Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > Top Gear UK - Episode Discussion

Old 02-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #46
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

@ mevistox5: The rebuilding efforts in New Orleans have been tremendous, but its still not nearly enough. You have to go there to truly grasp the damage. New Orleans is a very big city, and as most of the city was devastated by this storm, its not as easy as, say, cleaning up after 9/11, or putting up a few new power lines. This is like trying to rebuild New York, Paris, London, any major city after it being underwater, except with raw sewage still on the streets and hoards of homeless wandering around. After seeing the devastation myself, I honestly believe it will take more than 10 years to truly clean the city to the condition it was in before, and thats not even factoring in rebuilding what structures were lost ( A LOT). Its wiping the slate clean for what was once a gorgeous city (most parts).
Old 02-13-2007, 12:22 AM   #47
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska
It was amusing, but very disturbing to watch (only because I live in the US). First of all, they went to the wrong part of the USA. And you can't get anything with a $1000 unless you're lucky. And that whole thing with the paint... that was just asking for trouble.
Try autotrader, put in 1000 bucks, you will be surprise on what you can buy. Those are probably 500 bucks cars.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #48
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinigami
It's funny how RC's always calling us 'eurocrats' a bunch of stuck up blokes with no sense of humor, and he's the one who's getting all uptight about this episode.
I have a sense of humour - I was raised on "British humour". I grew up in a commonwealth nation you seem to forget.

But this epiode is a cheap shot at poor black, latino, cuban and white communities... it is simply a class thing.

If you go to europe and hang out in the ghettos youwill see the same.

The gas station was so staged.. uhm - making a getaway and jumpstarting your car? puhlease.

not to mention, the fact that releases woudl have been needed from the folks filmed - the entire show is a "produciotn" folks.. not reality TV (which is also staged anyway).

I am aware of what and where Moroso raceway is... The 'practise' marks I was talking abotu were the ones the ATG guys drove over - the ones that stopped right before the grass where they stopped

I guess if I wanted slapstick, I would watch Faulty Towers or Benny Hill - if I watch Top Gear I excpect car stuff.. not agenda laden political statements.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #49
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

This show was definitely one of the funniest episodes of Top Gear.. If it was real, they wouldn't have never gotten away from those rednecks in Alabama

And as RC has pointed out, everyone in the film gladly signed the release to have their faces on TV.

Sure it's a production, its a freking TV show. But one hell of a production.. they did a lot of work making this episode and I think it paid off.

The thing about everyone in Florida having a gun isn't necessarily true, as most if the stereotypes they "poke fun at." In Florida your are legally allowed to conceal a weapon(thus the guy pulling out that tiny 22 from his back pocket), but because of this freedom, the Police have the right to forcefully take down anyone they pursue.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #50
mevistox5
Regular User

@ferrarif1fan89: Thanks for the insight. I can imagine that it takes long for such a city to be rebuilded. The fact that there is still a lot of debris or devistated homes to be seen, just as if it happened yesterday, is what disturbed me.

Nico
mevistox5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #51
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

This was probably the funniest episode of TG I've ever seen!

Anyone notice the hillarious credits??
Old 02-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #52
sobolan
Regular User

1) the credits at the end were very funny..."Cletus Clarkson"

2) actually, you can do better for $1000. When I was a grad student in Houston, I managed to buy a '96 Accent, green, sunroof, tip top, for $1000. Drove it for 3 years, only changed oil and managed to sell for $1500. It had a manual and it drove very nice. Oh, and the AC was blowing ice cold...a must in Houston.

3) sometimes is better to rent than buy. As I did in Dec.-Jan., during my last visit to the States. Rented from Hertz, for 10 days, for 350Euro/$455, a red Nissan 350Z, with all the insurance you can buy and unlim.mileage. From SFO(SF airport). Wanted to get the GT-H, but the manager refused to offer unlim miles for it...
And I got there in style...hired a limo for less than the taxi faire to get there
Put the 350Z to good use, done a trip to Las Vegas (and back),...600miles in less than 8 hrs, including "toilet stops" (due to the "girlfriend factor... )

Anyway...if you know where you can go, what part of the town is off limits...and that the americans really mean "private property"...US is a nice place to visit.

Judging by the regular unleaded price, 2.76 in Alabama's backyard...the feature must be shot during last year, fall (october?) Now you can buy premium for that even in Palo Alto, CA!
sobolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:38 PM   #53
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by phatbimmer
Who cares about the politics involved in the film, it was funny and it was good so shut up and enjoy
I can't enjoy it when the country's being misrepresented on TV watched by 8 million people. That's not right, even if you shouldn't take Clarkson too seriously.

I did find the episode amusing, but not satisfying.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:12 AM   #54
666fast
Regular User

Well, I thought it was pretty funny. There were a few things that were a tad over the line. The paintings on the cars was a terrible idea. That could have actually gotten them killed. Whether or not the scene at the gas station was staged or not, I can't tell. But, people do get killed for less.

Some of the other things I found funny was the guy at the car dealer with the guns. LOL Does Florida have a conceal and carry law? If not, he commited a felony on television. heh

I knew what the premise of the show was before watching, so I was expecting the stereotypes. To be honest, they don't bother me much. It's only a type of humor that some people don't get. Many American television shows poke fun at Europe using stereotypes as well. What goes around comes around.

Overall, it was an excellent show, I found it very entertaining. Thats all it is anyway, entertainment. I just hope the folks that don't live here are mature enough to realize that as well. What was seen is not at all a snapshot of every day America. Though, I'm sure a few are kicking back sucking it up as if it's all 100% accurate.

FYI, while they were in new Orleans, the wrecked houses that had numbers painted on them. Those numbers explain whether or not people were found dead in them and how many.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #55
graywolf624
Regular User

They most certainly faked the gas station scene. Are there people that would get pissed off at such stupid sayings? Yes.. There are those people in many countries where they would react as such to insulting them (even Britain). But... Its just too much coincidence that a truck full shows up. Also notice you dont actually see any stones. Its hilarious dont get me wrong, but its quite false, even for the deep south. Then again you dont just run into cow roadkill either.. Nor does everyone in the city own a gun. Go to the ghetto though....

Then of course the track.. Clarkson himself has been on many American tracks.. Yet he trys to comment that the one of literally 1000s of tracks in the states has right and left turns... yeah.. umm.. ok..
And then he points out that the track is deserted.. Well yeah.. ya rented it out to shoot the show.. Kind of like you dont see anyone else on the track in any show.

Jeremy bought my all favorit american car and my favorit generation of it - 3rd gen damn how bad i wanted one and still is one of my dream cars to have, drove once one in a used car dealership here with smallest engine 2,8 and didnt care about it having automatic gearbox 5l top model would be the choice
The 5L isn't the top of the line. The top of the line was a 5.7 L iroc-z pushing out 245 bhp and 300 ft lbs of torque. Not bad for a car during the emission nut years. I should know, I use to race one. A hell of a good cheap racing car at about 1500 dollars plus parts.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #56
detltu6
Regular User

I have to say I would have passed out if I saw Jeremy Clarkson getting out of an old Camaro in New Orleans. That would have been hilarious.
detltu6 is offline   Reply With Quote