Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 11-26-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
hamlet
Regular User

Default Factory Five Racing GTM

(from Factory Five Racing Press Release)

The idea for the GTM is simple. Design a modern supercar and price it where an ordinary guy can afford. The only catch is that you have to provide your own running gear (GM based) and you have to build it yourself.

After more than three years of engineering and development work, we are ready to introduce the world to our vision of what an American-designed Supercar should be. The GTM is an American V-8 powered, mid-engined car with a composite body shell and an aluminum and steel tube frame chassis. The car uses GM Performance engine and suspension parts with four-corner coil-over shocks, huge brakes and a Porsche 911 Transaxle.

In the Factory Five tradition, the car is first and foremost a high performance car. The GTM is light and aerodynamic, with excellent weight distribution and precise race-car handling/braking derived from the Chevrolet Corvette C-5.

The car is engineered to be built as a chassis kit by a person at home. More than ten years of manufacturing the best engineered, safest, best selling and easiest to build kits in the world has made us uniquely capable of this challenge.

Lastly, no matter how well engineered the car is, and how good it looks, in order to succeed we knew we would have to ensure the car had modern comfort and control. The GTM has a large and quiet cockpit, good visibility and modern temperature controls. Items like A/C, power windows, and complete interior make sure the car isn’t limited to race track duty.

From the first design sketch to the completed production car the team has kept faithful to its charter to deliver a new All-American Supercar design. The GTM is an all-new design for us. It is 100% American designed and proudly made in the USA.

We humbly present our vision of The American Supercar.

More details here: http://www.factoryfive.com/table/whatsnew/whatsnew.html

Personnaly, I did not know this car but it does not look too bad...
Old 11-26-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

yeah, ive known about this car since about a year ago i think... a great idea IMO... since it wont have any of the associated costs with running a production supercar at all.

its looks are definately GT40+ corvette, with an emphisis on the former
Old 11-27-2005, 03:19 AM   #3
inso
Regular User

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...iste.96936.htm
look also the pictures.
inso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:21 AM   #4
Pehtren
Regular User

nice 8)

i think this looks like a gt40 and a jaguar xk joined together

its a cool car, it looks good
Pehtren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Yep - we have been eyeing this one for a while.

Once some more data comes in abotu super highspeed handling and stability, there will be a serious attempt to put one together.

Donor C5 Coupe and the kit... should make for a fun little car
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 04:01 AM   #6
sads
Regular User

Very promissing car but also very Ford GT in its looks
Old 12-13-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
jstillwell
Regular User

I got these pics at SEMA this year.

I wasn't overwhelmed with the fit and finish. The car did not have roll up windows, just slots in the door that I suppose you stick plexi windows in. Not something that sounds appealing at 150 mph. The chassis does look nice though.

I'd rather go with a Noble though, I think, if I had that kind of disposable income and needed to dispose of it on a component-built sports car. Or a Superformance Cobra Coupe. There are a lot of crappy kit cars, but some cream has floated to the top.
jstillwell is offline   Reply With Quote