Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #31
Shinigami
Regular User

There have been some cases of CF bonnets shattering when you drop them from too high when you close the hood.

CF is very tough, but it's sudden hard shocks and jolts that may cause damage to the material, especially in something that is in the form of a hood, i.e. long, bolted in corners near the windscreen and has to connect at the front via a hook and lock.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #32
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinigami
I think that looks pretty good with the red and black (I'm a big fan of red/black combos for things in general).

So how much is the price? $600-800 (US)?
it doesn't look bad.... but nearly every CF hood i've been near has had terrible panel gaps on one side, and nearly scratching the paint on the other... if its even on both sides, do it IMO

oh, and the price is a steal.... be careful, as unpainted CF tends to lose its clear coat on the edges pretty easily
Old 06-02-2006, 12:44 PM   #33
TT
Regular User

Ok, especially if it has the same exact design as the stock item, I think you should buy it.

As for the idea of keeping a red scoop, might be quite interesting but not sure it will be better than full cf.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:53 PM   #34
TeflonTron
Regular User

Do it, but only if you get something CF at the back of the car to give a theme to the car, and a nice balance.
TeflonTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #35
saadie
Regular User

^^ a roof scoop ? ....
Old 06-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #36
T-Bird
Regular User

what I've seen before and I think is sweet is to get the front mount at the same time and turn the scoop backwards as a sort of heat vent I've seen it on a few Very powerful scooby's and have loved it.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #37
Daggernite
Regular User

A WRX definatly needs the scoop. Go fully carbon man, dont get the red scoop on the CF it would look odd imo.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:38 AM   #38
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
what I've seen before and I think is sweet is to get the front mount at the same time and turn the scoop backwards as a sort of heat vent I've seen it on a few Very powerful scooby's and have loved it.
This is just weird either those cars had the intercooler moved somewhere else where to get fresh air, either I don't see why you should suck air away from it instead of trying to drag more fresh one directly on it
Old 06-03-2006, 04:35 AM   #39
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Originally Posted by T-Bird
This is just weird either those cars had the intercooler moved somewhere else where to get fresh air, either I don't see why you should suck air away from it instead of trying to drag more fresh one directly on it
yes thats what he meant by "front mount", the intercooler is mounted at the front behind the bumper and gets air that way - so the top mount 'cooler (standard) is removed hence no need for the scoop so to speak.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:30 AM   #40
TT
Regular User

Ok ok sorry the misunderstanding. Now of course I am puzzled: if you mount the intercooler at the front, using the main bumper's air intake to feed it with air, what about the air flow that usually flows through it? I mean: is the engine cooled down just by the top intake (where the Sube logo is)? Where does the lower's opening air go?

Someway I think that, if a manufacturer place the intercooler on the top of the engine, there must be a reason
Old 06-03-2006, 06:38 AM   #41
Shinigami
Regular User

TT: it's probably just cosmetic. It could also be due to the size of the engine. For example, Porsche engines take up a lot of horizontal space, but not much vertical space. I think I read that Subaru engines are similar. This means there's space on top of the engine for the intercooler, meaning that they reduce weight from the very front of the car so as to eliminate some of the problems you get in, for example an Audi, where the engines are so far out at the front that the handling of the car is adversely affected.

Just speculation, pretty sure Dingo has more knowledge about his car
Old 06-03-2006, 06:59 AM   #42
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Advantages
- The TMIC may be placed close to the turbocharger and/or supercharger compressor and to the engine's intake. As a result, the intake tubing can be kept short. The longer the path from the intercooler to the engine, the more air must be pressurised within the hoses when a change in pressure is demanded - and the greater the lag imposed. When used in combination with quick-spooling turbochargers, such as ball bearing turbochargers, the result is a more responsive engine.

Disadvantages
- Heat from the engine may be conducted through to the intercooler, usually while trying to escape through an open hood vent. Because of this; hot, cramped or poorly ducted engine bays (commonly the case with rotary engines) do not fair well from TMICs.
- TMICs tend to be less efficient than similarly sized front mount intercoolers, due to the smaller amount of cold air flow through the hood scoop compared to the grille in most car designs.

The air passing through an FMIC (front mounted intercooler) is still sufficient to cool the radiator behind it.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:02 AM   #43
TT
Regular User

Thanks Martijn
Old 06-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #44
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo
Advantages
- The TMIC may be placed close to the turbocharger and/or supercharger compressor and to the engine's intake. As a result, the intake tubing can be kept short. The longer the path from the intercooler to the engine, the more air must be pressurised within the hoses when a change in pressure is demanded - and the greater the lag imposed. When used in combination with quick-spooling turbochargers, such as ball bearing turbochargers, the result is a more responsive engine.
exactly, the turbo in the WRX is mounted at the back (on the left, drivers side) hence the placement of the intercooler.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #45
666fast
Regular User

Hmmm, well, your car already looks great and that will continue if you paint it.

Since you already have black heels, I think it would look good if you left it black as well!

I'm really helpfull huh?

I definately would not paint just the scoop red, it would look ridiculous IMO.

If you do leave it black, at least get it clearcoated or use that clear bra stuff. I don't know if you've seen scratched CF hoods, but it's very distracting and makes it look a hell of a lot worse!
Also, if you leave it black, get black wing mirrors and see about having the inside of the headlights housings tinted. I think it would look good!

Can you use the factory hood latch with this hood? I personally hate how hoodpins look on most cars.

As for them shattering, it can happen, I've seen it. Just because it's CF, doesn't mean it's strong. Cf's strength relies entirely upon how it's made. The cheaper it is, the less strength it's probably going to have. A friend of mine is in college for composite materials engineeering. He told me of a test they did to show how the resin and the fiber weaving can make a difference in strength. They made two foot long strips by about an inch wide. I forget the numbers, but one was over twice as strong as the other.