Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 02-25-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Apac102
Regular User

Default belly fat

I know someone of you out there are ripped when it comes to abs. Help me. Ive started lifting about 1/2 hr a day and swimming an 1 hr a day for 3 weeks. Ive seen changings so far in my arms and chest but nothing when it comes to my belly. can you give me a specific diet plan for a day to day or some method of working out that Im not doing. (I do the Tae Bow abs workout for about 15 min a day). that would be awesome. thanks in advanced.
Apac102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
graywolf624
Regular User

Actually.. Id suggest quite the opposite.. Drop the lifting or go to light endurance lifting. In the end its not going to give you tone, just raw muscle.

I actually flipped from full lift to full endurance/tone training last year. Granted I was quite large from lifting already so my requirements were only maintenance.. but still from my experience lifting does nothing for the stomach line(and in my case made my chest so large I had to go up a shirt size lol).
Old 02-25-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
Apac102
Regular User

I weight around 165 lbs. Im also taking this whey protein. My roommate suggested it. I take the amount it suggests on the tube everytime i work out. So thats where i get most of my protein. As for meals, im in college so I don't get to eat very often. I usually eat a good size sandwich for lunch with an orange and a bottle of water. For dinner i eat a large portion of spaghetti with some powerade. Every wednesday i get a bagel and a bottle of OJ for breakfast. Once and awhile ill sneak in a pack (about 15) oreos and some milk. As for lifting goes, i only lift for my arms, chest and shoulders. I don't lift to get huge b/c i just use a set amount of weights and instead of increasing the amount of weights i lift i increase the number of reps i do. And when i swim i do about 2500 yards a day. im trying to get up to 3000 but its difficult with my schedule and time. So what do you think? Should i be changing something or am I on the right path?
Old 02-26-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
Apac102
Regular User

Alright. Is it true that i need to eat all the time too? I hear people saying eat like 4-6 meals a day to keep the metabolism burning the food? also, how many times should i take those whey protein shakes a day? is one good enough? alright....no oreos... . WOuld you recommend those nuetragrain bars for breakfast snacks? So Ill keep eating spaghetti but only drink water with it. Can i drink something other then water and milk or should i just stick to those? And of course i drink beer on the weekends...Im not going to cahnge this.. . Oh another thing. Is it true that liquor has less carbs then beer? so if i do wanna drink should i drink liquor? thanks again!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
DeMoN
Regular User

I am a personal trainer. Certified by AFAA. Just like girls store fat some in their legs, some in their ass, men store it (mostly) in the belly.

If you do 10000 crunches a day, that doesnt mean you will see them. They will be hard and you will be able to get a punch in your stomach without it hurting, but that is not what you want right?

If you want to have abs, you must swet a LOT. Dont take Proteins or anything. Just workout and do cardio (swimming gets rid of a lot of calories). Just stay away from Carbs found mostly on bread, potato, rice, etc.

About eating 4 to 6 times a day, if you can eat like a bird (very small amount) and control yourself as to not eat more, then yes. Eating several times a day makes your stomach digest and digestion burns up calories. Not only that, but by making your stomach used to getting food, it wont convert it and store it. It will rely on the new food to use up. This is why starving is bad. Your body would go starvation and start storing whatever comes thru.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
Apac102
Regular User

Ok...so. I should eat protein (whey protein) everyday. And then should i lift everyday too since im only trying to get toned?
Old 02-26-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
DeMoN
Regular User

Originally Posted by DrijF360
I can't believe as a trainer you would give that advice to avoid protein, protein burns fat and keeps you lean. When you aren't consuming protein your body is in a catabolic state (muscle wasting). When you aren't eating enough protein you aren't losing fat you're losing muscle. Eating protein speeds up your metabolism and keeps the hunger down.
I think you misunderstood me. I said avoid protein as powlder. Protein is all I ead in foods. Chicken, Tuna, Salmon, Broccoli, etc. What I am trying to point out is that you dont need supplements if you do it right and eat well. I dont take anything and I am pretty ripped.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
DeMoN
Regular User

what do you weigh? Eat 1.5g of protein for your body weight per day, avg out your meals about 4-6 with atleast 35g of protein and watch the type of carbs you are eating. Lift for every body part. Wider thicker shoulders give the impression your waist is smaller.
OH and another thing, it has been prooven that this is overkill. The correct ration (corrected a couple of months ago) is 1gram of protein per KILOGRAM you weigh. 1.5 or 2grams is what the bottle say just so you consume more. Your body cant process 2 grams of Protein powlder per pound so yeah, guess you are wrong arent you? Don't try bashing me in something I am clearly more qualified than you are. I dont think you have the certification do you?

