Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 05-06-2004, 02:05 PM   #16
TT
Regular User

Uhm.. remember that HP alone don't give excitment.. so the most important part is not the engine, but the chassis. And about the chassis beeing based on the real Diablo plans, well, IMO the result will still be leagues from the real thing. If people could really build an exact replica, I'm sure we would see many more replicas around.. a supercar is done by thousands of small details and I'm sure that even a perfect replica with every single small bit exactly replicated, won't come close to the real thing.. not to talk about the "aura" that the replica will enver be able to replicate, but still, if there are people that still loves to spend the money a normal person will spend on a house in their supercars, it's because there is something special in them, not only the status symbol, but well, the thousand of manhours put into them, the passion of all the people involved can't be simply replicated thanks to some sheet of paper IMO
And BTW, your project seem to be quite an expensive one. For sure not like a second hand Diablo, but not really "cheap" since you can't really build a chassis from zero for free if you want a good one, not to talk about buying the original suspensions and so on...
Old 05-06-2004, 02:30 PM   #17
middleton7
Regular User

Expensive? Yes. Outrageous? No. I will have in the neighborhood of $45,000 in it when complete. That is including the suspension, the air-ride system up front, the leather interior, the badging, etc....One of the main reasons that you don't see more replicas on the roads is that most people don't have the time or ability to handle such a project. And about the chassis, that's why I'm going with the exact replica, to ensure chassis rigidity. Most of the people that spend the fortunes on an exotic don't need to buy a fake. They can afford that much and most don't even know about the replicas much less anything about their possibilities. The man hours....Oh yeah, I'm looking at allot of those myself. And the pure pleasure of looking at the completed car and knowing I did that....That makes it that much more exciting to me. As for coming close to the real deal, I've unfortunately seen several pics of the factory's foul-ups. Crappy welds in the rear end and other areas not seen by the average person walking around the car. I'll see if I can find those pics and post a link. It really bothered me to see those given my pure awe of Lamborghini as a company. But all in all, I think you'ld be pleasantly surprised if you saw and drove a WELL BUILT replica. There are allot of really shoddy replicas rolling around. I'm ashamed of the replica world for such abominations. Check this guys site out, it'll give ya an idea of what goes into a good build....http://www.lambobuilder.com/edb/
He asks a bit more for one than I think is reasonable, but that's allot of work.
middleton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:13 PM   #18
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by middleton7
But all in all, I think you'ld be pleasantly surprised if you saw and drove a WELL BUILT replica.
Surprised ??? More like AMAZED to see any replica that doesn't want to make me burst out laughing....pleasantly ????....to see any car design ripped off kinda makes me feel sad rather than want to admire an attempt to try and copy something.

What will you say to people that ask you about it....will you tell them thats its a fake or try to pass it off as a real Lamborghini ??

I never thought that I would ever own a Lamborghini so I tried to get the closet car that I could afford to it...a Lotus Esprit SE that was slightly similar in looks to the Diablo (with some of Imagination ) and wasn't exactly slow either...but at least it was genuine and I could drive it with pride rather than embarrassment.

I am not sure what its like outside the UK but here replicas have virtually no residual value and you will be pushed to find a dealer that would want to take one off your hands...and as for insurance....I think that would be another dream....

I am flattered that you might want to try and copy my car and it would make a great feature for the jokes and humor section.
My advice...keep on saving and I am sure you will be able to buy a 2WD Diablo soon and that will never be worth much less than what you have paid for it...
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #19
middleton7
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
Originally Posted by middleton7
But all in all, I think you'ld be pleasantly surprised if you saw and drove a WELL BUILT replica.
Surprised ??? More like AMAZED to see any replica that doesn't want to make me burst out laughing....pleasantly ????....to see any car design ripped off kinda makes me feel sad rather than want to admire an attempt to try and copy something.

What will you say to people that ask you about it....will you tell them thats its a fake or try to pass it off as a real Lamborghini ??

I never thought that I would ever own a Lamborghini so I tried to get the closet car that I could afford to it...a Lotus Esprit SE that was slightly similar in looks to the Diablo (with some of Imagination ) and wasn't exactly slow either...but at least it was genuine and I could drive it with pride rather than embarrassment.

I am not sure what its like outside the UK but here replicas have virtually no residual value and you will be pushed to find a dealer that would want to take one off your hands...and as for insurance....I think that would be another dream....

I am flattered that you might want to try and copy my car and it would make a great feature for the jokes and humor section.
My advice...keep on saving and I am sure you will be able to buy a 2WD Diablo soon and that will never be worth much less than what you have paid for it...
Wow, that was kinda rude. I had begun to think that wasn't really that common in here. And it's not YOUR car that I'm trying to COPY. If you spend your time on something and then are embarrassed about it, you didn't really need to spend the time on it in the first place. I would proudly say that I DID THAT. How many people build there own car? An exotic LOOKING car at that. As for insurance, from what I've come across, it's not too bad. Trade-in value? I don't think so. I would never trade in something I put that much time and care in anyway. JOKES? That's really sad that you would feel the need to make fun of others to feel better about yourself. In most cases that relates to an inadequacy in your life. Not rude, just facts. If you now feel the need to remove me or block me from your site, I understand, but those are facts.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:08 PM   #20
Jabba
Regular User

I didn't really say that I was laughing at the people with the cars...I said I was laughing at the cars....but your right....how can you not laugh at the assholes that build them as well....

If your talking about inadequacys.....remember I am not the one building fake cars and pretending to own something that I don't.

I will ask the question again.....

When asked about your "car"....will you admit that its a fake Lamborghini or try to pass it off as a real one ?
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:28 PM   #21
TT
Regular User

How many people build there own car?
Then build a kit car, not a replica.. rewarding and at least you won't create a "fake"...

If you want to build a Diablo why not a nice and big scale model.. say 1/4 or so.. it would be quite nice too... I know we can sound rude as you said, but I think the replica lovers are very very rare...
Old 05-06-2004, 05:37 PM   #22
Anonymous

Very interesting 'discussion' i can't say i have ever seen a good replica i.e one that hasn't made me laugh! And as a design student i would be very hurt if anyone ever copied one of my designs epeciallly if they did a very poor job, I think its just not right to copy another persons design especially if you then sell a kit based upon it. Generally people don't consider the amount of work which goes into design for isntance i have been working on the design of an MP3 player for some months for the first year of my degree and i wouldn't like to think about the amount of hours i have put into this relatively small project, so would it be right for someone else who has put no creative work in to simply copy it an sell it?

This is my personal opinion and i think the designers of the cars that have been blatently copied would agree.

BTW I agree i think you won't find many (if any) replica enthusiasts on Jworld
Old 05-06-2004, 11:16 PM   #23
RC45
Regular User

I had no idea the "n00b" threads were so much fun...

I have missed out in a lot...

BTW, you can pickup a used Diablo in the States for as little as $150,000 - which is "cheap at the price".

A replica Diablo will fall far short of the true performance potential anyway.

Save yourself the trouble and get a used Z06..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:18 AM   #24
levensnevel
Regular User

Having said all that I have to confess that I greatly enjoyed one of the "Car is (re)born" programs from Mark Evans on Discovery Channel in which he built an AC Cobra replica. And to be quite frank: I sometimes dream away and find myself building a Ford RS200 replica :roll:

Niets of niemand zegt dat het echt moet
En toch, of juist daarom,wil je het beleven....

Weblog
levensnevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:26 AM   #25
PATo355
Regular User

Bah , first congratulates to middleton7 for the longest lasting NOOB "how to dl videos" thread .

Making Replicas of Lambos is really sick , why try to make something to tell ppl that you OWN a Lambo when its a fucking fake !
Here it happens with TM expensive shirts like Lacoste or Polo , ppl with no money to afford that shit buys replicas , that are 10% of the price , then i think , why would you try being or appearing something else that you are not , if i dont have money i prefer to own something cheap and wear it with pride cuz its my work and my money , than building a shitty replica to make other ppl think that i am rich , i think its pretty sad , really sad .

Get yourself a good sports car , maybe an used R32 , An Old impreza WRX , you can get a good perfomance car wich are amazing and gorgeous and you will get what you want , not driving something you are not !!! .

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:06 AM   #26
TT
Regular User

Once the deck lid is opened, the V8 is revealed and the illusion is ruined. We have addressed this with an engine cover that sits on top of the LS1. It is an exact representation of a V12
Oh MY!! That's exactly the point!! Illusion... and of course when you will be there with your nice replica parked in front of you, nobody could guess it actually is a fake car :roll:

I have to admit there are some very very nice replicas around, remember the evo article about Ferrari ones? Almost impossible to see they are fake, especially from the outside and of course when the engine isn't turning... but that's simply sick and wrong. No idea why to me too, AC Cobra's replica seem more acceptable.. maybe because I'm not to much into American culture and for a true american car nut also Cobra replicas are not to be done...

