Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 07-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Formula 1 KERS gets its first kill! (not really a "kill")

A BMW Sauber mechanic suffered a major electric shock as the team started testing its Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) on the first day of testing at Jerez in Spain.
Test driver Christian Klien was sent out to complete three laps with the KERS device in place before returning to the pits. When Klien’s car returned, mechanics moved towards the car but the first team member to touch the sidepod received an electric shock which saw him fall to the ground in pain.

After being helped to his feet, the mechanic was taken to the medical centre before being released - he suffered minor injuries to his left arm and grazing on his left hand. BMW immediately halted testing for the day.
This isn’t the first KERS-related incident in F1. The local fire department was called to Red Bull’s UK headquarters last week when the team was testing the energy-recovery system that is set to debut in F1 next season.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

So the new F1 cars have electric motors on em already?

Why even bother with the piston engines at all then?

Just give them all golfcarts.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
pitfield
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
So the new F1 cars have electric motors on em already?

Why even bother with the piston engines at all then?

Just give them all golfcarts.
Donut.

It's so that the alternator doesn't sap so much power. The M3 already uses this I beleve.

The brakes tend to be used extensively during races as the cars are forced to negotiate something called a 'corner'.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by pitfield View Post
Donut.
The brakes tend to be used extensively during races as the cars are forced to negotiate something called a 'corner'.
*Grabs popcorn.

..Waits.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
pitfield
Regular User

Funny.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Donut.

It's so that the alternator doesn't sap so much power. The M3 already uses this I beleve.

Well, 1st off, they dont really need to bother its just a procession with the winner determined by starting grid position - the last time F1 was even remotely interesting was when Schumacher drove for Benetton.

Secondly it seems all a little too much complexity to solve a problem already solved... just have an efficient light weight battery to store your energy (whoa what a concept) and an alternator that is clutched - while disenguaged it would be no drag on the engine...

KERS is just complexity for complexity sake.. not unlike using an overhead cam and 2 camshafts and 4 or 5 valves per cylinder, when a light single cam, smaller cylinder head simpler 2 valve design can be just as efficient and cheaper to produce and maintain.

And we established a long time ago on JW/MW that just because you disguise a pricklike answer in humour, doesnt reduce the prickocisty of said comment.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
pitfield
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Well, 1st off, they dont really need to bother its just a procession with the winner determined by starting grid position - the last time F1 was even remotely interesting was when Schumacher drove for Benetton.

Secondly it seems all a little too much complexity to solve a problem already solved... just have an efficient light weight battery to store your energy (whoa what a concept) and an alternator that is clutched - while disenguaged it would be no drag on the engine...

KERS is just complexity for complexity sake.. not unlike using an overhead cam and 2 camshafts and 4 or 5 valves per cylinder, when a light single cam, smaller cylinder head simpler 2 valve design can be just as efficient and cheaper to produce and maintain.

And we established a long time ago on JW/MW that just because you disguise a pricklike answer in humour, doesnt reduce the prickocisty of said comment.
The prickosity of the golfcart comment is rated reasonably highly.

The point of more valves per cylinder, ever heard of V-Tec?

Technology developed in F1 finds it's way onto many road cars.

Don't be a bully.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
silentm
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
*Grabs popcorn.

..Waits.
haha that made my evening
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
Pokiou
Regular User

REWIND DAMNNNNN i missed it all :/
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

The prickosity of the golfcart comment is rated reasonably highly.
No it isn't - I dont think the inanimate Formula 1 sport feels I was being a prick towards it.

The golfcart comment was directed at the sport - your comment was directed at me and was uncalled for.

The point of more valves per cylinder, ever heard of V-Tec?
Yes - I have owned and operated a bigger variety of multivalve machines that you have probably seen in your pompous lifetime.

20 valve 4 cylinder motorcyles from the 80's, 16 valve 4 cylder 250 and 400cc motocycles from the 80's including variable cam phase components.

V-Tec just for the sake of complexity does nothing - again, a simpler cheaper lighter smaller bigger displacement single cam motor can do exactly what an overly complex, large, heavy, expensive multicam smaller displacement motor can.

Do you honestly have to turn everthing into a pissing match? Its pretty anoying (not that you care I am sure)

Technology developed in F1 finds it's way onto many road cars.
Technology developed in F1 also often gets abandoned for its cost and complexity and minimal returns.

Don't be a bully.
Thats royal coming from the one person who cannot stand anyone else who has an opinion different to yours. While I may have a different opinion to yours I at least have the class to let you have nd express it.

Cant you just ever enjoy the forums without getting all uppity?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:02 AM   #11
pitfield
Regular User

I hope you don't own any guns, I'd hate to see what happens when you get really offended.

Pompous? You belive that your opinion is unsurpassed.

Multivalve engines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-v...valve[/url

Formula one technology: http://jalopnik.com/cars/technology/...ard-320474.php
Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
RC45
Regular User

I hope you don't own any guns, I'd hate to see what happens when you get really offended.

Pompous? You belive that your opinion is unsurpassed.

Multivalve engines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-v...valve[/url

Formula one technology: http://jalopnik.com/cars/technology/...ard-320474.php
My original comment was not even made to you but directed in general at F1 racing, yet you still felt the need to be a jerk.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
04RCSTI
Regular User

You are both babies.

No but really, stop messing up the thread, just ignore each other for a change.

How about we just pretend to care about the electrocuted mechanic...I know I find the whole thing relatively amusing.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 04RCSTI View Post
You are both babies.
And you have AWD....

No but really, stop messing up the thread, just ignore each other for a change.
I have a better idea.. lest all get together for a beer, because I know that if folks here pulled off half the crap they do here in real life, they woul be squarely punched in the mouth settling things once and for all

How about we just pretend to care about the electrocuted mechanic...I know I find the whole thing relatively amusing.
Yeah - I cant wait for the KERS stickers to go on sale alongside the TypeR and VTec stickers at Pep Boys...
Old 07-31-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
Pokiou
Regular User

why dont they use Priarses. ??? sure they might be ugly but there are ECO friendly(my arse).
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote