watch me take the test instead. the test mind you was nothing more then a large radius circle, driving a car which made about 50 bhp at the wheels, and the clutch and the gearshift refused to work at the same time. at the end... when i had to meet the inspector..guess what...his office had no windows. but voila, i did get my license. and mind you i am a very safe driver.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:09 AM   #2
levensnevel
Regular User

Well Ported_Head,

drive very carefully than
Suppose that it varies from country 2 country and from region 2 region.
Funny thing is that here in Western Europe on one hand all new mainstream cars are flooded with all kind of gadgets to ensure safe driving. So the real driving experience disappears completely :cry: Whereas on the other hand the terms which must be met to obtain your "permis de conduire" become more difficult at the same time :shock:

Niets of niemand zegt dat het echt moet
En toch, of juist daarom,wil je het beleven....

Weblog
levensnevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:28 AM   #3
asthenia
Regular User

ported_head: Was it a Hindustan that you did the test in? Those things look like someone built them as a joke.

I did my driving test in a special simulated environment, a land of make believe where they try to trick you with dangerous situations. They hire pedestrians to walk around randomly. Lights always turn red as you approach them. You parallel park between road cones, and the fake railroad tracks end five feet off each side of the road.

It goes to show why so many drivers in Canada shouldn't be licensed. In fact, I just watched a minor accident outside my window as I type this.....
asthenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:36 AM   #4
Sam P
Regular User

asthenia,

What part of Canada are you in?!?!

In Vancouver, BC we have the road tests in traffic. Liscensing here is very, very strict.

ported,

I'm not surprised. A good friend of mine spends lots of time in India and tells me that driving there is largely a free-for-all. He says there is only 1 rule - don't hit anything or anybody.
Sam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 02:59 AM   #5
oldsnail
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sam P
asthenia,

What part of Canada are you in?!?!

In Vancouver, BC we have the road tests in traffic. Liscensing here is very, very strict.

ported,

I'm not surprised. A good friend of mine spends lots of time in India and tells me that driving there is largely a free-for-all. He says there is only 1 rule - don't hit anything or anybody.
in vancouver, there are also a few test one must take before getting there official license. an average person takes around 3 years or so to get a complete license in the province of BC
Old 12-19-2003, 10:50 AM   #6
oscargarza88
Regular User

In some parfts in mexico u can start driving at 15 but whith some restrictions and t have that licence u have to take like a course in a vw bug that has brakes on the driver and co pilot and also 2 stering wheels, its 2 weeks and its pretty easy u just drive around the city,part from that its all pretty easy.
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:39 PM   #7
godspeed06
Regular User

i got a permit at 15 and could drive with one of my parents, then at 16 i went to get my license test. i drove around the block once in my own car and did nothing but right hand turns. extremely easy. we also had to pass a written test on rule of the road and such.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:12 PM   #8
ferrari550
Regular User

my driving test was also very easy, i took me like 5 minutes to do. the instructor i had was meeting friends at tim hortons so hw wanted to get in done quick. i went down like 2 short roads, did some parking and that was it, very easy.
it should be harder i think
Old 12-19-2003, 02:49 PM   #9
Sam P
Regular User

Yeah, Vancouver has a really crazy attitude towards driver liscensing and motoring in general. We must have the most crazed, most Nazi Gestapo-like traffic cops.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:24 PM   #10
ported_head
Regular User

well, it's a crazy country to live in, but never ceases to amaze me. a few days back, apparently i broke a traffic signal. a traffic signal that wasn't there. this cop comes out of nowhere...stands in the middle of the road and blows his whistle. i could have very well taken him off the road. i get taken into a makeshift cabin, where i could either pay the legal fine of Rs. 100(approx. $ 2) or just pay Rs. 50(approx $ 1) and get away without a ticket or any of teh legal shit. and it's pretty obvious what i did.

and you guys got half your facts right.....you can get away with hitting something or somebody as long as you are an influential son of a bitch... and you have heaps of money.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 10:48 PM   #11
Sam P
Regular User

I hear that enforcement occurs only in the city for political purposes.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:24 PM   #12
oldsnail
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sam P
Yeah, Vancouver has a really crazy attitude towards driver liscensing and motoring in general. We must have the most crazed, most Nazi Gestapo-like traffic cops.
my 79 Rabbit was RIP'ed due to a random Vehicle Inspection by the local police department.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:05 AM   #13
jakaracman
Regular User

I don't know how the process goes in Canada, but here you first have to take theoretical course (10 hours), then theory exam, then drive with an instructor fo at least 20 (ususally 30+) hours, then practical exam. When you're 18 - although now it'll change to 17. Tahes at least 2 months an quite a lot of money to do it (1000 - 2000 EUR).
Old 12-22-2003, 06:33 PM   #14
pimrusis
Regular User

Driving tests in America are way to hard. Should you really fail the test if you run over a few pigeons? Dammit.
pimrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:12 PM   #15
Wutputt
Regular User

In Belgium it goes like this:

First you have to do a theoretical exam.

Then there are 3 choices:
a) You drive 9 months to 1 year with your parents, and they have to learn you how to drive (min age 18)

b) You go to a driving school for a couple of hours and then you have to drive for 6 months to 9 months with your parents to gain driving experience (min age 17yrs and 9 months)

c) You go to a driving school for al lot of hours (expensive) and then you have to drive for 3 months to 6 months alone or with parents (min age 16yrs and 9 months)

And there is a strange rule you may not drive from 10 pm till 6 am in weekends and in holidays while driving with your learning permit.

The practical exam consists of 2 test.
One manoeuvre test (parking in a garage, parking in a parking lane, reversing in a small alley, turning around)
After you passed the manoeuvre test, you have have a test in traffic of about half an hour.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote