Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 03-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
evoWalo
Regular User

Default About to buy a PS3... need advice

I'm about to leave the US within the next 2-3 weeks and would like to take advantage of the deals online.

I am planning to buy the $400 PS3 40GB. I read on wikipedia that the PS3 can accommodate up to 7 controllers but my question is what game can use 7 controllers.

I know there will be price cut down the line in a few months time what with MS being whipped in sales but play-asia would probably not reflect it.

Your generous suggestions are most welcome. Will either be connecting this to a 1080p LCD front projector or a 40-inch LCD TV.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Up to 7? That's an odd number. I've only seen 4 player games. And the controllers come with only 4 LED lights at the top left for controller designation.

*nevermind. It "can". But no one makes 7 player games...

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 03-18-2008 at 11:43 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
rave426
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Up to 7? That's an odd number. I've only seen 4 player games. And the controllers come with only 4 LED lights at the top left for controller designation.

*nevermind. It "can". But no one makes 7 player games...
Mario Party for PS3
Old 04-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by rave426 View Post
Mario Party for PS3
Hahaha. Like Gran Turismo 5 for Wii.

*It's 4 player anyways.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

No games support that many, Its just another dumb gimmick of the PS3. 4 is all you ever need.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
xbeakerx
Regular User

not that it means anything to you but the PS3 will have a bundle pack in june with the 80gig for $499. it will come with medal gear solid and two controllers(rumored)
xbeakerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by MidEngine4Life View Post
No games support that many, Its just another dumb gimmick of the PS3. 4 is all you ever need.
Unlike the very useful HD DVD that was available for the XBox360 there for a short while... right?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Unlike the very useful HD DVD that was available for the XBox360 there for a short while... right?
Very true, both systems have things that leave you scratching your head. Like ive always said though, I owned both at one point. I just prefer all the games I can get on the xbox.

GT5 "looks" pretty and Im sure its a blast to play with the volume on mute, but its not enough to make me want my PS3 back (Although I do occasionally miss playing Formula One )

Last edited by MidEngine4Life; 04-01-2008 at 08:42 PM.
MidEngine4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Very true, both systems have things that leave you scratching your head. Like ive always said though, I owned both at one point. I just prefer all the games I can get on the xbox.

GT5 "looks" pretty and Im sure its a blast to play with the volume on mute, but its not enough to make me want my PS3 back (Although I do occasionally miss playing Formula One )
GT5 looks way better than any driving game has ever looked on any system ever.. and aas for being on "mute"? Why? The sounds are actually pretty good - rather better than almost everything else out there.

Not to mention the Blu-Ray.. but I digress, I need to egt back to watching a movie in BD HiDef
Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 AM   #10
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Unless ive been watching old clips of the game the engine sounds and tire squeal sound straight out of the first Gran Turismo. Drives me insane. No pun intended
Old 04-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Unless ive been watching old clips of the game the engine sounds and tire squeal sound straight out of the first Gran Turismo. Drives me insane. No pun intended
Unless ive been watching old clips of the game
So you are basing judgement on 14th hand YouTubes and not personal experience then?

Not only that - but you are using the pre-release-pre-alpha-free-demo verison of a future game to pass judgement of the future release

The actual "for pay" pre-release-prologue-of-a-future-title GT5 Prologue tyre squeal sounds are not bad at all - considering yo ushould be avoiding squealing tyres at all costs

But I am interested to hear about those now useless HD DVD add-on doodads for all those 360's out there
Old 04-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #12
evoWalo
Regular User

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #13
AntR
Regular User

Congrats, I'm glad you succeeded as I wasn't so lucky.

Went to the Sony store to buy one last weekend only to discover that Sony Thailand has a unique approach to combating the rampant piracy here. That being they don't stock or sell PS3's and won't be in the future either. So basically the only way to buy one is off some dodgy punter 'importing' them.

Same experience with my PSP (which I at least managed to buy), do you think I could buy legitimate copies of games, not bloody likely!
AntR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #14
RC45
Regular User

I think I know where they get their tyre squealing sounds from... Real life hehehe

Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 AM   #15
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
So you are basing judgement on 14th hand YouTubes and not personal experience then?

Not only that - but you are using the pre-release-pre-alpha-free-demo verison of a future game to pass judgement of the future release

The actual "for pay" pre-release-prologue-of-a-future-title GT5 Prologue tyre squeal sounds are not bad at all - considering yo ushould be avoiding squealing tyres at all costs

But I am interested to hear about those now useless HD DVD add-on doodads for all those 360's out there
lol Im more or less basing it with my experiences with GTHD on my PS3 before I sold it. Every tire squeal sound ive ever heard in a GT game sounded like a hurricane trying to squeeze through a straw. Just intense wind. Its hilariously bad

Lol look at that jump! Realistic physics! wow!
^That sound it horrid! Please someone hit mute fast!^

Now the real deal
Its even worse when it comes to muscle cars

Please! Stop being a fan boy. It hurts

Im honestly not saying Forza is better, im not saying anything is better, Im saying I think this game gets too much credit. Its not THAT great, really. They can do better

Last edited by MidEngine4Life; 04-11-2008 at 04:54 AM.
MidEngine4Life is offline   Reply With Quote