Everybody has his tastes of course, but I guess JW won't be the right place to show off your fake Diablo when it will be built...
Old 05-07-2004, 09:27 AM   #27
Anonymous

Originally Posted by TT

Everybody has his tastes of course, but I guess JW won't be the right place to show off your fake Diablo when it will be built...
LOL we should make a poll about this something to the affect of "would you buy a replica supercar" yes/no and ask them to posts their reasons why. Though I think i already know what the result would be :roll: . Personally i just hate the way other peoples hard work is ripped off and sold but it would be good if we heard from some more people who like replicas so they can try and argue their point, would be interesting IMO
Old 05-07-2004, 10:39 AM   #28
corvette97
Regular User

make a lambo replica with a v8 and slam 2 turbos there and i wont be mad at you
Old 05-07-2004, 10:49 AM   #29
middleton7
Regular User

JABBA
I didn't really say that I was laughing at the people with the cars...I said I was laughing at the cars....but your right....how can you not laugh at the assholes that build them as well....

If your talking about inadequacys.....remember I am not the one building fake cars and pretending to own something that I don't.

I will ask the question again.....

When asked about your "car"....will you admit that its a fake Lamborghini or try to pass it off as a real one ?
#1 Assholes? Okay, once again your opinion ( as well as allot of others it seems)
#2 Inadequacys? You have the have those cars to make yourself feel adequate? I'm sorry for that. I would still feel completely adequate if I was driving a Yugo. I provide a good life and home for my children which is the most important thing in my life.
#3 Pretending? No, if you look back at the post right before this one, I said, " I would proudly say that I DID THAT." Meaning, if I met someone who asked me about the car, I would proudly tell them that I had built it and it wasn't the real thing. I'm not doing it to impress anyone. Everyone I need to impress is right here in my house. My wife and my kids. I'm building this for me. I will enjoy building and driving it.

TT
Then build a kit car, not a replica.. rewarding and at least you won't create a "fake"...

If you want to build a Diablo why not a nice and big scale model.. say 1/4 or so.. it would be quite nice too... I know we can sound rude as you said, but I think the replica lovers are very very rare...
Oh MY!! That's exactly the point!! Illusion... and of course when you will be there with your nice replica parked in front of you, nobody could guess it actually is a fake car

I have to admit there are some very very nice replicas around, remember the evo article about Ferrari ones? Almost impossible to see they are fake, especially from the outside and of course when the engine isn't turning... but that's simply sick and wrong. No idea why to me too, AC Cobra's replica seem more acceptable.. maybe because I'm not to much into American culture and for a true american car nut also Cobra replicas are not to be done...

#1 1/4 scale. Funny....
#2 Illusion. I totally agree. But everyone that has posted has decided to draw conclusions from their own mind. I'm not going with the FAKE engine cover. I think looking down on an LS6 with twin turbos will impressive enough. But once again, I'M NOT TRYING TO IMPRESS ANYONE. Just ME.
#3 Showing off? No, sharing my enjoyment.

AL123
Very interesting 'discussion' i can't say i have ever seen a good replica i.e one that hasn't made me laugh! And as a design student i would be very hurt if anyone ever copied one of my designs especially if they did a very poor job, I think its just not right to copy another persons design especially if you then sell a kit based upon it. Generally people don't consider the amount of work which goes into design for instance i have been working on the design of an MP3 player for some months for the first year of my degree and i wouldn't like to think about the amount of hours i have put into this relatively small project, so would it be right for someone else who has put no creative work in to simply copy it an sell it?

This is my personal opinion and i think the designers of the cars that have been blatantly copied would agree.

BTW I agree i think you won't find many (if any) replica enthusiasts on Jworld
#1 "i can't say i have ever seen a good replica" . Have you ever seen a strand of DNA? Does that mean they don't exist?
#2 "especially if they did a very poor job" That's the thing, I said that already. There are allot of poor examples running around that embarrass me. I hate to see people do shoddy work and parade it around as the real thing. ridiculous.

RC45
I had no idea the "n00b" threads were so much fun...

I have missed out in a lot...

BTW, you can pickup a used Diablo in the States for as little as $150,000 - which is "cheap at the price".

A replica Diablo will fall far short of the true performance potential anyway.

Save yourself the trouble and get a used Z06..
#1 I have driven several Z06's, but I've never been a fan of Chevrolets body craftsmenship.I do agree that it's an outstanding car for American made, but just not what I want. The active suspension is a very nice touch on the new ones. Responds well. But, if I wanted a Z06, I would buy one. Obviously since I'm putting this amount of time into it, it's something I enjoy.
#2 Used Diablo. Ya know, I could feasibly go and pay cash for a new one right now, but that would kinda leave the kids college funds a bit short. And why would I pay $150,000 for someone elses car that they had very possibly ragged? When I'm done, I will have a new car for less than 1/3 that. And, none of those $20,000 visits to the factory for an overhaul at 20,000 miles. It's a damn Chevrolet engine. It doesn't need to be rebuilt or retightened at 20,000 miles. If anything does go wrong, I can rebuild it with my eyes closed.
#3 "A replica Diablo will fall far short of the true performance potential anyway". Far short? How far is far short? In what way? acceleration? Doubtful. Stock Z06 is about .5 seconds slower to 60MPH. That's not with the twin turbos. Top speed? Yeah, definitely. But, when you get to the mid 100's ( 150, 160, 170,) it's a moot point here in America. Handling? Have you ever driven a Diablo or a replica? What are you basing your statement on?

