Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #31
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by SPEEDKILLAR
Lol, why fight, when we all know the dutch(netherlands) are the cheapest fuckers out there
touché
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #32
TopGearNL
Regular User

Lol, why fight, when we all know the dutch(netherlands) are the cheapest fuckers out there
You think your annoying me?

Your not because Im British, and you know what? Your right!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #33
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL

WTF are you talking about :shock: :roll: And who cares :roll:

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #34
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL

WTF are you talking about :shock: :roll: And who cares :roll:
WTF? I agree with you and you are still giving me shit? :shock:

I thought you said that the dutch were the cheapest to annoy me, but Im not dutch Im british. Then I said you were right so why the hateful response? :roll:
Old 04-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #35
saadie
Regular User

hes just proved hes a dickhead .. .

no offence to anyone

back to topic ....

i dont like audi anymore
Old 04-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #36
rusrocket
Regular User

thank god for the absence of the multi-color "side blades." haha i cant believe they call them side blades
rusrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:23 PM   #37
Skaala
Regular User

Old 05-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #38
chest3r
Regular User

^^ right!! But that's the only difference I can see, too.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:21 PM   #39
Skaala
Regular User

not easy to tell, but there may be twin intercoolers in the vents under the headlights
Old 06-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #40
blue8
Regular User

Isn't the V10 R8 the RS8?? I wouldn't know actually...

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #41
Bernardo
Regular User

Is the R8 still getting the TDI version?If It is, and If the V10 version gets called RS8..than what will be called the TDI one?

I really hope for the TDI, such a brutal car that would be.
Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #42
Schwalbe

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
IMO they should keep the R8 name for all the engine variants - but the RS8 can be indeed problematinc since there's the S8 already. R8RS is a bit too complicated... so I'd say that the best solution is to use the name of the concept for the flagship model: the Audi R8 Le Mans, with the biturbo V10 and over 600hp. Now that would be great!!

As for the TDI, yep... there was an article talking about it. And I quite like the idea 8)
I have no problem also to see a future torque monster Audi R8 TDI in the R8 range.

I also approach in the same direction as you Dani concerning the name "RS8" which could carry some confusion with other Audi models. The name of the Audi LeMans quattro concept car from Frankfurt 2003 carshow was so nice and very evocative from the history of Audi at Le Mans. I will like very much that Audi AG. takes this LeMans name for the Über version of the R8 V10, but the biturbo engine like the concept car was too damn good for the production car...I always hope that they will reconsider their decision and put two turbos on this V10 engine.
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #43
blue8
Regular User

From Car & Driver:
Those familiar with VW/Audi’s naming conventions know TDI is the acronym for Turbocharged Direct Injection, the German automaker’s revolutionary diesel power plant that made its debut back in 1990 in the form of an inline five-cylinder powering the Audi 100 Wagon. So the next question is, “An R8 with a diesel?!” In short, yes.

Sources say Audi has a diesel-powered R8 in the works, and we’d like to think they’re right. As far as cutting-edge diesel technology goes, Audi’s one of the best in the biz. Its latest demonstration of spark-plugless prowess came in the form of the R10 TDI race car, winning its very first race at the 12 Hours of Sebring as well as the infamous 24 Hours of Le Mans and the Petit Le Mans. So who better to make a diesel exotic?

The bigger question—especially for us in the U.S.—is why would Audi want to put a diesel in a car that already is so good in its present form? We know, clean diesels have proven they are for more than big pickups and school buses. Europeans swear by them. They would give up anything to pay a measly $3.45 a gallon like we do, while our low gas prices over the years prevented diesels’ torquey richness from being brought to the U.S.

We realize European buyers with $110,000-plus for an R8 TDI are not counting the change in their piggy banks for gas money. So, we suspect that it’s an image thing, or that they are addicted to the torque.

Good, Bad, and Impractical

This brings us to the next question: Which engine would Audi use in an R8 TDI? While there are a mess of TDI powerplants to choose from, rumors and our educated guesswork narrows it down to three possible choices. Consider them the good, the bad, and the ridiculously impractical.

All three powerplants can be found in the Audi Q7 SUV. First, the good: the 4.2 TDI V-8 which makes a solid 326 horsepower backed by 561 pound-feet of torque. Next, the bad: the 3.0 TDI V-6 that puts down a very sub-exotic 233 horsepower, although it makes its fair share of torque at 369 pound-feet. Last, and certainly not least as far as sheer power goes, is the ridiculously impractical 5.9 TDI V-12 influenced by our aforementioned friend, the R10 race car. This beast lays out a mind-numbing 493 horsepower and 738 pound-feet of torque.

So naturally our choice would be the 5.9 TDI right? Unfortunately, just as reality strikes us each week when our paychecks arrive, so does it remind us of practicality, and the 5.9 TDI ain’t that. It’s far too heavy for a sports application such as the R8, not to mention with that kind of power Audi may be overstepping its bounds with subsidiary Lamborghini. What a shame. We really wanted to see a car that would literally break your neck under acceleration.

On the flip-side, the 3.0 TDI V-6 seems a little anemic for an exotic—233 horsepower would only cut it in something as light as the Ariel Atom, but at 3500 pounds, the R8 isn’t what we’d call ‘slim and trim’. Torque numbers aside, the 3.0 TDI falls short. So, two down now, one to go.

Our Final Answer

That leaves the 4.2 TDI V-8 as the obvious choice. Making only 22 percent less power than the current gasoline powered 4.2-liter found in the R8, it would produce a whopping 77 percent more torque! That’s 77 percent more force throwing you back into the seat when you hit the throttle, and maybe even 77 percent more fun. In the gasoline R8, the 317 lb-ft of peak torque hit high at 4500 rpm. In contrast, a 4.2 TDI V-8 R8 would make 561 lb-ft starting at 1800 rpm all the way to 2500 rpm. Now that’s what we call low-end grunt.

The 4.2 TDI propels the Audi Q7 from 0-to-62 mph in a claimed 6.4 seconds—and that’s an SUV. Factor in better gearing, less weight, and more grip and you start to get a feel for what the R8 4.2 TDI would be capable of. In addition, the diesel engine weighs less than 600 pounds, which isn’t too bad for a car on a diet.

Oh, and we can’t forget about the gas mileage. According to our estimates using the Q7 as our guidepost, the EPA fuel economy of an R8 4.2 TDI would jump from 14 mpg to 17 mpg—a 22 percent increase. Whether you use those extra 3 mpg for a few more sessions at your local track or avoid a stop en route to the country club, the choice is yours. As for getting the golf clubs in the car, you’re on your own.

So that’s our story and we’re sticking to it, at least for now. We are comforted knowing that, in the interim, we should see a Lamborghini Gallardo sourced V-10 in the R8-RS on our side of the pond. So, we figure we’re gonna be winners either way.

In other Audi news(from WCF):
Do not adjust your monitor, you have read this right. According to Auto Motor und Sport, Audi have unofficially confirmed 3 mouth watering models in the Audi A3 Cabrio, A5 Cabrio and possibly best of all the R8 Targa.

The production of the A3 is set to commence in 2008 in Hungary, which means it must be well into development and around 23,000 units well be produced each year.

In 2009 the Audi A5 Cabrio Production will commence with around 28,000 units set to be produced in Neckarsulm.

This will be closely followed by the Audi R8 Roadster whch will be named Targa. Production should start in spring 2008.

You can guarantee WCF will send out its army of spy photographers looking for glimpses of the 3 new cars, so watch this space.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #44
blue8
Regular User

Top Gear News:
R8 won't go diesel

In the wake of another victory for Audi's diesel R8 at Le Mans last weekend, rumours abound that the German manufacturer is planning to slot one of its oil burners into the R8 supercar.

But don't believe it. According to Kate Dixon, spokeswoman for Audi UK, no diesel powerplant will physically fit into the R8's engine bay.

"There's no chance of the R8 getting a diesel," said Dixon. "There's just not enough space to fit it in."

However, it seems much more likely that the R8's current 4.2-litre unit will be joined by another, more powerful petrol engine - most likely a 5.0-litre V10 - early next year.

Audi's 2005 Le Mans concept, which spawned the R8, was powered by a 5.0-litre biturbo engine producing 610bhp. It dispatched 0-60mph in under four seconds and had a top speed of 214mph.

And don't forget that the Lambo Gallardo - the R8's sister car - is powered by a 520bhp V10. Now that's a shootout we'd like to see.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:04 PM   #45
blue8
Regular User

How the R8 V10 might look like:

Hardly any differences... As for its name, R10 would be perfect!

We’ve seen the prototypes testing at the Nurburgring and read about the Lambo-sourced V10 engine. Now, we finally get a glimpse of what the final production version of the RS-prepped Audi R8 should look like. The current V8 model is already impressive enough to compete with Porsche’s best and can even give its Gallardo cousin a run for its money, but with a V10 powerplant on board developing around 500hp, the new RS version of the R8 will be in another league altogether.

Key differences between the V10 model and the regular R8 are the larger air intakes along the sides. The trademark side blades will be sculpted to form the larger opening, while pumped rear guards emphasize the larger ten-cylinder powerplant.

Whether or not the new model will be called an RS is still undetermined. Other names that have been suggested include ‘R8-S’, similar to the sporty TT variants, or ‘R10’ to denote the new engine as well as allude to Audi’s diesel Le Mans racer.

To ensure that the new model doesn’t tread on the toes of the much more exclusive Gallardo, Lamborghini is expected to upgrade the baby supercar to maintain a performance buffer.