Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
TNT
Regular User

Default Best movie screen/tv/projector

What is the best of the best, TV, with cost in mind that you can get to watch movies/play games? Size matters but the biggest isn't always best, i am looking to upgrade my tv, if i can hook up to my Powerbook the better, but not needed.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Well if you have a room then I would go with a projector.

As far as TVs. Well one of those 500lb 36" Sony CRTs is the best you are going to get.

LCD TVs are uselss if you are going to watch your regular cable on it. Unless you are one of these blind people who think that watching pixilated cable signal due to it being vieiwd on the screen with a resolution 3x too high for the source is high end television.

Plasmas just look like shit.

The problem right now is that there isnt enough high def sources for all the LCDs TVs etc.

And it will stay that way for a while.

As of right now a big sony CRT or a projector is the best way to go.

Anyway all these "high tech" arguments are useless. Because I bet someone is going to come in claiming that watching cable on his 30" LCD looks amazing :roll:

Best advice is go to a shop and check out what today has to offer and what suits you best.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
TNT
Regular User

Well i have comcast basic cable but i am using my PS2 as a DVD player (fat version), But i am really kind of wanting to be able to hook my my powerbook. but since its a Mac i am not sure if i even can. I don't have the room (space) for a projector and the colors are as good. we use them at school. i don't like projectors.

but what is something under the 400 dollar range? with possible computer hook up.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

I love my projector, even if it's a low end only capable of 1024xwhatever that only cost 700-800; its still WAYYYYYYY worth it; not much beats watching anything from floor-cieling; be it GTR, GT4, Halo, movies, races.... etc.

so what if its not the high def, or whatever, as Alex mentioned; there just arent enough sources to justify buying it for years to come for the general viewer.

there aren't many high-def videos; let alone high def. DVD's; and the cost of them is 2x to 3x more then a standard DVD.

the quality is great, sure..... and if you have the sources, then its worth it; but I don't see a good reason to do it still for a couple years IMO
Old 08-14-2006, 12:51 AM   #5
TNT
Regular User

yeah you all make a good point but the main thing i want is a DVI hook up for me computer.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:53 AM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^^^^
my projector does have both VGA/ SVID/ RCA/ DVI inputs... again, i wont say its the best projector at anything.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:59 AM   #7
evoWalo
Regular User

Dell 20" 2007WFP

From my end it says $367.20 but at your end it may be cheaper.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
TNT
Regular User

well i have 20 inch now, and i would like a bigger tv then the one i have now.