Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 09-26-2004, 05:14 PM   #31
blah
Regular User

about damn time. It was like looking at a site designed by some high schooler. And no not S281, S351 Used. or the SR would work too.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #32
T-Bird
Regular User

I have to say the Roush Turbo Focus is going to be fast once it is available, they claim an 85% hp increase with just the Turbo kit.

Also the S281 extreme from Saleen is pretty damn impressive with 445hp and 450ft/lb torque that being the best you can get from them unless you buy an S7
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 01:24 AM   #33
noliebro
Regular User

has anyone mentioned the price difference between a new supposed C5 and a supposed Cobra will probaly be like 20 to 30 grand?

In a Porsche 911, you're going to have a very good time actually driving the thing, but everyone is going to hate you. They're going to give you dirty looks as you drive by, call you names at the lights, vandalise your paintwork in the night and never, ever let you out of a side turning. That's a given.

In the Vantage, everyone's going to want your babies.
-J.C.
noliebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 01:43 AM   #34
blah
Regular User

Originally Posted by noliebro
has anyone mentioned the price difference between a new supposed C5 and a supposed Cobra will probaly be like 20 to 30 grand?
what ya talking bout? the new C6 corvette is only about 10 grand more than the out going cobras MSRP.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:38 AM   #35
nthfinity
Regular User

what ya talking bout? the new C6 corvette is only about 10 grand more than the out going cobras MSRP.
insentives are quite huge getting the last of the current cobras off the lot. you could get the 2004 cobra for near 30,000$ after all the rebates, or have a super long 3 year lease until you get the new 07 cobra. great deals are to be had
Old 09-29-2004, 03:09 PM   #36
FoxFour
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
My old SVO would say otherwise, both when the suspension was in stock or modified form
actually no it couldnt versus the same year.. could be the nut behind the wheel or the lower versus higher model.. but a mustang suspension just isnt as good as a camaros from 82+...

It cant keep versus the top of the line camaros of the time. The mustang suspension is inherintly flawed. (mostly in the rear due to what is commonly refered to as qudra bind). the camaros was superior in every way in terms of suspension design (the benefit of using a pan hard rod system, which is so much better that alot of mustang guys switch over to the system). Even the guys road racing mustangs will tell you that. Theres a reason the 80s camaros where car and drivers car of the year and the late 80s irocs pulled .92 g on the skid pad. In the 90s there is simply no contest... mcpherson strut cant compete with sla in modified form and the rear was still qudra binding like crazy in the mustang

until the year 2017, the Camaro can not be made anywhere else but at the place where the last gen models were built
actually its 2007 not 2017. Information direct from the mouth of the brand manager of camaro when I talked to him a year ago.
Have you ever driven an SVO? I did, for 13 years and I can tell you that even though what you may have seen from design blueprints of both cars suspension, the SVO was an overlooked, underestimated vehicle. And I don't drive on a skidpad. :roll: I'm not knocking the F- body.
until the year 2017, the Camaro can not be made anywhere else but at the place where the last gen models were built
actually its 2007 not 2017. Information direct from the mouth of the brand manager of camaro when I talked to him a year ago.[/quote]

Officially, GM wanted to tear down the plant because of their belief the property was more valuable as a vacant lot than a 2.1 million square-foot plant, much too large for just about any use other than a high-production vehicle factory. Keep in mind, however, that the plant also had a mandate that it would be the sole source for Camaros and Firebirds. It now begins to come into focus that any comment on a future Camaro or Firebird prior to the plant's disposal, via sale or demolition, perhaps could very well create a situation where GM would be compelled to keep the plant. From a legal perspective, it might be construed that any future car that carried the name Camaro or Firebird would have to be made at this plant, at least till 2017, the year all Canadian government loans are to be repaid.
http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0409phr_camaro/
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:34 PM   #37
RC45
Regular User

This is grounds enough for me to hate Canada..

