Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: BMW E36 M3
subzero 16 17.39%
cool 47 51.09%
uncool 20 21.74%
seriously uncool 9 9.78%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #16
sikx5
Regular User

Its a cool car, and it doesnt attract that much unwanted attention, easy to drive when you want to, and has a bit of poke when you feel like it

I'll try find this british magazine review, which has the e30, e36 and e46 up against it each, and they found the E36 to be the best handeling out of the three, the most neautral and balanced.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:25 AM   #17
Mattk
Regular User

A perfect car to drive around to nightclubs.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:53 AM   #18
iraghava
Regular User

Have to agree with Dani due to the E30 & E46 being so good it ends up being uncool and yeah now that you look at it, it looks pretty ordinary.
It simply doesn't have any of the agression and appeal of either the E30 or the E46 and as far as press reviews go it isn't as good to drive either.

Reality is just an illusion caused by a lack of Alcohol. - Sir Johnny Walker

Senator Hillary Clinton called for President Bush to begin pulling troops out of Iraq next year. And let me tell you something, when it comes to telling a president when to pull out, no one has more experience than Hillary Clinton. - Jay Leno
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:25 AM   #19
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by iraghava
Have to agree with Dani due to the E30 & E46 being so good it ends up being uncool and yeah now that you look at it, it looks pretty ordinary.
It simply doesn't have any of the agression and appeal of either the E30 or the E46 and as far as press reviews go it isn't as good to drive either.
Okay, I don't know about the Euro version, but I have never heard ONE BAD review about the US E36 M3 with its S50/S52 engine pumping out ONLY 240hp. With regards to its drive, many have had said it is more direct, more communicative than the E46 and only behind the E30. In my opinion, the E46 feels a bit damp.

And two great cars before and after it doesn't make this car uncool.

By the way, yes, I do own one.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #20
nthfinity
Regular User

uncool for me.

the powerplant just seems lacking compared with the huge jump it recieved with the E46....

the looks aren't classic by any means... and have become quite dated.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #21
LotusGT1
Regular User

The E36 M3 had 286 hp (eurospec) from the start and a whopping 321hp later. A mere 22hp less than the heavier E46.

LOL@the powerplant lacking. That's bullshit. Even the US-spec M3 had a 0-60 acceleration under 6 seconds. That was fucking serious performance. Faster than the RX-8 in your signature f.e.

It was BY FAR the best sports sedan/coupe to have in that class during the period it was produced. I even think the gap with competition was larger than with the E46. The M3 was judged The Best Handling Car in America by the editors of Car and Driver.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:09 PM   #22
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

a very cool car IMO.. i just love the e36s.. and what could be better then the M3! what a great car! 8)

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:28 PM   #23
Global Warming
Regular User

Uncool. It just has too much of a fan boy base. It’s a great car, looks good, wonderful in every way but it’s an M3. Too many fan boys and I would still choose other cars over it for its price tag or less.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:43 PM   #24
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
The E36 M3 had 286 hp (eurospec) from the start and a whopping 321hp later. A mere 22hp less than the heavier E46.

LOL@the powerplant lacking. That's bullshit. Even the US-spec M3 had a 0-60 acceleration under 6 seconds. That was fucking serious performance. Faster than the RX-8 in your signature f.e.

It was BY FAR the best sports sedan/coupe to have in that class during the period it was produced. I even think the gap with competition was larger than with the E46. The M3 was judged The Best Handling Car in America by the editors of Car and Driver.
5.5 Secs in the US Spec.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:28 PM   #25
ZfrkS62
Regular User

it looks pretty ordinary
Sleepers are half the fun though especially in the sedan trim

It just has too much of a fan boy base
What high powered sports car doesn't? especially in the attainable segment. I dont see how you can call a car uncool because of the late fanbase it attaracts.

For that matter, how can you detract points by comparing it to it's descendant? You can't retro engineer something to be greater to it's successor. That would be like saying the F40 was uncool because it can't hang with the Enzo.

and have become quite dated
That's the funny thing about time though. Everything starts looking dated. The only way to make something not look dated over time, would be to constatnly change it's look. Just not possible.

With regards to its drive, many have had said it is more direct, more communicative than the E46 and only behind the E30. In my opinion, the E46 feels a bit damp.
Yes, the E46 was overdampend and underspung. The steering is alot heavier in the E36, but imo has better feel. It's easier to catch when stepping out, but the shifts are tighter on the E46 which i like alot. The feel is just alot sportier. But yet again, that's age talking. the shift bushings on most E36's are worn giving it a sloppy feel.