and also FIBER is what keeps the hunger down, NOT protein.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
gucom
Regular User

hmm interesting to read all this since im also pretty active in sports ( i go to the gym and run)...if i want to be strong in a real usable way (for instance in case i join the military) and still be light enough to run (which is 1 of my greatest passions)...any advice? i go to the gym 3 times a week, and no mostly series of 12 to 15 reps, increasing the weight when im capable of lifting (or whatever motion it is) more...i also train my abs alot. I run about 3 times a week too, usually either 1 endurance run and 2 faster shorter runs (usually interval or whatever the english word is, running fast-slower-fast-slower untill you drop dead on the ground ) or 2 endurance and 1 faster run. I try to avoid eating too much fat, hardly eat anything with sugar added, try to eat varied (lots of fruit, not enough vegetables ops: , an egg every time i've gone to the gym, cereal every time i've gone for a run, and for the rest mostly bread with sugar-free jelly or sumn else thats healthy...

is there anything i could do better?

[EDIT] ow and looking good and toned wouldnt hurt either
Old 02-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #10
DeMoN
Regular User

Yes I agree with you, supplements are secondary you have to have a sound and consistent eating plan before you think supplements are going to be your answer. No I'm not wrong, thats the RDA for protein. The bigger you are the more protein you can consume and process. But if you want to grow you're going to need more protein. I'll take it to the extreme look at the huge bodybuilders there are today are you saying their bodies can only consume 35g-40g of protein per meal. I don't think so, even without anabolics. There bodies alone are burning fat and building muscle at an unbelievable rate. For Apac's case he just wants to maintain atleast consume 1.2g per pound of bodyweight. He should be averaging atleast 30g-35g of protein per meal.
they can consume more protein than me, but thats because they weigh more. RDA admited that 1gram per kilogram is the correct amount now.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #11
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I guess Ill jump in too.

I already asked this question long time ago but here I go again.

I havent worked out in a while, just slacking off and damn do I look like shit. Not eating much, not working out, just look skinny..... or rather no definition.

I started working out again and I dont use any machines. Sit ups, various types of push ups, chin ups, stretching etc.

I dropped a lot of weight, I figure Im at about 77 kg right now.

I am happy with my workouts, In the week that I worked out I already see a lot of defenition but its so damn hard to build muscle.

each night before I shower I drink a egg/milk cocktail. 3 raw eggs mixed in a mug with some 3% milk.

I guess I simply dont eat enough protein.

Honestly I eat like shit. Most of the times I dont have a morning meal and usualy I eat somehting 6 hours after I wake up.

If I do have a morning meal its just cerial cause I dont have the time to prep a my self a nice big stake or lots of eggs.

So what are some common, easy to get natural protein sources.

I already have milk and eggs before I go off to bed.

Chicken and meat just takes a lot of time to cook, so Im looking for something easy.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:22 PM   #12
Stikz
Regular User

/\/\/\ good advice all through this thread. Summer is just around the corner and everyone is looking to firm up. Gotta start eating healthy, then all i need is a 4 months or so. thanks guys.
Stikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #13
DeMoN
Regular User

Another thing about the protein powlder. If you are skinny then yeah it is a good idea to take protein powlder, but not as adviced on the bottle. Take 1 gram per kilogram distributed throughout the day. But here is the deal with protein powlder...

Whey Protein acts fast so you need this type right before working out (15 mins prior to), you need it DURING working out so take a bottle, and most importantly, RIGHT after since thats when your muscle (45 minutes after workout is done) recovers. Also, after lifting weights, try running or doing some type of cardio activity to have your heart pump faster and more blood thru your body = better recovery and more oxygen + protein to your muscle. It makes no sence drinking Whey Protein with MILK. Milk will slow down the effect of whey protein, try mixing it with gatorade/powerade because they have comlex carbs

The other type of Protein is the slow consuming one. It last longer in your body so this is what you should take in the morning and every other time except for the 3 times I mentioned above. Mix this with milk or water if you want as this type of protein is meant to last longer in your body.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #14
ae86_16v
Regular User

Cardio - Run
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #15
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
Another thing about the protein powlder. If you are skinny then yeah it is a good idea to take protein powlder, but not as adviced on the bottle. Take 1 gram per kilogram distributed throughout the day. But here is the deal with protein powlder...

Whey Protein acts fast so you need this type right before working out (15 mins prior to), you need it DURING working out so take a bottle, and most importantly, RIGHT after since thats when your muscle (45 minutes after workout is done) recovers. Also, after lifting weights, try running or doing some type of cardio activity to have your heart pump faster and more blood thru your body = better recovery and more oxygen + protein to your muscle. It makes no sence drinking Whey Protein with MILK. Milk will slow down the effect of whey protein, try mixing it with gatorade/powerade because they have comlex carbs

The other type of Protein is the slow consuming one. It last longer in your body so this is what you should take in the morning and every other time except for the 3 times I mentioned above. Mix this with milk or water if you want as this type of protein is meant to last longer in your body.
Should I take the whey protein 45min after the weightlifting or 45min after the cardio? I usually do 45-60min of cardio after my workout.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote