Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 01-27-2006, 04:37 AM   #1
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Default Chaos is going to Europe baby!

From July 14th to August 5th, three of my mates and myself are going on a backpacking trip throughout Europe.

We´ll arrive on July 15th in Madrid, and then head on to Barcelona, Marseille, Nice, Monaco, Milan, Lugano, Zurich, Munich, Berlin, Hamburg, Amsterdam, Brussel, London, Paris and back to Madrid...or something on that route since we haven´t really decided yet, and I also think that´s too many places for three weeks, and i don´t think we should rush things either...

We´re planning on getting Eurail passes to move around from country to country. And we are using the Eurostar to get to london from mainland europe and back again. About this, does it get too crowded during these dates? should I make reservations?

This one goes to dani, on train, how long does it take from Madrid to Barcelona? I also need to know how long it takes to get from Paris to Madrid?

And what better place to find out what to do and where to go in Europe than JW?

So, I need to know where to go...apart from the sightseeing guide. Were to eat, automotive related sites/museums or events during those dates, where to PARTY! ...I would have no idea where to party, for example in Monaco, I bet it's ultra expensive to party there...right salegosse? or London?
I would also like to ski again, I haven't done that in like 10 years, I suppose I could do this in Switzerland, right TT?

Thanks a bunch, any advice will be greatly appreciated!...I hope I´ll be able to meet some of you guys during my stay in Europe.

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
pzgren
Regular User

Default Re: Chaos is going to Europe baby!

Originally Posted by Chaos in 1983!
I would also like to ski again, I haven't done that in like 10 years, I suppose I could do this in Switzerland
for shure you can. but when you'll be here it's summer time. so you'll have to go on a glacier. Saas Fee http://www.saas-fee.ch will be an option.

Drop a PM if you're really going to visit Zurich, it's not far from where i live. would be nice to meet a photoshop contender from overseas.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Max Power

haha, 'chaos is going to europe baby'

Prague was pretty sweet, so I suggest u visit it if u can...
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
dropot2
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
And if you come to Barcelona and wanna meet... just drop me a PM!
And I would love to be part of this JW meeting in Barcelona
dropot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
TT
Regular User

Good plan you have there. Quite a challenge! You are free to contact me via MSN for details infos about Switzerland of course.

To ski here during summer it is not that obvious. There are only a couple of places that allows that since you need to go very high. I actually never skied during summer, so if it's a must for you, confirm me and I'll look into it!

As for party places in Lugano and Zurich, dang, not beeing a party boy, again I can't really help LOL! But I can come back with some infos for you anyway, from trustworthy sources

Too bad you don't plan to pass closer to Lausanne because both Zurich and Lugano are a bit far away for me to just come and wave at you while you'll pass on the rails
Old 01-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

We´re planning on getting Eurail passes to move around from country to country. And we are using the Eurostar to get to london from mainland europe and back again. About this, does it get too crowded during these dates? should I make reservations?
As far as I know, you always need to make reservations for the Eurostar.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
ARMAN
Regular User

Originally Posted by Max Power
haha, 'chaos is going to europe baby'

Prague was pretty sweet, so I suggest u visit it if u can...
Yep, Prague is the nicest city from those you mentioned Chaos jk

If you will have time for Prague just let me know and we can meet

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:58 AM   #8
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Thanks for the info dudes...I know it's too many places for three weeks, I know we´ll have to cut down, I think Germany will be left out, we are still deciding where to go, because we really want to see the most of the cities we travel to, but the places we are pretty sure we'll visit are London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona and Monaco...the rest is yet to be discussed.

I would love to visit Prague, but that´s a bit off our route...I know it´s one of europe´s most beautiful cities, but well, some other time it´ll be. And it seems that skiing will be postponed as well...too bad.

TT sadly Lussanne or Geneva for that matter is a bit far away, since we are visiting some family in Zurich going all the way there would throw us off course...thanks for the invitation though!

As time gets nearer to my departure date, I´ll be asking more specific questions about each country we visit...the things I´m mainly interested in (besides sightseeing) are food, party and of course automotive stuff...

I want to visit at least one restaurant in each city or country where I can try local traditional food...I want to try a bit of the nightlife of each city and visit exotic dealerships and that sort of stuf, if anyone knows about any car related event, motorshows and such please let me know...

And of course I will try to meet up with JW members along the way, I will stick a huge ass JW Logo sticker or patch on my backpack just in case anyone see´s me walk by...LOL

Anyways, I´m getting my ticket next week, to either London or Madrid, then I´ll have a few months to think were we will be going. I still have a lot of planning to do...

Any tip or recomendation is greatly appreciated! where to eat, what to eat, what to drink, what to see, where to go, how to get there, who to meet! anything!

Thanks a bunch dudes...

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Old 01-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
Wutputt
Regular User

Seems like a huge trip!

If you’re going through Germany, why don't you visit the Nürburgring. It doesn't mind what day, there are always hot cars to see during summer time!

As for Belgium, though there are some exotic dealership, there aren't that many on exotics on the road, except maybe for a few places. On the 29th and 30th of July there are the 24h of Spa on the other hand. Food is easy: fries and of course lots of Belgian beer and chocolate As for partying, you'll find plenty of it in every city and during summertime there are a lot of festivals.

As MartijnGizmo said: you have to always reserve your tickets for the Eurostar in advance!
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
salegosse
Regular User

I would have no idea where to party, for example in Monaco, I bet it's ultra expensive to party there...right salegosse?
Depend what sort of party you are looking for ?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:33 PM   #11
TT
Regular User

Ok, for Lugano:

Morandi disco club
via Trevano 56, 6900 Lugano
http://www.morandidiscoclub.ch/

La Piccionaia
Corso Pestalozzi 21
http://www.classcafe.ch/

La Romantica dance club (summer club)
Via Cantonale 6815 Melide (just 100 meters outside Lugano toward south)
http://romantica-danceclub.ch/

La Romantica beeing a very good bet and apparently really mavellous during summer, BUT, a pretty big BUT, almost every is closed during weekdays! So either you'll be there a Friday or Saturday, either it is a bit fucked and you'll have to just go for a restaurant or something less "dancy"
Old 04-21-2006, 01:41 AM   #12
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Dudes, I bought my ticket about a month and a half ago, and now it's time to get into details.

I'll be arriving in London on July 13 and plan to stay two or three nights in London depending on how good of a time I have there...so people from London, help me out here...

WHAT SHOULD I DO, AND WHERE SHOULD I GO IN LONDON? from July 13th to July 16th...please be specific folks.

Can anyone recommend a good an budget hotel/hostel?

A good pub? What do I drink in London? I hear the beer is very good, any brand in particular?

Must do's in London?

What's the cheapest way to cross to mainland europe?

thanks again for your help fellas!

Old 04-21-2006, 06:07 AM   #13
Shinigami
Regular User

Good luck!

What airline are you taking?

I'm currently writing this post on Lufthansa flight 713 from Seoul in Korea, back to Europe

Although I only spent one week there, it was still quite an experience *thumbsup*
Old 04-21-2006, 07:42 AM   #14
Shinigami
Regular User

They have wireless internet in business class

It's pretty cool

I'm working on my laptop, reading and writing e-mails, drinking champagne and watching movies (already watched Aeon Flux, The Man, and now watching The Return of Zorro).
Old 04-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #15
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinigami
Good luck!
What airline are you taking?
I´m flying with TACA from Managua to New York. I´m spending a day in NY and then I´m flying with AA to London.

London people, come on where are ya?