But to say that the E36 is underpowered? Remember, the mid 90's were hardly the power wars, so 240 (US) was alot considering alot of companies were still recovering from the scramble of conforming to ODB emissions compliancy which ended up choking cars and destroying their potential power (late 80's Camaros with 305ci V8's weren't even making 200hp). IIRC, even the C4 Corvettes were putting down fairly low numbers with exception of the GrandSport ZR1 engine which was devloped with Lotus and put out by Mercury Marine. So really, the E36 M3 was a breath of fresh air into a choking market segment. The E30 M3 though really didn't have it's legendary status then, so at the time, the idea of the M3 getting an inline 6 over a 4 was as incredible as the E60 M5 getting a V10 over it's predecessor's V8.

now the E46 retaining the inline 6 but achieving the 100hp/L mark, natually aspirated mind you, was the next huge landmark, especially considering that it's capable of running with a car that as another 1.8L and 2 cylinders (E39 M5). But again, i don't see how you can fault the E36 for falling short of a car that was on the drawing board while it was on the production line.

Now that i am done rambling on, i voted cool.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #26
Global Warming
Regular User

What high powered sports car doesn't? especially in the attainable segment. I dont see how you can call a car uncool because of the late fanbase it attaracts.

For that matter, how can you detract points by comparing it to it's descendant? You can't retro engineer something to be greater to it's successor. That would be like saying the F40 was uncool because it can't hang with the Enzo.
Well I don’t know any other "high powered sports car" that has a fan base quite like the M3! Not even close. Its like ever single kid anywhere on earth that has ever modified a Honda product by default must worship the M3! LOL The M3 fan boy base is pretty much as bad as it gets. Sorry all M3s are uncool because of this.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 AM   #27
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by Global Hemisphere

Well I don’t know any other "high powered sports car" that has a fan base quite like the M3! Not even close. Its like ever single kid anywhere on earth that has ever modified a Honda product by default must worship the M3! LOL The M3 fan boy base is pretty much as bad as it gets. Sorry all M3s are uncool because of this.
So by that sentiment, you think all European sports cars are uncool right? Even Japanese sports cars like the Supra and WRX are uncool because of their followers?

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:31 AM   #28
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62

With regards to its drive, many have had said it is more direct, more communicative than the E46 and only behind the E30. In my opinion, the E46 feels a bit damp.
Yes, the E46 was overdampend and underspung. The steering is alot heavier in the E36, but imo has better feel. It's easier to catch when stepping out, but the shifts are tighter on the E46 which i like alot. The feel is just alot sportier. But yet again, that's age talking. the shift bushings on most E36's are worn giving it a sloppy feel.

now the E46 retaining the inline 6 but achieving the 100hp/L mark, natually aspirated mind you, was the next huge landmark, especially considering that it's capable of running with a car that as another 1.8L and 2 cylinders (E39 M5). But again, i don't see how you can fault the E36 for falling short of a car that was on the drawing board while it was on the production line.

Now that i am done rambling on, i voted cool.
Exactly, only down fault in my view is the shifter, a OE M Roadster/Coupe shifter would rectify that. Otherwise than that one point it is a GREAT drive.

I would like "iraghava" to show me reviews that said the E36 drive sucks. I have yet to see one.

Agreed, I don't understand how people are comparing this car to the E46. So like I said earilier, just because those are great cars doesn't make the E36 a bad car.

The E36 stepped up and fill the shoes of the E30 admirably.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #29
LotusGT1
Regular User

I hate it when people make their judgement on bullshit arguments. If you don't like it, fine, but quit coming up with wrong "facts".

From an objective point of view the E36 M3 was impressive, VERY impressive.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:15 PM   #30
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
Originally Posted by Global Hemisphere

So by that sentiment, you think all European sports cars are uncool right? Even Japanese sports cars like the Supra and WRX are uncool because of their followers?
Nope. You don’t seem to understand what I keep saying. The M3 has a worse ridicules fan boy base than any other car! Maybe not where you live but they do here. The M3 fan boy base is like 100 times more than the WRX or even the Supra.

Like I keep saying, as far as I'm concerned the M3 has the single worst fan boy base of any car on earth. The only other car that comes even close to a similar fan boy base, but still no where near as bad, is the NSX. And in true Clarkson style I don’t care if you agree with me or not, the M3 is uncool and I will just keep moving it higher up and out of your reach on my own personal cool wall

P.S. that would actually be an interesting thread; Worst Fan Boy Cars!

Like I just said the M3 would be the hands down winner of the #1 spot. But the NSX, Lexus IS- GS 300-400 what ever the hell car that is that everyone thinks is so cool, 350Z, Supra, etc. etc. would all be great candidates for the top 10