Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 12-08-2004, 12:46 AM   #1
Minacious
Regular User

Default '05 Corvette Z51 vs '05 Porsche CS (Motor Trend Jan '05)

My January '05 issue of Motor Trend came in today so I scanned up an article to keep you entertained.

Old 12-08-2004, 01:23 AM   #2
SilviaEvo
Regular User

wow they are evenly matched but i might go for the Vette cuz A it is a drop top and goes just as fast and B because it is a better car for the money. Vette? hmmmmm. NAH!
Old 12-08-2004, 08:28 AM   #3
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

if it was my money ill take the vette, for sure.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
JoeHahn
Regular User

Wow the Porsche seriously outcorners the Vette on the track when I thought it would be equal and maybe a bit in favour to the Corvette. I guess the Corvette is always going to win on the longer, straighter tracks while the Porsche the opposite.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
coloradosilver
Regular User

Wow, for a $36,000 difference in price it would seem that all you're paing for in the Porsche is the name. What a waste....and a rip off!!!

Go Corvette Go!!
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:09 AM   #6
Guibo
Regular User

Originally Posted by coloradosilver
Wow, for a $36,000 difference in price it would seem that all you're paing for in the Porsche is the name. What a waste....and a rip off!!!

Go Corvette Go!!
Well, you're also paying for more steering precision, more feedback, more sophisticated engine and suspension, slicker gearshift, better interior materials (leather on the dash), better braking, import/duty fees, and whatever it's cost Porsche to make work a layout that others had given up for dead decades ago.
Guibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:39 AM   #7
bmwmpower
Regular User

i read about vette and 911 in new car and driver- wins vette,
because is more then 30 000 USD cheaper
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:53 AM   #8
Fluxlo
Regular User

In the car and driver article they're comparing a standard carrera to a corvette with the z51 handling package. And in that the porsche only lost by one point.

Put the vette up against the CS? different story.
Fluxlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by Guibo

Go Corvette Go!!
Well, you're also paying for more steering precision, more feedback, more sophisticated engine and suspension, slicker gearshift, better interior materials (leather on the dash), better braking, import/duty fees, and whatever it's cost Porsche to make work a layout that others had given up for dead decades ago.
Nope, all that is a matter of opinion! When it comes down to raw power, lap times, and handling, they're pretty much even.

So then it comes down to bang for buck...and thats where the porsche gets it ass kicked!
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:29 PM   #10
Guibo
Regular User

Nope, all that is a matter of opinion! When it comes down to raw power, lap times, and handling, they're pretty much even.

So then it comes down to bang for buck...and thats where the porsche gets it ass kicked!
Uh...I don't think the shorter braking numbers is an opinion. Nor is the fact that the Porsche faces import duties that the C6 doesn't face. In other parts of the world, the C6 is still cheaper, but not by this margin.
Raw power...Once past 60, the C6 is actually noticeably quicker. Imagine if it were geared to hit 186 in 6th instead of 5th.

I agree, for the money the C6 is hard to beat. But if Porsche continues to price their cars this way, and people continue to buy them, then more power to Porsche. Porsche hasn't really ever been about bang for the buck (924's notwithstanding), when compared to the mass market manufacturers.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:34 PM   #11
Guibo
Regular User

Originally Posted by Fluxlo
In the car and driver article they're comparing a standard carrera to a corvette with the z51 handling package. And in that the porsche only lost by one point.

Put the vette up against the CS? different story.
But not much different.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....ber=1&preview=

The CS moves closer to the Corvette in terms of performance, but it also jumps several thousands in price.

Automobile came to the same conclusion in comparing the C6 against the CS. (Although they felt the Corvette's ability to be balanced through turns on the throttle, its higher fun factor, and the appeal of open-top motoring were all factors; not just price alone.)
Old 12-09-2004, 05:34 PM   #12
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Well the 911CS is not that great of a car. Its good yes, but there are faster Porsches out there, the TT for example, and if the C6 is even with the CS then I dont have much respect for the car.....Just think how it would do against a Turbo. :roll:
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:49 PM   #13
Fluxlo
Regular User

There are always faster cars out there and as said for $/performance ratio it's pretty friggen hard to beat the vette, but almost all the reviews i've read about the 997 carrera models says it just works so well together, every piece fits perfectly. Sometimes it isn't about raw numbers, but about how the car works with the driver (drivers can vouch for the satisfaction that brings). It seems in this respect the porsche is unmatched.
Fluxlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:09 PM   #14
Guibo
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Well the 911CS is not that great of a car. Its good yes, but there are faster Porsches out there, the TT for example, and if the C6 is even with the CS then I dont have much respect for the car.....Just think how it would do against a Turbo. :roll:
I doubt GM thinks of the C6 as an answer to the Turbo. They will have another car for that...

Old 12-09-2004, 09:43 PM   #15
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by Guibo
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
I doubt GM thinks of the C6 as an answer to the Turbo. They will have another car for that...

Like? I'd love to see one, because the three way Ferrari, Porsche and now Lambo battle is kind of boring.

The Z02?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote