Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

View Poll Results: Who its Better
Senna 17 36.96%
Prost 0 0%
Schumacher 23 50.00%
Fangio 2 4.35%
Fittipaldi 0 0%
Lauda 2 4.35%
Another 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2004, 10:12 PM   #16
SPAD
Regular User

No doubt senna was an amazing driver but i think that the the juornalists are going to be a bit bias because senna was one of the first talented and succesful driver of there time.But i have not seen senna race that many times and i did not grow up with the passion he brought to formula one at the time so mabe if i had i might be thinking differently.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:13 PM   #17
szumszer
Regular User

schumi had no peers, except for mika, only briefly and at best nowhere near the competition senna had, so there is no question in my mind that both senna and prost were as good or better drivers than schumi, however he has broken almost all records, and it is hardly his fault that he has no equal to challenge him, schumi stands alone in that regard, however given proper competition he would not be today where he is, at the top of f1 racing, senna was probably the best f1 driver ever, but schumi will always be the greatest and most accomplished
szumszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:44 AM   #18
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Isn't just as much an indication of success that Schumacher actually has no peers when he races today? As in not one racing driver can currently challenge him consistently but Senna had regular competition in very race?
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:07 AM   #19
a007apl
Regular User

Guys, remember In Japan prost crash senna, senna return to race and wins but FIA fall Senna.
NEVER another piolt made one race equal!
eh eh in the yera later, Senna crash prost too and wins the competition , eh eh
a007apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:09 AM   #20
a007apl
Regular User

hey, rembember that race in the rain (england if i correct)
Senna in the first lap wins 6 cars , eh eh
Old 06-03-2004, 09:18 AM   #21
stradale
Regular User

Until sameerrao came along with his excellent post I wondered why Nuvolari wasn't mentioned. He definately belongs up there.

I'm not going to pick a winner though. It's impossible to compare them. What I can do is name a couple of what I think are the greatest drivers ever. In that case I come up with Tazio Nuvolari, Juan Manuel Fangio, Jackie Stewart, Stirling Moss, Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:43 AM   #22
tekwar
Regular User

I think its impossible to compare, they all belong in their own era.
But if i had to pick my "favorite", it would definitely be Senna.....
tekwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:43 PM   #23
a007apl
Regular User

Think in one nice race, nice laps, who wins that race
Old 06-03-2004, 01:50 PM   #24
stradale
Regular User

^^ Then the problem is determining in what kind of car...
Old 06-03-2004, 02:31 PM   #25
astonmartinandy
Regular User

The trouble is actually finding a means of fair comparison between all of the great drivers that have been mentioned. To be honest I don't think we will ever agree on any of these drivers being proved any better than any other!
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:37 PM   #26
a007apl
Regular User

the question its if you remember one great racer, who whins that:]
Old 06-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #27
szumszer
Regular User

he has no peers because currently there is no one driving at that level, most drivers are young and inexperienced, some are old and were never that good in the first place, both senna and prost, were as good as schmi is now, if he had to compete against someone like that during every race, all season long, he would be sweating a lot more at the end of each race, and would not win as many world championships (mika was a mere distraction, he was not a driver of senna/prost's status or skill level); another component is that schumi's ferrari is more reliable and much safer than cars other great drivers drove (technical aids matter here a lot less, as schumi, prost and senna are on same pinnacle of driving skills), drivers used to get hurt and die much more frequently in f1, as recently as a few years ago, last few championships were won by schumi while driving under super safe conditions (when was the last time someone died in f1, did i miss something?), with clearly the best car/tire combo, wealthiest team in f1 and no one even close to his skill/experience level, both prost and senna had it much tougher, they had to compete against each other and other world champions: one question, when was the last time schumi had to compete against more than one world champion??? another question, when did he compete even with one single world champion who was as great as senna and/or prost??? i love schumi and he is great, perhaps the greatest, but there needs to be some measuring stick used to gauge greatness, number of championships is not the best indicator, who you compete against to get the championships seems like a better way to judge
szumszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:48 PM   #28
SPAD
Regular User

now that schumi has the 6th championship and i think will get a 7th.I would like to see drivers like mika and jacques come back and give him a challenge.Or get kimmi in a better car.

But i do agree u will never be able to trully say who is better.all different arras had different challenges.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:17 AM   #29
3D_CARD
Regular User

Senna may well be the best qualifier of all time or the fastest over a single lap, but Schumi is certainly the best driver in a race -- he is a combination of superman speed, unparalleled understanding of strategy/car mechanic, multi-lotto winning luck and ice-cool head.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #30
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

I dont mean that Michael Schumacher doesnt deserve the 6 world championships, but for me we are comparing two different periods and for me the period that Senna drove was for me much more difficult...for instance in that period there were 5 drivers capable of wining a world championship in each season such as the same Senna, Alain Prost, Gerhard Berger, Nigel Mansell, and Nelson Piquet as well.....so.....for me its difficult to make a comparison about Michael Schumachers championships vs Ayrton Sennas trajectory in the Formula 1
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote