Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 04-19-2004, 02:35 AM   #1
spitfire6000
Regular User

Default The Porsche Cayenne Turbo...love it or hate it?

Ive been noticing ever since the release of the cayenne that many people seem to hate it for one reason or the other, however ive never truly understood what was wrong with it.

"The Cayenne Turbo is powered by a 4.5-liter twin-turbo Cayenne V8. Maximum power of 450 hp is obtained at 6,000 rpm, preceded by 460 lb-ft of torque all the way from 2,250 to 4,750 rpm. With Tiptronic S, the Cayenne Turbo takes just 5.5 seconds to reach 62 mph with a top track speed of 165 mph." -from porsche.com

Technically, this is the fastest production SUV in the world. If you have seen the top gear episode where they actually test the turbo on both track and offroad you would see that it does in fact have porsche worth handling and performance. But along with that, it can also go completely offroad unlike many other sport-utes. And for once, a porsche interior is actually spacious and luxurious, while still prividing plenty of grip on the passengers.

Ive test driven the turbo personally, and all it feels like is a 911 on stilts. The suspension is still tight as a motherfcker, and although it cant handle exactly as well as a 911, it still beats most sports cars in its price range.

So what do u think is wrong with this car? Do you think porsche was wrong to introduce it into its lineup? Do you think the trend of sports car manufacturers making suvs will grow?
spitfire6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 02:40 AM   #2
DeMoN
Regular User

I think that its looks are wrong. And I also think this is a repost. TT sure will confirm =)
Old 04-19-2004, 02:56 AM   #3
crazidude
Regular User

To me, and quite a few others, the looks is what's wrong with the Cayenne. There's nothing wrong with the interior or the engine. I think those two things are rather beautiful, but the fact that it looks like crap puts me off. Even it's the fastest car in the world I don't think I'll like it much.

I don't think it was a bad I dea for Porsche to introduce an SUV. Porsche gave SUVs a new image, speed. The Cayenne goes a lot faster and probably handles better than quite a few sports cars, but still bein an SUV.

I don't think that making SUVs will be a trend considering the gas prices nowadays. Also, if another sport car manufactuer is to make an SUV it will need to be faster than the Cayenne to make a statement, which I think will be hard to do.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 07:51 AM   #4
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
I think that its looks are wrong. And I also think this is a repost. TT sure will confirm =)
Yes, quite old discussion..

But anyway, I love the Cayenne
Old 04-19-2004, 08:44 AM   #5
sikx5
Regular User

yet another ugly porsche
Old 04-19-2004, 09:13 AM   #6
PATo355
Regular User

Lovely

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:27 AM   #7
Porsche_Cayenne
Regular User

I love it :roll:
Old 04-19-2004, 10:21 AM   #8
callen
Regular User

i love it as well! but the styling leaves much to be desired....lets hope a MAJOR facelift is in the works for the next model year(or soon neways) otherwise this and the FX45 are the only SUVs id have in my fleet (and a Dodge Ram SRT10) 8)
Old 04-19-2004, 11:05 AM   #9
Drive4Ever
Regular User

i love the power, but still trying to get the look down
Drive4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:50 PM   #10
astonmartinandy
Regular User

I think the problem is that Porsche to me has "sold its soul" by making an SUV just trying to get the sales. I appreciate its better than the other SUVs or even "sporty" SUVs, but I think Porsche should have stuck with making 911s!
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 01:08 PM   #11
st-anger
Regular User

well, the Cayenne is more or less a daily driver for me due to my work at PAG, and i just love it

i think it´s feasible that i may write a full write-up some day about the Cayenne... 8)
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 01:15 PM   #12
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

First disliked it, but now love it more and more...

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 01:28 PM   #13
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by SPEEDKILLAR
First disliked it, but now love it more and more...
as i said b4, i´d love to invite some of you to Leipzig and take you out for a ride in a 955TT on our test track, and afterwards you´d DEFINITELY love it

it´s simply an amazing ride, and a true performer.....everyone who´s saying it´s not.......hasn´t driven one
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 01:40 PM   #14
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

^^^^Who knows, maybe someday some of us may go in to your invitation

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 02:26 PM   #15
Vansquish
Regular User

The thing that is wrong with the Cayenne is that it exists. Porsche is a sports car manufacturer, not an SUV maker. The fact that it has a 450bhp twin turbo V8 and is the fastest SUV on the planet is not enough to make up for the fact that it IS AN SUV and it has a slushbox with that engine to boot! Ahhhh yes...then there are the looks. It looks like a fish with braces from the front, it's slab-sided, and the rear end is just fat, nothing particularly interesting. Basically the only redeeming feature of the vehicle is the engine and the offroad capability, which no roadgoing Porsche should have. Granted, the 959 was raced in the Paris-Dakar Rally, and 911's have long competed in rallies, but the fact remains, they were all highly modified versions of the roadcars (the 959 rally car was almost an entirely different model), and the Cayenne is nothing but another ugly, gas-guzzling SUV for people with small penises.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote