Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-10-2004, 12:45 AM   #1
deth
Regular User

Default Lab quiz tomorrow! need diesel engine help!

hey i need help!!! i have a thermodynamics lab test tomorrow and i dont understand how a diesel engine is able to increase its rpms. i know that the intake volume is constant, so is there just more fuel injected in order to increase rpm? if this is the case is the engine always running in a lean condition other than at maximum rpm?
Old 02-10-2004, 12:53 AM   #2
asthenia
Regular User

I don't know the correct answer, but wouldn't any engine with more torque than internal drag be able to increase RPM's?

That is, if the movement of the internals uses 4lb/ft, and the engine produces 350lb/ft, then there's loads of extra energy to increase rotational speed.

Or did I misunderstand the question?
asthenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:00 AM   #3
deth
Regular User

umm sorta....firstly its not torque that would make the engine speed increase, its horsepower. all fuel has a measurement of its potential power usually in BTU/lbm. therefore we know that for a given amount of fuel injected into the cylinder we'll get a net work output of the potential energy/lbm * x lbm that is injected. so if a certain engine speed is desired one need to input a certain amout of fuel. this can only be done up to a point know as the stoichiometric ratio because the volume of air in teh cylinder is constant. after this point teh engine runs rich which means that more fuel is injected than combusted and therefore the work out remains the same as at teh stoichiometric point and the engine will come to equilibrium not not accelerate any further.

so to restate my question; is a diesel engine always running in a lean condition other than at maximum rpm?
Old 02-10-2004, 01:09 AM   #4
gto625
Regular User

Not sure of the correct answer either, but good luck with the test deth... I hate those things..
gto625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:18 AM   #5
brijoel
Regular User

diesel motor workings

i read through to make sure it wil answer your questions and then some.

1994 Gen II engine, 1996 close ratio tranny, CT20b turbo, ARC Intake, 1996 gen 3 ecu, HKS Super Sequential Blowoff Valve, HKS 43mm Boost Gauge, Greddy Dual PE Exhaust,Greddy Turbo Timer, Greddy Profec B boost controller(12 psi normal, 17 psi high~fuel cut is 18~) , Greddy Intercooler, Manjit IC Fan Shroud, Spal 7.5" Puller Fan, Ceramic Coated Turbo Heat Shield and Intercooler Piping, Bilstein Struts, Eibach Sportline Springs, Suspension Technique Sway Bars, GAB Strut Tower Bar, KAAZ LSD, Supra TT Fuel Pump and 540cc gen 3 injectors, 16" GAB Sport wheels, Yokohama AVS ES100 205/45/16 & 225/45/16, Powerslot rotors and EBC red stuff pads in front, and stock rear.

~phew~
brijoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:23 AM   #6
nchs09

^^^ good job man! i liked the link. intresting
Old 02-10-2004, 01:33 AM   #7
deth
Regular User

thanx for the link, but it didnt address the lean/rich issue i'm looking for.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:49 AM   #8
Vansquish
Regular User

I dont' know for 100% sure, but I believe that Diesel engines, like most other IC engines run lean in steady-state conditions, but go rich as you wish to accelerate. Your statement that the volume of air in the cylinder is not necessarily accurate either. Many diesels are TD's, so there is a different volume of air forced into the combustion chamber during heavy throttle applications. I know for gasoline, stoich is achieved at 14.7 to 1, so that is what manufacturers strive to set their steady-state conditions to. Under heavy throttle applications, the air/fuel ratio generally dips to around 11.7-12.2 to 1 with a significant increase in emissions and unburnt fuel. Even though the combustion process in a diesel is a bit different, I would imagine that in terms of stoichiometry and volumetric efficiency, they are set up much the same way as IC gasoline engines. (That's kind of a long-winded and not very good answer, but I think it sort of reaffirms what you're asking.)

Hope it helped

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:51 AM   #9
deth
Regular User

yup, u're right....PennFSAE just PMed me with a simialr answer....i'm tired, its late, all leading to me being an idiot, but thanx to all that helped!
Old 02-10-2004, 02:13 AM   #10
graywolf624
Regular User

They just add more diesel. A diesel engine is unthrottled.
Besides the energy content of diesel being higher then gas this is yet another reason why diesel tends to be more efficient. Gasoline engines tend to run rich at idle as opposed to a diesel engine which doesn't.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:14 PM   #11
corvette97
Regular User

ur gonna get fucked!! but good luck man, i just know jack shit about diesel eng.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:27 PM   #12
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
So when I floor it in a disel more fuel is injected, instead of the valves opening more?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:24 PM   #13
graywolf624
Regular User

yessum...

An interesting thing to note. Diesel engines do not enging brake(well unless you count the drivetrain losses.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:29 PM   #14
deth
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Originally Posted by graywolf624
So when I floor it in a disel more fuel is injected, instead of the valves opening more?
so are you're saying that the diesel engine is always running a lean mixture unless its a max throttle?
Old 02-11-2004, 12:08 AM   #15
graywolf624
Regular User

so are you're saying that the diesel engine is always running a lean mixture unless its a max throttle?
I guess.(makes sense given the above facts) I'm not an me or a diesel engine person. I only know what I've read and observed. Particularly I had a class in economics of the environment which touched from a high level the benefits of diesel over gas. I also read an article in road and track and some internet stuff.

I'll find you a link if you want... but itd prolly just be something off google since the road and track article wasnt posted online.