Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > Top Gear UK - Episode Discussion

Old 12-27-2005, 05:37 PM   #16
Jabba
Regular User

3 features will be on the front page in the next couple of hours.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:43 PM   #17
Anonymous

Just realised the attempt to kill hammond for this series wasn't in it Still no complaints, especially on the comedy for this ep, david walliams was one of the best guests ever IMO.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:24 PM   #18
graywolf624
Regular User

^^Maybe they succeeded... lol
Old 12-27-2005, 06:35 PM   #19
Jabba
Regular User

Features are uploaded but I cant add them as none of the uploader links are working...I guess we will have to wait for Dan to come back online before I can add them...
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #20
antonioledesma
Regular User

^ don't worry. We can wait
and thanks in advance
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:21 PM   #21
sunnykw

lol I broked it
Old 12-27-2005, 09:35 PM   #22
antonioledesma
Regular User

you broke it??? how's that?
does that mean we won't have the TG episode tonight or what?
Old 12-27-2005, 09:36 PM   #23
Anonymous

wanna borrow my glasses? -----------> frontpage
Old 12-27-2005, 09:53 PM   #24
antonioledesma
Regular User

thanks AL... I knew about the uploaded features, but didn't get Dan's comment

Note to myself: must start to read all the topic AGAIN before posting something
Old 12-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #25
martin100
Regular User

^^^ So no Veyron lap on the circuit? :roll: But anyway it has to be the best series ever
martin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #26
stradale
Regular User

Crap, seem to have posted my review in the wrong thread... ops:

Right, here's my review.

Very nice touch to this christmas episode: the resident elf! LOL

BMW 130i vs VW Golf R32
They're no supercars, but still pretty exciting. The VW was off to a very quick start in the sprint, but the BMW gained on it. I think the Beemer even won, but JC said it was a dead heat. When he said one car was good and one was bad, I was thinking it had to be the VW to be the bad one. Soon after things weren't looking good for the BMW. Handling is great (nice slide BTW), but so is the VW's. And I agree it sounds fantastic. The price for a full spec 130i is ridiculous though. I don't even think it looks any better than the Golf, and that's no compliment coming from me. I think I would also choose the R32, but the Z4 alternative sounds even better. Oh no, the VW even crushed the 130 on the track! So now there's nothing the Beemer is better at. Ouch...

Battle of the generations
Nice idea, this. I'm not much of a fan of tweed and tea, but I hoped the Austin Healey club would win right from the start. When that pile of vomit that once was a Peugeot 306 rolled into view, I wanted the Sprite to win even more! GO Frogeye! All this crap stuff like dvd players, speakers, playstations and stupid suspension have nothing to do with motoring, let alone performance motoring. And I haven't even talked about the scissor doors, the interior trim and the awful spoilers yet! It's pathetic. It drove like shit too, which made me cheer. Yes! The Healey won!!

Star in a reasonably priced car
I know Little Britain, but the tabloid exposure of this David Walliams guy doesn't reach the other side of the channel. Good thing, because it's not very interesting watching someone clean bird poo off his car. LOL. I was LMAO when he and Jimmy Carr were mocking JC and for the first time he couldn't properly retort. Very funny! LOL @ "The Stig said you were the worst driver we ever had and the luckiest man alive." Walliams' previous attempts were much more fun than the full lap, spectacular stuff! He was prepared to sacrifice some cameramen. LOL

Mazda MX-5
The new one's arrived at TG! I can't see why they wouldn't be raving about it. It has always been good and so far I have not read anything than words of praise for it. Yes, the B-road is where it's at home. Nice roads they are too! "Crouching kitten hidden hippo" LOL This car's also great value for money! The race against the greyhound (which is FAST! :shock: ) made for nice TV, but it was rather pointless to be honest. The animal discussion about FWD, RWD and 4WD was a bit far-fetched, even by TG standards. Nevertheless, great car this new MX-5.

Awards
Some funny bits, like the reference to Hemel Hampstead and the Ford GT, James May winning the golden cock and the other categories they skipped. Always nice to see Sabine Schmitz driving as well. IMO the BMW 3-series as winner of the Ugliest car award was undeserved, the rest I could either live with or agree on.

Playstation vs Reality
JC picked a nice track for himself for this challenge... Jeez, that corkscrew is one mean motherfucker! Of course he was never going to beat his virtual laptime, but it was nice seeing in what ways the simulation differs from reality. Too bad the goodbye to the NSX got a bit snowed under. Jacques Villeneuve, yeah right! LOL He really did sound like a racing driver. Nice item though.

Thanks a lot for this episode! I can't believe the season's finished already... It's a long wait till spring.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:44 PM   #27
pagani
Regular User

R32 vs bmw 1 series was ok.
The ricer peugot vs austin Healey was boring like hell good the healey won.
Sorry i have to say but this episode was really boring execpt the nsx feature and the vw golf r32 vs bmw 1 series feature.
Why can't topgear invite a decent tuned car when they want to shoot a feature like the battle of genarations.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #28
Anonymous

Originally Posted by pagani
R32 vs bmw 1 series was ok.
The ricer peugot vs austin Healey was boring like hell good the healey won.
Sorry i have to say but this episode was really boring execpt the nsx feature and the vw golf r32 vs bmw 1 series feature.
Why can't topgear invite a decent tuned car when they want to shoot a feature like the battle of genarations.
well they didn't exactly invite a hugely tuned classic either But I agree they could have done it with better cars. Without all the stupid stereo equipment the crapbox would have probably won IMO, but my god was it horrible through the corners! Still everyone was rooting for the little frogeye and great to see it win. There are decent tuned cars, but unfortunately the tards with huge bodykits and stereos are far to prevelant in the UK. A well tuned mini with say 100bhp will easily beat most of the rude boys of course, especially through the corners, as that crapbox in the film illustated nicely, ruuude boys know nothing about setting up cars!
Old 01-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #29
graywolf624
Regular User

So right... last review of the year.. only im writing this in 2006.. I guess I operate on a business year or irs.. lol

BMW versus golf.
Badge versus image...
They prefer the golf, not a shock given how big top gear is into the golf. I agree the bmw is over priced for what it is, but neither is that great. I guess having no interest in this market taints my oppinon, but I wouldnt touch either one.

Star in a reasonably priced car was pretty funny. I don't know who this guy is, and it shocked me that Carr came out of the audience, but pretty entertaining. That being said, after seeing his lap Im convinced my earlier comments were true, that the car has changed slightly last few years... Cause that lap was alot worse then some of the first people on the show.

The ricer fversus the frog.. Poor choice in cars but I have to say it was entertaining to watch the sprite win. The poseur stereos car is just so typical that I weep for that generation..

The laguna seca piece was interesting if not a bit played out as everyone has had this type of feature. Of course clarkson wouldnt be able to match his time, he's not a great driver in the first place. The CorkScrew is damn fun in the game, I havent had the pleasure of being on track in that area of the country. It was well shot though.

Miata versus dog.. I can't help but wonder if it was better to do this with the car on a road track or with a awd car... The miatas a great car but it isn't an off road dirt track car. Still it looked fun to swing it around the track, as a light roadster of this type is. I guess really good from a viewing pleasure stand point, but lacking the substance..

Finally the car of the year awards.. Simply hilarious bit every year.. but Im disappointed he didnt tell us what the car with the best electric windows was....
Jks from throughout the year are present... But whats this, no whitening jk?

But still pie in the face and James running make an appearance as does Sabine.
Great bit of comedy.

Thanks again.. Time to wait for the next season.