Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 02-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #31
black_magician
Regular User

max needs to make up his mind. he talks about cost containment, but then he proposes these radical changes. there's no way to be very cost effective with these new technologies and keep the independent teams competitive. personally, I think max just ran out of his medication, when he gets it refilled, this will dissapear.
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #32
sau_mathur
Regular User

Something i was wondering someone could enlighten me about was...ive heard that the v8's rev more than v10s...how come?? They say that the v8 can rev to 20,000 rpm compared to the 18000 by the v10s. I always thought that the v10 was a more stable configuration and could therefore rev more...and the v8 causes major vibrations, so revs cant be that high..!!

So how come the v8 revs more than the v10?? anyone got ne ideas?
sau_mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #33
McLaren4eVa
Regular User

Originally Posted by sau_mathur
Something i was wondering someone could enlighten me about was...ive heard that the v8's rev more than v10s...how come?? They say that the v8 can rev to 20,000 rpm compared to the 18000 by the v10s. I always thought that the v10 was a more stable configuration and could therefore rev more...and the v8 causes major vibrations, so revs cant be that high..!!

Im not sure but i think its something to do with the smaller displacement of the engines but the old V10s could acheive 19000 and the new v8s can do 20000 so not much of a difference. Damn why couldnt they stick with the V10s if maz wanted to save money and cut the speeds he should have just restricted the engines to put out 850-900BHP that way manufacterers wouldn't have spent 10s of millions investing in the new V8, what formula 1 needs is stability and that will never happen because of that stupid prick changing the rules every year. Yes he has done things to improve f1 like HANS system without R. Schumacher could have been injured extremley badly in 04 at indy and the idea of teathers eing used to keep the tyres on the car like at 05 nurburgring when kimis suspension went that tyre could have flew in the air and maybe have hit the crowd so yes he has some good days but the rest of the days are just bullshit!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #34
SafirXP
Regular User

my thoughts...

1. V8s should obviously run much hotter so more emphasis on cooling
2. since it isn't as balanced as a V10, there'll be more vibrations...

no matter how close the races are now i'd prefer watching the early days of GP racing!
SafirXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:29 AM   #35
bmagni
Regular User

i prefer the sound of V10... by far better...
lap times and that isn't that important to me, as long as races are competitive and fun to watch, i dont care much about the race
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:32 AM   #36
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by sau_mathur

Less mass to rotate, less stresses on the components, higher revs. Plus frictional effects will be less because of less components.

They will also run cooler - less cylinders, less power, less heat
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #37
jasc
Regular User

^^ Won't there be more heat at the same power?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #38
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by jasc
^^ Won't there be more heat at the same power?
All else being equal, no
Old 03-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #39
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

Do they still show that rev-counter on the on-board cameras? If so, what are the max revs the new V8 achieves?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:16 PM   #40
Cockrocket
Regular User

Well i know that the Cosworth V8 revvs up to 20,000 rpm but that is like the most powerful engine on the grid! Not sure about the rest prob the same as the v10's around 19,000

The Best is the Best...but their is always someone Better!
Cockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #41
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by Cockrocket
Well i know that the Cosworth V8 revvs up to 20,000 rpm but that is like the most powerful engine on the grid! Not sure about the rest prob the same as the v10's around 19,000
actually i think renault has the most power. cosies just spin higher

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #42
mindgam3
Regular User

According to F1 magazine, the Cossie is the most powerful to - based on testing figures.

F1 engines get all their power from revs, I wouldnt be suprised if the Cosworth is the most powerful at the moment - this may change later in the season
Old 07-30-2006, 05:12 PM   #43
dash

Originally Posted by exhausted mules
to be honest with you i prefer the sound of the v8.

it sounds more defined. you can hear the individual cylinders better... especially on the downshift and throtle off.

sure, the v10 has the scream and high pitch. but the v8 has a howl and fierceness to it.

kinda like the difference between a muscle car... and a honda civic.

well.

you get it.
Say what?! It sounds like a piece of shit. There's no screaming in that sound, sound like a fucking radio controled toy car. All those idiots from FIA responsible for those moronic restrictions should be burned to the ground.
dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #44
rave426
Regular User

Now, now. Dont be harsh. They dont deserve being burned to the ground.

Look at it this way. Everytime they put restrictions on the F1 engines, it makes the teams dig deeper into their research and testing to develop better engines. This research in turn, gives us more powerful, reliable, and efficient road car engines.

Truthfully, if it wasnt for F1 and the advances it is has made over the years, we may....just may not have been graced by the production of the glorious V10 in the M5/M6.

Heck if it wasnt for Rally restrictions on engines, would you think the Evo and STI road cars would be so good?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:58 AM   #45
rave426
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmw06m6
Originally Posted by rave426
Now, now. Dont be harsh. They dont deserve being burned to the ground.

Look at it this way. Everytime they put restrictions on the F1 engines, it makes the teams dig deeper into their research and testing to develop better engines. This research in turn, gives us more powerful, reliable, and efficient road car engines.

Truthfully, if it wasnt for F1 and the advances it is has made over the years, we may....just may not have been graced by the production of the glorious V10 in the M5/M6.

Heck if it wasnt for Rally restrictions on engines, would you think the Evo and STI road cars would be so good?

I disagree, if you have fewer restrictions, and let them build WHATEVER kind of engines they want, Ferrari would be selling 16.4 engines in the new F450 ? With thousands of horses, and tons of power. Now that’s competition.
Well I see your point, but I'm not sure if automotive technology is ready for a F1 cars with thousands of horsepower (assuming you do mean more than one thousand). Remember these cars weigh nothing, and they actually have brake and turn. If we were at the bonneville salt flats, then it wouldnt matter.

Put it like this, I think if there were no restrictions their would not be as many technilogical engine advancedments as there are today. Now im not saying carry it down to a V6, cause honestly I liked the V10's.

But if these teams all have V12's or larger and they have nothing to hold them back, then its all going to be about money and power. And honestly I like the fact that F1 is more about other automotive aspects other than power. I enjoy seeing a car outbrake another one after reaching 180mph. If these teams are forced to pull the most out of a V8, which will in time reach the old V10's then that technology can be applied to V10's and V12's, which makes them better.

Hell with no restrictions why not get a V12 bore that bitch out to backside and slap 6 turbos on it, why not get a heavier, stronger more heat resistant block *shrug* whats 50 added pounds compared to 400 more horsepower.

Well I glad it isnt like that, but I guess "to each his own"