Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 12-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
79TA
Regular User

Default A different sort of muscle: Ford Fusion Hybrid - 43 mpg

While I've come to hate conventional hybrids for their lack of innovation, marginal mileage gains, and overly green image despite the inevitable disposal of their nickel hydride batteries, I can't help but like this one a bit. Mostly, it delivers near Prius numbers in a normal sedan body. No special ulta-efficient (ugly) body shape and no utter lack of power (of course the Fusion hybrid will only get the 4 banger.) Add a rear seat that doesn't make your passengers/children etc feel like they're being punished and it's a pretty attractive piece.

http://jalopnik.com/5107064/ford-fus...pnik-road-test

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/09/a...fusion-hybrid/

Quick comparison:

Ford Fusion Hybrid EPA ratings > 39 mpg city/37 mpg highway
Toyota Camry Hybrid EPA ratings = 33 mpg city/34 mpg highway

Ford Fusion Hybrid base MSRP - $27,270
Toyota Camry Hybrid base MSRP - $26,150
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
HeilSvenska
Regular User

How to make the Prius look even uglier #1.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
Mattk
Regular User

The problem is, people who buy hybrids don't want to look like regular folks. They want to stand out from the crowd. That's why the Civic Hybrid didn't take off. It looked exactly like every other Civic. The Prius, on the other hand, looks like nothing else on the road. Ugly it may be, but it is unique and easily identifiable.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:36 AM   #4
79TA
Regular User

Well, I don't have any figures, but I think the Camry hybrid is doing well enough to justify the sedan hybrid idea. Also, the idea of a hybrid isn't as radical as it was to people, so more would consider the option on their sedan.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:45 AM   #5
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
The problem is, people who buy hybrids don't want to look like regular folks. They want to stand out from the crowd. That's why the Civic Hybrid didn't take off. It looked exactly like every other Civic. The Prius, on the other hand, looks like nothing else on the road. Ugly it may be, but it is unique and easily identifiable.
No. There's enough hybrid saturation in this nation enough that lots of people here buy Civic, Camry, and even Altima hybrids. As long as the badge says "hybrid" it'll be fine.

I wonder if this is good enough for Fusion Hybrids to get carpool lane exemption.