BREMBO
Well this is what the site offering the replica kits say:

One of the issues all replica owners have faced is after the observer has commented on the body style and the interior they invariably want to look at the engine. Once the deck lid is opened, the V8 is revealed and the illusion is ruined. We have addressed this with an engine cover that sits on top of the LS1. It is an exact representation of a V12. The side treatments of the engine compartment compliment the engine dressing. The cover is actually bolted to the engine such that as the engine moves, the cover moves enhancing the illusion that what they are seeing is really an authentic Lamborghini.

so I think this answers it self......

On the other hand I respect the work being put in a job building a car,but if you buy a kit isn't really just to assemble a car and not actually building it???

everybody got their own taste and if replicas are your thing thats fine and Im impressed with people building and making stuff by their self, and I know how much work it can be to just do a rebuild of a car as Im in the progress of doing that.

The thing about replicas is that it will be just that and not the real thing of course they can look good as the one on the site you posted do but you cant beat the real thing even if it have 600 hp.

This is just my opinion and Im sure you will have a lot of fun putting it together and finally driving it.....
#1 "but if you buy a kit isn't really just to assemble a car and not actually building it???" Yes, if you're buying a kit. I'm buying the body. Everything else is being built by me. They are to plans of a sort, but this is not a model car you just bolt together.
#2 The real thing. I completely agree. I think you could look at all my posts and see me saying that in many places.

LEVENSNEVEL
Having said all that I have to confess that I greatly enjoyed one of the "Car is (re)born" programs from Mark Evans on Discovery Channel in which he built an AC Cobra replica. And to be quite frank: I sometimes dream away and find myself building a Ford RS200 replica
Despite what most of the people on the site are saying, IT'S OKAY.

PATo355
Bah , first congratulates to middleton7 for the longest lasting NOOB "how to dl videos" thread .

Making Replicas of Lambos is really sick , why try to make something to tell ppl that you OWN a Lambo when its a fucking fake !
Here it happens with TM expensive shirts like Lacoste or Polo , ppl with no money to afford that shit buys replicas , that are 10% of the price , then i think , why would you try being or appearing something else that you are not , if i don't have money i prefer to own something cheap and wear it with pride cuz its my work and my money , than building a shitty replica to make other ppl think that i am rich , i think its pretty sad , really sad .

Get yourself a good sports car , maybe an used R32 , An Old impreza WRX , you can get a good performance car wich are amazing and gorgeous and you will get what you want , not driving something you are not !!!

#1 "Making Replicas of Lambos is really sick , why try to make something to tell ppl that you OWN a Lambo when its a fucking fake !". Please refer to all my other post. I don't plan on saying I've got a "Lambo".
#2 " own something cheap and wear it with pride cuz its my work and my money". Your money? Kinda making my point for me. I will build it and drive it with pride because I did it with my skill and my money.
#3 "make other ppl think that i am rich". Is that why you want an exotic car like the Enzo on your sig? To make people think or know your rich? How about everyone else that has a nice car? Jabba? Do you think he bought the cars he has just to make people know he has money? I doubt it. I think it's probably because he enjoys the cars.
#4 "and you will get what you want". That's exactly what I'm doing.

Now, here's my part. I spent time in the US ARMY, and I spent time in the civilian life but in the Middle East working a quite nice job. Made lotsa money, but I quit that. I decided that being with my family was more important than making all that cash. I was able to acquire a very nice savings account due to this. I could very easily go and buy a New Diablo, but that would take away all that I worked for. There goes my kids college tuition, my retirement, my just in case funds. So, in order for me to achieve my dream, I see this as my best bet. My dream isn't to own a nice used WRX STI, Z06, 911, etc...It has always been a Lamborghini. If this is the way I have to go in order to achieve my dream, then so be it. THis is what I'm doing. I'm not a David Koresh trying to recruit people for my evil Replica cult. I was simply chatting about what I'm doing and like to do. ONCE AGAIN, I would definitely rather have the real thing, but situations do not permit such, and as long as I want to stay with my family and watch my kids grow up, I'll never make enough to justify spending that much. If none of you can understand, then I'm sorry. That's not my failure. I've done my best to explain in the easiest to understand terms.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:54 AM   #30
middleton7
Regular User

Originally Posted by corvette97
make a lambo replica with a v8 and slam 2 turbos there and i wont be mad at you
If it's sarcasm, save it. If your being honest, thanks.