Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-26-2004, 06:38 AM   #76
frozzu
Regular User

hehe, I read the wrong post, sorry, so you already know. Well let's wait for the first tests (top gear, videos).
frozzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 10:21 AM   #77
pilone
Regular User

Default A good test

Thank you for that comparison and I think that's very good!!.
In my opinion the BMW M5 is better and more sporty. Mercedes - Benz E55AMG is too but not as M5.
I hope you'll like these pictures.

pilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:37 PM   #78
sergei_dekker85
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
here's the other factor sergei, variable valve timing.

BMW's VANOS system has the powerband of their engines widened considerably since they can open the valves sooner/later. Mercedes doesn't have anything like it.
well if u compare valve timing with forced induction forced induction produces more BHP per ton and has alot more torque if u look at the figures
sergei_dekker85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #79
schnell318
Regular User

Default Re: A good test

Originally Posted by pilone
Thank you for that comparison and I think that's very good!!.
In my opinion the BMW M5 is better and more sporty. Mercedes - Benz E55AMG is too but not as M5.
I hope you'll like these pictures.

We were talking about the E60 M5 not the E39 of course. But thanks for the pics anyway.
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:26 AM   #80
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by sergei_dekker85
the m5 is manual....

what are you talking about, the latest M5 dont have a manual, the old one had it but the test was between the latest M5 not the old one.
Just_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:19 AM   #81
bmwmpower
Regular User

new M5 is much quicker then E55, read test in autocar, gearbox is quicker then any
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:18 PM   #82
ZfrkS62
Regular User

BMW's VANOS system has the powerband of their engines widened considerably since they can open the valves sooner/later. Mercedes doesn't have anything like it.
well if u compare valve timing with forced induction forced induction produces more BHP per ton and has alot more torque if u look at the figures
A) saying you have a 480HP supercharged motor is not as impressive as saying you have a 500HP NA motor (550 with the M6)

B) the NA motor is going to be more reliable than the FI motor since any form of forced induction is going to wear down piston rings, intake manifold gaskets, and even engine oil alot faster than the NA.
Not to mention the cost of replacing the supercharger after the bearings and/or compressor fins wear out.

while true the VANOS units don't add the same amount of power as the supercharger, it is a more reliable solution. Not to mention the fact that it eliminates the need for pesky EGR valves by increasing the scavenging effect. (i'll put up a bigger technical break down of this in the near future)

As for FI methods, a turbo is the better way to go. It has a better power/dollar ratio than a supercharger does since it doesn't have to rob power to make power through the belt drive

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:51 PM   #83
bmwmpower
Regular User

no way, atmosferic engine is better,
more rpm more power
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:54 PM   #84
mindgam3
Regular User

A) saying you have a 480HP supercharged motor is not as impressive as saying you have a 500HP NA motor (550 with the M6)

B) the NA motor is going to be more reliable than the FI motor since any form of forced induction is going to wear down piston rings, intake manifold gaskets, and even engine oil alot faster than the NA.
Not to mention the cost of replacing the supercharger after the bearings and/or compressor fins wear out.

while true the VANOS units don't add the same amount of power as the supercharger, it is a more reliable solution. Not to mention the fact that it eliminates the need for pesky EGR valves by increasing the scavenging effect. (i'll put up a bigger technical break down of this in the near future)

As for FI methods, a turbo is the better way to go. It has a better power/dollar ratio than a supercharger does since it doesn't have to rob power to make power through the belt drive
indeed, it is way more impressive that the engine develops that much power by sucking rather than pushing the air through its cylinders
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:20 PM   #85
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmwmpower
no way, atmosferic engine is better,
more rpm more power
i wasn't saying forced induction engines were better. the comment of better FI engines was my opinion of which method was better.

if i was going to take a powerful engine it would definetly be NA. You don't have to worry about your boost control going to hell and suddenly jacking up the level from 5psi to 20 and melting your pistons to the cylinder walls.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:34 PM   #86
schnell318
Regular User

It´s not only the better solution but the hardest way to go. What I like so much about BMW is that they normally take the hard way (and come up with the goods), they don´t just increase the capacity, add FI or both (as MB does). If you do these things and in the end come up with an engine with massive torque and hp is not that impressive IMO.

The hard thing to do is to develop a V10 that has the same capacity as the previous V8, weights the same, revs higher, has more torque and has 107 bhp more now that´s an achievement.
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:43 PM   #87
ZfrkS62
Regular User

hell, just the fact alone that they got a V10 to rev up to 8300RPM is impressive.

Old 09-27-2004, 05:15 PM   #88
mindgam3
Regular User

hell, just the fact alone that they got a V10 to rev up to 8300RPM is impressive.
and one that fits under a 5 series bonnet
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:18 PM   #89
ZfrkS62
Regular User

and one that fits under a 5 series bonnet
so true :sniffle:

Old 09-28-2004, 04:20 AM   #90
noosee
Regular User

I don't like Mercedes idea of powerful engine.
What if BMW put turbo or kompressor on even older e39 M5 engine :shock: ?
And what about new one
noosee is offline   Reply With Quote