Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 01-21-2004, 03:57 PM   #16
zevolv
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Respect is given not taken remember that.
...so you mean you can't carpet bomb someone into respecting you...??? LOL
Damn right!
Old 01-21-2004, 03:58 PM   #17
graywolf624
Regular User

"there is a tax on foreign cars in the us, to protect the domestic cars in the competiton from Europe and Asia.
"

There is no tax on most foreign cars in the US anymore. They take a free trade standpoint coupled with the fact that most foreign cars are assembled in the US(thus would not be subject to tarriffs). Technically the us has the most free trade of any country and one could argue the taxes work the other way around.
That being said you mentioned the audi and bmw. What you must understand is that they cost more in america. This isnt because of tarrifs. It has alot to do with different emmission and crash requirements as well as transportation cost.

Then still more has to do with culture.
We can make small good handling cars though, and dont you forget it.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:03 PM   #18
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by zevolv
Originally Posted by RC45
Respect is given not taken remember that.
...so you mean you can't carpet bomb someone into respecting you...??? LOL
Damn right!
I am off to campaign for the phrase "We respect you, really we do..." be painted on every piece of munition... THEN WE CARPET BOMB!!!!!

Yeehawwww!!

Grap your pardner by the hand, sign some deals and bribe em grand

Swing them round about your head - Let's carpet bomb 'em till they're dead...

Come-on Y'all!!!!

Yeeehawwwww.....
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:18 PM   #19
graywolf624
Regular User

"Didnt know it was lifted, thx for the heads up."

Part of it was lifted. The other part was companies were smart enough to figure out how to get around paying it. Gotta love loopholes. It's very interesting to study how placing a company presence in the US(say encorporating bmw of america.) can get you out of paying tarrifs. The tarrifs shouldn't exist so I have no problem with it. Free trade is better for an economy when recipricated.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:24 PM   #20
graywolf624
Regular User

"I know I live in tax hell my friend."

I'm sorry. It just keeps going that way world wide. The price of the shift towards social programs. (too political to comment either way other then the correlation).
Old 01-21-2004, 11:42 PM   #21
ported_head
Regular User

...so I take it your family has money then
that's your idea of success and all you could do is obsess about it in every thread...
get a life man.... you think it's a stupid question..don't comment on it...or are you just full of your own wisdom and have no where to share it.... running of your mouth every time in a forum...trying to be a smartass..guess that is what you do...look around for people who ask stupid questions..so that you can show off your wisdom...which i hope you didn't buy..because you are well off now...aren't you....and you worked yourself being that well off right?? who cares...at 36 you seriously should be rather doing something else....but that's just me man.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:05 AM   #22
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ported_head
...so I take it your family has money then
that's your idea of success and all you could do is obsess about it in every thread...
Obviously hit a vein with you didn't it.
Your mommy and daddy buy your future for you?

get a life man....
I have a life, a wife, a kid, an income - but thanks for caring... we will laugh about it at the dinner table tomorrow night.

you think it's a stupid question..don't comment on it...
You invited comment...

or are you just full of your own wisdom and have no where to share it.... running of your mouth every time in a forum...trying to be a smartass..guess that is what you do...
I don't need to try - I am a smartass - but thanks for noticing... means a lot.. :roll:

look around for people who ask stupid questions..so that you can show off your wisdom...
The beauty of the Internet, is that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a fool in the head...

which i hope you didn't buy..because you are well off now...aren't you....and you worked yourself being that well off right?? who cares...
I know you don't - you probably haven't had to expend an iota of effort to get to where you are - hell I bet you are even going to be introduced to be married, in arrangement to some woman to further bolster your families position - hey - more power to you.

at 36 you seriously should be rather doing something else....but that's just me man.
What would you rather have me do?

No really - I really care what your opinions are... :roll:
Old 01-22-2004, 07:09 PM   #23
sickx
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
Originally Posted by graywolf624
"there is a tax on foreign cars in the us, to protect the domestic cars in the competiton from Europe and Asia.
"

There is no tax on most foreign cars in the US anymore. They take a free trade standpoint coupled with the fact that most foreign cars are assembled in the US(thus would not be subject to tarriffs). Technically the us has the most free trade of any country and one could argue the taxes work the other way around.
That being said you mentioned the audi and bmw. What you must understand is that they cost more in america. This isnt because of tarrifs. It has alot to do with different emmission and crash requirements as well as transportation cost.

Then still more has to do with culture.
We can make small good handling cars though, and dont you forget it.
Didnt know it was lifted, thx for the heads up.

you said that they cost more in america and if you say so I belive you, cuz thats what every fun american car do in Europe too, so the vette being cheap and got good handling for its price only goes for the US.

I will never forget that you yanks can make small good handling cars. SIR....
The last import tax in the US for foreign vehicles was on full-size pickup trucks, to protect the domestic industry. Since that has lifted, witness the evidence: Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan mongo-truck. It's all fair game in the states now, boys.

And as for cars being expensive--our poor blokes in the UK dole out MUCH more cash for their cars than the Americans!
sickx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #24
zevolv
Regular User

The import Trucks wont overtake the domestic truck market.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:30 PM   #25
ericgt
Regular User

I know it's not completely on topic, but. I test drove a Oldsmobile and a WRX(224hp) both new. The Olds cornered better and felt faster.
The handling has alot to do with who is driving.
As for pushrods, it's a partly cost of production issue. But come to think of it the '70s Pinto had overhead cam.

Someone mentioned trucks. The demographic for fullsize trucks are mainly union guys. Nissian made a bad move.
ericgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:48 PM   #26
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ericgt
I know it's not completely on topic, but. I test drove a Oldsmobile and a WRX(224hp) both new. The Olds cornered better and felt faster.
uhm - which Oldsmobile was this? You should take the name and model number to the WRC teams - obviously these guys missed this world-beating Olds when searching for WRC-worthy cars...
Old 01-26-2004, 04:13 PM   #27
nthfinity
Regular User

i almost purchased an 04 impreza WRX a number of months ago, impressed with its accelleration, and cornering. it wasnt the best handling car, or fastest car ive driven; but it was fun. as far as euro market cars, i had a Saab 9000t. its accelleration was best defined in 3rd gear as the torque curve didnt lay off, and its handling was predictable; unlike a chevy celebrity i had (never get one unless all you have is 100 us $, and it has 3/4 tank of gas)
I test drove a Oldsmobile and a WRX(224hp) both new. The Olds cornered better and felt faster.
ive driven the fastest olds out there, and let me assure you, it neither accellerates as much as a WRX, nor does it corner as well, which leads me to suspect you drove an autobox wrx?
anyway, as far as american vs euro vs japan..... i love cars in all 3 markets, however if i wanted to get the most per performance $$, ill take an american V8, or if i wanted a great rounded car to make faster (accellerating through corners as well) id go with various euro autos.
http://members.tripod.com/~juan_espero/engine.html
Old 01-27-2004, 03:52 PM   #28
ericgt
Regular User

to whoever asked: The 2003 Olds was the mid sized 180hp v6 2dr, the WRX was a stick with the Ti shift knob. The Olds was faster on the hiway ramps by a good 3 mph. In the dry, without drifting. The WRX was a econobox below 3000 rpms, yes the turbo kicked in, but not impressed. I was surprized too. I don't hate Asia cars, while except Honda but thats another story. I saw the WRX on Top Gear and whated to compare to a Mustang. The only reason I test drove Olds was because it at the same dealer, $5000 cheeper, and I was borded.
Those WRC car are highly modified.
ericgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:22 PM   #29
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ericgt
to whoever asked: The 2003 Olds was the mid sized 180hp v6 2dr, the WRX was a stick with the Ti shift knob. The Olds was faster on the hiway ramps by a good 3 mph. In the dry, without drifting. The WRX was a econobox below 3000 rpms, yes the turbo kicked in, but not impressed. I was surprized too. I don't hate Asia cars, while except Honda but thats another story. I saw the WRX on Top Gear and whated to compare to a Mustang. The only reason I test drove Olds was because it at the same dealer, $5000 cheeper, and I was borded.
Those WRC car are highly modified.
It was I that asked - and I am far from an "Asian car lover" - but I know for a fact that that "mid-sized" V6 Olds is a shit box. It may "feel quicker" - but that is about it.

It personifies what our European friends say about American cars only being any good in a straightline.

Which model was it? The Alero? That's a Malibu/Grand Am for goodness sakes...

Give your Alero a sleek and sportier look with the Sport Package. This package is only available on the 2004 Alero GX model.* $150 Credit**

Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel and Shift Knob. The leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter knob add a touch of sophistication and comfort.

Rear Decklid Spoiler. Make you own statement with the rear decklid spoiler.

15" Aluminum Wheels. The aluminum wheels are an ideal accent to Alero's contoured body.
Yeah - thats it - that puts the Olds right in M3 CSL territory...
Old 01-28-2004, 01:43 AM   #30
nthfinity
Regular User

thats for sure..... when i drove the WRX...... 3 separate times totalling about 55 minutes, i had 3 different experiences..... highway, 2 way winding roads, and a highway with some rally sport (well, i did a huge U-eee on gravel and gripped much more then i had anticipated launching me back down the highway at 80 before i knew) this is completely true that the subie needs to be reved higher then 2800 to get its power kicking, but being that its a turbo; it makes perfect sence. if you let it spool close to 6000 @(227hp u.s.) you will feel the 217 ft. lb of torque in a major way (at 4000revs peak)
the NA v6 would have a broader torque curve, but loosing in both total torque, as well as high end power.
the gearbox on the wrx is realatively close ratio, and as long as you keep the reving above 4000, and {power shift} you will most cirtainly be hitting 100+mph on a straight, and fairly level on-ramp whereas even the olds aroura with the 4.8 ? V8 will hit about 85, which isnt bad.
The handling has alot to do with who is driving.
as far as cornering, i couldn't agree more as its importance. but the best cornering olds i know of (once again the araura) pulls about .75 g laterally; whereas the wrx is .88 g
hope this helps