Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 07-09-2004, 08:04 AM   #1
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Default The best Lancia driver ever in rallying

Once Lancia has a very long story, and stay in rallying.......for me alongside Ford, its the make which have added more charisma, passion, and for me its an institution of rallying as ferrari is in the formula 1...and once lancia has been driven almost by every world rally champion during the lancia stay in the rallying championship....id like to get from other members which driver has been the most successful ever for the make in terms of performances, the improvement of the car........

There we go with my list

Performances......1st Henry Toivonen, 2nd and Walter Rohrl, 3rd Juha Kankkunen, 4th Carlos Sainz, Andrea Aghini

there we go my reasons of this classifications ....Henry Toivonen...just for being the only driver to be capable of fighting, and wining against a quite superior team to lancia in every sense

Walter Rohrl.......just because he was mostly capable of achieving to get Lancia to the world champion of manufacturers with a rear wheel drive car(Lancia 037) against the 4 wheel drive cars, when these cars where reliable, competitive, and drivers were used to the driving of this kind of car in that period

Kankkunen.....he has been very difficult to be beaten almost always when challenging, and he was almost unbeatable during his stay on lancia from 1987 to 1992(he stayed in Toyota part of 1988, the whole 1989, 1990), regardless he wasnt the first driver of Lancia as long as was a Lancia driver

Sainz and Aghini.....although Sainz has been his worst year ever in Lancia.......he was capable of doing many scratch and fight against other manufacturers mostly at the beginning of 1993 with a one year old Lancia(a year older car against the rival means an obsolete car)...Aghini.....a young and inexperienced driver in the world championship, in a 4x4 turbo GrA car, on gravel.....and get similar times on race to Kankkunen, Auriol.......its far enough for me to point Aghini as high as I pointed

Lets see what other members think
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote