Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars > American Cars Pictures and Videos

Old 04-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #16
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
About the Ford GT's motor, from FerrariChat

[85GTO]

"
The GT's engine is in the same family of engines as the cobra/lightning etc. Think LS1 vs. LS7. The GT engine shares no parts with any other ford vehicle. The block is a full race piece good up to about 2000 HP cast in T356 alluminum and dry sump'd. The block has been modified into a forced induction specific piece with a ton of extra cooling around the cylinder head. It has a billet crank, h-beam rods, etc. And the heads are substantially improved version from the '00 cobra R. Not that it's my cup of tea but you will soon start hearing about 1500rwhp turbo'd cars showing up......the engine is that strong. Yup.....truck motor.
"
8)
the "to be available" Shelby GT500 has the same heads as the Ford GT and with an Iron block, it ought to be able to produce similar numbers.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:12 AM   #17
deth
Regular User

looks like they found another 12 hp and 21 torques...
Old 04-30-2006, 10:52 AM   #18
StanAE86
Regular User

That's pretty bad-ass. Whenever a pimp ride comes out, there's always gotta' be someone that Star Treks it (go where no person has gone before). I'm guessing it's low pressure so you don't lose the power the motor has already...it bother's me when people take a smart motor and then make it low compression to put in big turbos. On a car like the FordGT, I'd go with a lower pressure set-up to get some extra ummph without sacrificing the response of the motor in stock configuration...hopefully, they'll have more details shortly...
Old 04-30-2006, 11:08 AM   #19
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^
you know, the GT is already "low compression" @ 8.5:1 ... but of course, the boost already makes up for that

500 hp @ 4000 rpm :shock: beautiful!
Old 04-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #20
gobs3z
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity

[85GTO]

"
The GT's engine is in the same family of engines as the cobra/lightning etc. Think LS1 vs. LS7. The GT engine shares no parts with any other ford vehicle. The block is a full race piece good up to about 2000 HP cast in T356 alluminum and dry sump'd. The block has been modified into a forced induction specific piece with a ton of extra cooling around the cylinder head. It has a billet crank, h-beam rods, etc. And the heads are substantially improved version from the '00 cobra R. Not that it's my cup of tea but you will soon start hearing about 1500rwhp turbo'd cars showing up......the engine is that strong. Yup.....truck motor.
"
8)
the "to be available" Shelby GT500 has the same heads as the Ford GT and with an Iron block, it ought to be able to produce similar numbers.
Similar numbers? It'll produce much better numbers with an iron block. Thats why tuners that want huge numbers from an LS1 use the iron block version. I think we'll be seeing 1500-2000hp from the Cobras if they decide to push the limits. This Ford GT is impressive with already having 1000hp just because it took years for people to finally get 1000hp out of an LS1. More power to ford!!

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #21
StanAE86
Regular User

Total brain fart....they pulled the supercharger for turbos....I dunno what I was thinking....

I prefer turbos over a supercharger, they're more flexible and the power is easier to tune I think. Then, I don't think there's much to it besides tuning. I wonder what the capacity of the motor is...how much before it rips apart...
Old 04-30-2006, 11:27 AM   #22
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by gobs3z
Originally Posted by nthfinity

[85GTO]

"
"
8)
Similar numbers? It'll produce much better numbers with an iron block. Thats why tuners that want huge numbers from an LS1 use the iron block version. I think we'll be seeing 1500-2000hp from the Cobras if they decide to push the limits. This Ford GT is impressive with already having 1000hp just because it took years for people to finally get 1000hp out of an LS1. More power to ford!!
resleaved with extremely strong, and workable materials offer all the advantages, and then some of an Iron block... that is why in drag racing, GT racing etc. use aluminum blocks... and sleved engines... Iron is just cheaper to work with