Farging Canadian Auto Workers Union... what ever... :roll:
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:06 PM   #38
graywolf624
Regular User

Officially, GM wanted to tear down the plant because of their belief the property was more valuable as a vacant lot than a 2.1 million square-foot plant, much too large for just about any use other than a high-production vehicle factory. Keep in mind, however, that the plant also had a mandate that it would be the sole source for Camaros and Firebirds. It now begins to come into focus that any comment on a future Camaro or Firebird prior to the plant's disposal, via sale or demolition, perhaps could very well create a situation where GM would be compelled to keep the plant. From a legal perspective, it might be construed that any future car that carried the name Camaro or Firebird would have to be made at this plant, at least till 2017, the year all Canadian government loans are to be repaid.
and im telling you its wrong.. I talked to the man in charge of what happens to the camaro.. its 2007.. prolly a typo by them.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:07 PM   #39
graywolf624
Regular User

Have you ever driven an SVO? I did, for 13 years and I can tell you that even though what you may have seen from design blueprints of both cars suspension, the SVO was an overlooked, underestimated vehicle. And I don't drive on a skidpad. I'm not knocking the F- body.
yes I have.. in fact.. i know a few people that road race them.. theyll tell you the same thing i just did.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:22 AM   #40
FoxFour
Regular User

Yes, the Fox body, like the F-body, does have some inherent flaws. But for road racing , these flaws can be overcome. For a street car, just adding aftermarket lower control arms can solve most of the problems (rear bind)and for the street that is usually enough.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
Old 09-30-2004, 04:46 PM   #41
graywolf624
Regular User

Yes, the Fox body, like the F-body, does have some inherent flaws. But for road racing , these flaws can be overcome. For a street car, just adding aftermarket lower control arms can solve most of the problems (rear bind)and for the street that is usually enough.
errnn.. wrong..

The fbody is far superior in the number and type of flaws. (specifically with the ability to better rear locate the rear axle, and on the newer models to better control dynamic camber up front). but neither can be overcome ultimately.. the fbody makes a good budget racer.. the mustang just means your different.

Lower control arms wont solve the problems.. its an inheret issue with binding at the shock mounts.. that isnt solveable without custom mounting a pan hard rod or watts link.. neither are cheap or easy.. Thats the way most of the good mustang guys will go.. but ultimately it would never compete with a corvette with even half the money into it. And dont get me started on the multi link.. which is so bad road racers go back to the solid axle on the cobras.
The mustang is not a handler.. want more proof.. notice the new mustang suspension is almost an exact copy of a third gen camaro suspension and far superior to this generation..(step up.. but not where it needs to be)

Griggs website has a good discussion of many of the mustangs fatal flaws.:
http://www.griggsracing.com/suspension.html

Also try cornercarvers.. most of our members are mustang guys but will tell you straight up that it isnt the best choice, the the camaro even is far superior.. and then will go off on qudra bind and such.

It isnt a knock about ford.. just realize how old the suspension system on last mustang actually is.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:33 PM   #42
FoxFour
Regular User

Yes, I go to corner-carvers,com. Most all are dicks even though they are knowledgeable. What do a lot of the corner carvers guys drive? Mustangs. They like the cars, even with all the flaws. And besides, you are also talking about road racing these cars. First off , when I was starting to talk about Mustangs (and SVO's) was mainly talking about street performance and I thiught that you were too, you know; you were talking about skidpad numbers of both street cars. And we must both agree on this, when it comes to criving both cars in the corners, it will mainly end up being who's the better driver. Thanks for showing me the griggs site about the Mustang flaws. I did bookmark that.
Adolf Galland
Old 10-01-2004, 11:38 PM   #43
graywolf624
Regular User

Yes, I go to corner-carvers,com. Most all are dicks even though they are knowledgeable. What do a lot of the corner carvers guys drive? Mustangs. They like the cars, even with all the flaws. And besides, you are also talking about road racing these cars. First off , when I was starting to talk about Mustangs (and SVO's) was mainly talking about street performance and I thiught that you were too, you know; you were talking about skidpad numbers of both street cars. And we must both agree on this, when it comes to criving both cars in the corners, it will mainly end up being who's the better driver. Thanks for showing me the griggs site about the Mustang flaws. I did bookmark that.
Well realizing I'm a) a sr member of corner carvers.. b) a road racer.
I couldnt care less about the street.. cause I follow the cc montra.. it only belongs on the track. Ya think the pictures of the road racing camaro I sold not that long ago, the articles on brakes and suspension I wrote and posted here.. ect.. that itd be obvious..
Maybe you didnt see them though so Ill give you benefit of doubt.

That being said, with no money in the budget Ive been reduced to spending my weekends pitting for my buddies drag racing.. oh well.. another year and ill be back.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:25 AM   #44
FoxFour
Regular User

That's great. One day, when funds are looking good and I have more time. Would like to participate in track events. Me and my best friend have been talking about participating in the Targa Newfoundland event sometime in the future. Whether it will actually happen..
Now let's get back to the World Political Debate forum, since me and you are one of the few people with similar political ideals and I love making those guys angry over there.
Adolf Galland