Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
LotusGT1
Regular User

Default BBC removes 'Top Gear' from video websites

I saw this posted today on another forum. Can this jeopardize JW's efforts, and have any of you heard about it?

From LLN:

The British Broadcasting Corporation has demanded video hosting websites such as YouTube remove all copyrighted materials, including episodes of the wildly popular Top Gear uploaded by users. Auto enthusiasts around the world have long been forced to download the television show from file-sharing or video hosting services, because it is not available in countries where BBC is not offered.

Top Gear has been available on YouTube since the site's founding in February 2005. While there are mounting concerns over content piracy on YouTube, most Top Gear fans assumed BBC would allow its content to remain on the service, because the broadcasting company is publicly funded. While other content providers risk losing sales or advertising dollars from YouTube piracy, BBC is advertisement- and subscription-free.

While some clips of Top Gear remain on the YouTube website, one prominent user's chronological collection episodes has been removed.

A notice on the site reads: "This video has been removed at the request of copyright owner the BBC because its content was used without permission."

While it's not clear how aggressive the BBC will be in its efforts to remove the show from Internet video services, it appears the days of readily accessible Top Gear are over for North American fans.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Well - we knew something like this was bound to happen sooner or later once people started hosting the videos on those public services.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:23 AM   #3
acmarttin
Regular User

I really hope this isn't true, because the net is the only place I get to see it
Old 07-27-2006, 03:20 AM   #4
nickthaskater

Haha oh well, I never watched them on youtube anyways, always got them through final-gear and mininova.

]s some of you may of heard, the BBC is cracking down on YouTube and the likes and having all Top Gear clips removed from their sites.

Now before you start worrying about Final-Gear.com, let me just say that we won’t be going anywhere because simply put, this site is entirely legal. We host nothing, not even .torrent files. We simply list the episodes and link to torrents hosted on Mininova and there is nothing illegal about linking to another website.

So surf in peace knowing that your favorite Top Gear fansite will still be here for quite some time to come!
had to put hyphens in between 'final' and 'gear' for some reason...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:44 AM   #5
Jabba
Regular User

Its a banned site here as its run by a bunch of twats.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:47 AM   #6
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
LOL, at least that's clear
Old 07-27-2006, 05:10 AM   #7
nickthaskater

Originally Posted by Jabba
A bunch of twats maybe, but they give me Top Gear and Fifth Gear on time on a weekly basis so I couldn't care less what the people who run it are like
Old 07-27-2006, 05:20 AM   #8
Jabba
Regular User

Which is why I presume you post here rather than over there ?

I wonder if there are any people that get Top and 5th Gear from here and yet post over there ?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:25 AM   #9
nickthaskater

I post here because I'm a car enthusiast and post on a number of car-related message boards. I get my episodes there because they're free, and they're entire episode rips, and I've been doing so for over a year now. I don't post there however, as for some reason my computer wouldn't load the page I needed to login when I was trying (haven't bothered for some time), but I do read the forums there for the episode songs and such.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:34 AM   #10
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by nickthaskater
I don't post there however, as for some reason my computer wouldn't load the page I needed to login when I was trying
Upto their usual high standards then it would seem.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:35 AM   #11
nickthaskater

Meh, I don't really care, I'm only there for the shows anyways. I can still read the forums at least, and that's all I really wanted to do in the first place.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:08 AM   #12
nickthaskater

I leave them active for as long as I can
Old 07-28-2006, 03:42 AM   #13
nickthaskater

They have less of a reason to get shut down than this site, they're just linking, Jabba's World hosts them (as far as I know).
Old 07-28-2006, 05:21 AM   #14
Jabba
Regular User

Please show me where we host full episodes of Top Gear on JW.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:37 AM   #15
nickthaskater

As I said, as far as I know, which means I was unsure. You have them listed on the front of the page, and you're making people pay for them, so I figured you were hosting them yourself on the site.

Edit:

I just noticed you said full episodes, well I really don't think it matters whether it's clips (which basically make up nearly the whole show anyways), or a full uninterrupted episode, either way it's copyright infringement just the same as YouTube and the torrents.
Closed Thread